Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2012, 19:29   #2956
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

My microwave usage has dropped substantially with the huge hike in electricity prices. Where possible, I now use the stove by preference, even though it might be a little less convenient and create a little more washing up ...which doesn't get done by me anyway!

However, I still miss my old Panasonic, and wish that I'd spent the extra rather than settling for LG.
Old 12th July 2012, 01:15   #2957
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
I paid around 7000 rupees for the LG around 7 years ago. It was a 23L with grill and convection. It was used pretty much everyday for heating, making rice and grilling once in a while. This was not the first failure. It had failed after 4 years once - the power transformer had blown and it cost me 1200 to fix it that time.

This time round, the oven would work but there was no heating - the magnetron was kaput.

Since we do not know whether this ceramic enamel will last, its best to get stainless steel since we know it lasts for sure . Like everything else samsung, I'm more inclined to believe its a gimmick since the company seems to survive purely on gimmicks.
You may well be right. Samsung says their ceramic coating is tougher to scratch than stainless steel. But it may well be a gimmick. Maybe their coating works out cheaper than providing a SS interior, and the rest is all marketing gimmickry. I got LG because I got I got the right size and a cheaper deal with a dealer... and somehow I'm not a Samsung fan. Gimmickry sure is a turn-off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
However, I still miss my old Panasonic, and wish that I'd spent the extra rather than settling for LG.
Why do you say that? Whats better in Panasonic MWs?

Last edited by Raccoon : 12th July 2012 at 01:16.
Old 15th July 2012, 20:01   #2958
BANNED

Hi,

Anybody has feedback about the Whirlpool Proton 3 door refrigerator (where vegetable box is separate) Whirlpool India > Products > Refrigerators > Frost Control > FP 283D PROTTON DLX CRYSTAL INOX. This refrigerator looks good and has good large 25L vegetable basket.

There was no power rating (BEE style) printed on the refrigerator. So I want some feedback of the efficiency in that respect.

Bajaj Electronics @Panjjagutta was quoting 23.6k as final price for 260L one. They also offered around 1.5k for my old single door refrigerator.
Old 15th July 2012, 21:16   #2959
BHPian

my folks just came back after checking a Hitachi refrigerator. 318L for around 29K...

and all brands have similar model in the similar price range. Anyone experiences with the brand ??
Old 16th July 2012, 00:26   #2960
Senior - BHPian

On feedback, here is some more.. was out appliance hunting most of this weekend and Panasonic has a new line up of inverter tech equipped refrigerators. Two door with the freezer at the bottom but the internal cavity is cavernous, do take a look if not bought one already. Priced between 70~90K for 500 ~ 600 litres, these are on diaplay at Panasonic brand shops only at the moment.

I also looked around for the R 888R but this seems to have been replaced with a R 888 ST 'made in Indonesia' model. If your old dealer still has one do let me know never mind if he is not in Dilli.

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. Looks like this is the model to get in a reasonable budget. There are a couple of sharps too that are worth a look I guess. I did see a few even larger GE french door fridges but I don't think I need an industrial sized fridge.

I ended up buying a Sharp Mid Convection R-888R

Sharp

This is basically the JDM model being sold in India as is without modification. Comes with Japanese cookbooks and manuals . Haven't had any trouble in the last 10-11 months. Highly recommended!

Here's some more feedback, this time on the Samsung micros with Enamel coating. Bought ours nearly a decade ago with Blue enamel coating which is as good as it was on day one. IIRC I did post pictures of the same in this thread some months ago. The model we have is 'made in Korea' maybe that is why I am being paranoid about getting the made in Nippon R888R, as I feel that products coming out of their mother plants tend to be better in quality compared to those coming out of overseas subsidiaries whether in India or Indonesia or anywhere else for that matter.

Quote:
Since we do not know whether this ceramic enamel will last, its best to get stainless steel since we know it lasts for sure . Like everything else samsung, I'm more inclined to believe its a gimmick since the company seems to survive purely on gimmicks.
Old 16th July 2012, 01:45   #2961
Senior - BHPian

^^^Good to know that the enable has lasted in your case. However, it may depend on the usage pattern. I mean, will the enamel survive several cleaning attempts? For eg. few weeks ago my mom put something inside which spewed pretty sticky drops on the walls after the stuff got hot. Cleaning baked stains like that ain't easy. Will Samsung's enamel survive all that?

Anybody knows whats the best way to clean such baked on stains on the inner cavity; which is minimally invasive on the stainless steel inside? I believe you get commercial stuff abroad that is ment for the purpose. Never seen any such product here.
Old 16th July 2012, 14:06   #2962
Senior - BHPian

I had a good laugh upon reading that. I would think that 10 years is time enough for a few things to have had the opportunity to stick to the insides and then having been cleaned off. As for usage patterns and enamel coating being a gimmick, well there must be tens of thousands of households around the World where enamel coated microwave ovens and millions of households if we were to include enamel coated cooking utensils are being put through the same cook, stick, wipe/wash routine. Obviously the longevity and sturdiness of the enamel coating must be globally acceptable otherwise it's usage would have died off ages ago.

