Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st March 2012, 19:58   #2731
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
He was referring to the drum motor.

I agree. I will stay away from IFB from now on. They replaced with a refurbished motor and it burned off after connecting, now replaced with another one. Hope it will stay until the AMC gets over. I would recommend to have AMC for IFB products.

The only plus point was that the service executives used to come with follow up.
Don't you see their plan? Sell low quality products so customer is forced to buy expensive AMCs. If you don't, then buy expensive spares (and labor). Its a win-win solution for the company to increase its profits and that too with substandard products.

I do realize that for those who have already fallen into the trap of patronizing such companies, its a loss-loss situation whatever you do. But seriously, it may be better to write off such a product when expensive repairs come up and invest the money in a more reliable product instead.

I'm dead against AMCs.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:00   #2732
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Don't you see their plan? Sell low quality products so customer is forced to buy expensive AMCs. If you don't, then buy expensive spares (and labor). Its a win-win solution for the company to increase its profits and that too with substandard products.

I do realize that for those who have already fallen into the trap of patronizing such companies, its a loss-loss situation whatever you do. But seriously, it may be better to write off such a product when expensive repairs come up and invest the money in a more reliable product instead.

I'm dead against AMCs.
IFB quality was very good. I got the washing machine 9 years back and we have not faced any major problem so far other than the motor conking off now. The product quality/ service does not seem to be good now. I will go for another brand if it gives problems.

Indian customers are smart. IFB already has a bad name among my social circle. The current strategy will not take them far.
Old 2nd March 2012, 10:41   #2733
BHPian

Quote:
I would recommend to have AMC for IFB products.
I seriously doubt their AMC policy. As per AMC, they should be replacing the parts (except rubber and plastic parts). But they replace with refurbished parts. Even the lock that they replaced in my WM is not new.

The rubber parts that they replace is not from IFB. I have very serious doubts on their entire service setup.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:24   #2734
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajakumar View Post
I seriously doubt their AMC policy. As per AMC, they should be replacing the parts (except rubber and plastic parts). But they replace with refurbished parts. Even the lock that they replaced in my WM is not new.

The rubber parts that they replace is not from IFB. I have very serious doubts on their entire service setup.
You get the same parts if you buy them instead of going for AMC. So it is better to have AMC and later dump the product if it is not at all reliable.
Old 2nd March 2012, 11:40   #2735
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IFB quality was very good. I got the washing machine 9 years back and we have not faced any major problem so far other than the motor conking off now. The product quality/ service does not seem to be good now. I will go for another brand if it gives problems.

Indian customers are smart. IFB already has a bad name among my social circle. The current strategy will not take them far.
Indian customers are smart? Well, how many customers do some proper research before buying expensive white goods? Had this discussion with 2 - 3 friends in the past. The last one was just 2 days ago. The wife of one and mother of other were both insisting on purchasing IFB because their decade old IFB machines were so good. I'm not sure how well I was able to impress upon them that you cannot base current expectation on past performance in this fast changing world.

Well, India is a large market with all kinds of customers. I feel even their current strategy may work upto a certain time. Once it stops working, they will most likely mend their ways and again gain customers. True, they would loose good-will. They may not become market leaders. But hey, in such a large market you probably could still make some hay as the Sun in India has plenty of inertia and will always move much slower than such companies.

Last edited by Raccoon : 2nd March 2012 at 11:42.
Old 2nd March 2012, 12:03   #2736
BHPian

Was looking at 3 burner glasstop gas stoves yesterday, at a Sunflame dealer and in a Prestige samrt kitchen outlet. I felt the models offered by both brands in this particular specs are remarkably similar, probably sourced from the same manufacturer and rebranded. Sunflame one is ~500rs costlier than Presitge.

Any thoughts on buying a glass top one compared to a stainless steel model? Or there any other VFM brands which offer brass burners and good knobs which last for years?
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:18   #2737
BANNED

In fact in many cases even if the corporate is honest (not all are) a major problem is the local service guy (in many cases it is outsourced). One reason for IFBs decline may be this. I had a Eureka Forbes chap pocketing the AMC money and issuing a fake (as claimed by EF) receipt. Also, Samsung in Kanpur were excellent until they outsourced. Today I am doubtful whether I will even buy a TV (which is very unlikely to require service) from Samsung local Reliance Digital and Jumbo outlets notwithstanding.
Old 3rd March 2012, 01:28   #2738
Senior - BHPian

^^^ Hello there, long time!

Quite true about the outsourcing. However, in case of IFB the product quality itself has gone down. Dishonest outsourced Service Centers is another issue. However, in my personal experience, they did not do anything that would let me call them dishonest. But that would obviously differ from area to area.

Anyway, the best product is always the one for which you never need service.
Old 3rd March 2012, 08:08   #2739
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As per AMC, they should be replacing the parts (except rubber and plastic parts). But they replace with refurbished parts.
Does the AMC contract mention that they will replace with new parts only ? I dont think so. Most times, the gist of the AMC is that they will keep the unit in working condition, repair or replace the faulty part as required. And warranty for replaced parts will not supersede the warranty of the whole unit itself.

Now, if a part can be repaired, then that is also as good as replacing the part with a working old part, only difference is that the old part was also from your machine.
Old 3rd March 2012, 17:03   #2740
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone used this water filter?
HUL Pureit Autofill Water Filter

I am currently using AquaSure storage water filter (3 years so far) and now looking for a change.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:12   #2741
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Does the AMC contract mention that they will replace with new parts only ? I dont think so. Most times, the gist of the AMC is that they will keep the unit in working condition, repair or replace the faulty part as required. And warranty for replaced parts will not supersede the warranty of the whole unit itself.

Now, if a part can be repaired, then that is also as good as replacing the part with a working old part, only difference is that the old part was also from your machine.
If they are indeed replacing with re furbished parts, then all the more not to consider AMCs. Firstly, even in the period of AMC, repairs take time. I'v had to come specially and wait for hours while the carry out repairs. Its really a huge hassle when it keeps happening.

Further, parts are poor quality plus refurbished. So double poor quality! You'll always be stuck with the AMC. If you miss renewing even for few days, you risk big expenses. You'll be a perfect captive customer.

Don't patronize such companies. If you already have made the mistake, consider cutting your losses and run when big expenses come up.
Old 3rd March 2012, 20:36   #2742
BANNED

Quote:
Indian customers are smart.
That is what I will call an oxymoron.

Quote:

Ditto here. Once they gave me a refubrished shock absorber. With AMC, I required service calls at 3 to 4 months intervals. Now, I go to a reputed local service center. (A service center run by a dealership). I selected them only because the service guy is a neighbour.

Now, I require a service call only two times in past ummm .... ummm... 9 months. One of them was because small clothes nowadays get outside the drum - did not happen earlier.
Old 4th March 2012