As for the cleaning, it is not rocket science. I have seen the ladies of the house sponge the innards of the oven with hot/warm soapy water along with baking soda or at times white vinegar and then drying it up with another soft cloth. For very stubborn stick ons they mix 1/2 cup white vinegar with 1/2 cup water in a MW safe bowl & bring it to boil inside the MW. The sticky stuff loosens up and all odours disappear, next is to wipe clean with a soft cloth. As long as one does not use abrasive material for wiping and ends up scratching the enamel, it is all good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Good to know that the enable has lasted in your case. However, it may depend on the usage pattern. I mean, will the enamel survive several cleaning attempts? For eg. few weeks ago my mom put something inside which spewed pretty sticky drops on the walls after the stuff got hot. Cleaning baked stains like that ain't easy. Will Samsung's enamel survive all that?

Anybody knows whats the best way to clean such baked on stains on the inner cavity; which is minimally invasive on the stainless steel inside? I believe you get commercial stuff abroad that is ment for the purpose. Never seen any such product here.
Old 16th July 2012, 16:31   #2963
Senior - BHPian

^^^Not sure what was laughable about that.

You seem to have implied that all enamels are the same? Or have I missed something somewhere? We are discussing Samsung's ceramic enamel only. The enamel used on utensils and whatever else is different! That said, and frankly put, I'm not aware of the durability of enamelware in general. AFAIK we've never had any in the house. I'd seriously doubt if its more durable than SS. Anyway, we aren't really discussing other enamel types right now...

As for cleaning with Vinegar, vinegar = water + acetic acid. Which means its a mild acid. So I'm not too sure how safe it would be on stainless steel in the long run.
Old 16th July 2012, 21:51   #2964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Hi,

Anybody has feedback about the Whirlpool Proton 3 door refrigerator (where vegetable box is separate) Whirlpool India > Products > Refrigerators > Frost Control > FP 283D PROTTON DLX CRYSTAL INOX. This refrigerator looks good and has good large 25L vegetable basket.

There was no power rating (BEE style) printed on the refrigerator. So I want some feedback of the efficiency in that respect.

Bajaj Electronics @Panjjagutta was quoting 23.6k as final price for 260L one. They also offered around 1.5k for my old single door refrigerator.
I am using the 330l (I think) variant for about a couple of years now. Haven't faced any issue and there hasn't been any spike in the power bills as well. Only thing is, you sometimes hear ice falling off at nights due to auto de-frost.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:04   #2965
Senior - BHPian

I get this E7 error from prestige induction cooker. If i power it off and then on, it works without E7, and this repeats randomly. Do i need to visit the service centre?
Old 16th July 2012, 22:23   #2966
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
I get this E7 error from prestige induction cooker. If i power it off and then on, it works without E7, and this repeats randomly. Do i need to visit the service centre?
I found this page on a googling a bit.

What is Induction Cooker? How Induction Cooker Works? | Texient.com - Technical News, Articles and Blogs
Quote:
Induction Cook Top Standard Error Codes:
E0 - Ensure the pot or pan is placed correctly
E1 - The circuit has malfunctioned
E2 - The temperature sensor is opening circuit or short circuit
E3 - The voltage is higher (140V-160V)for 3 seconds
E4 - The voltage is lower (80V-100V) for 3 seconds
E5 - The cook-top surface temperature is too high
E6 - Internal Electronic Temperature is higher than normal for 3 seconds
E7 - Internal Electronic Temperature sensor is opening circuit or short circuit
When short circuit is mentioned, I would rather not use the device without having someone check it out first.
Old 16th July 2012, 22:34   #2967
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

how can anyone buy a crockpot in India? Slow cooker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Any experiences folks?
Old 16th July 2012, 22:34   #2968
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I am using the 330l (I think) variant for about a couple of years now. Haven't faced any issue and there hasn't been any spike in the power bills as well. Only thing is, you sometimes hear ice falling off at nights due to auto de-frost.
Thanks for the feedback Jaguar. I was skeptical about the refrigerator after reading few reviews over the internet and thinking of choosing some other brands (like Panasonic bottom freezer range). 3 door is still running in my mind. Many people have reported ice being formed in the vegetable compartment.

Today went to TMC. Checked for the prices on Panasonic models
260L (refrigerator space 220L): 18.8k
290L (refrigerator space 240L): 21.6k

They look ok, however, the color options are not that bright.

Any suggestions? Should I go for Panasonic or Whirlpool 3 door?
Old 19th July 2012, 13:02   #2969
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
IFB quality was very good. I got the washing machine 9 years back and we have not faced any major problem so far other than the motor conking off now. The product quality/ service does not seem to be good now. I will go for another brand if it gives problems.

Indian customers are smart. IFB already has a bad name among my social circle. The current strategy will not take them far.
The washing machine keeps giving issues - the main dripping, smoke etc - even after changing motor. The service is pathetic and they have been unable to fix the problem. They are more interested in selling other accessories like water softener. I am going for another brand after giving it one more chance. The AMC is of no use as the service technicians are incompetent and the parts are refurbished.
Old 19th July 2012, 13:11   #2970
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at getting a washing machine . Top or front loading I don't know . Any help guys ?

Main requirement - Need to clean the collars and cuffs without me pre brushing or scrubbing . Also need to clean the pants decently .

Load would be 5 pairs of pant and shirts at weekend and once or twice in weekdays . More load taking better .

Reliablity and A.S.S should be high .

Last edited by black12rr : 19th July 2012 at 13:13.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks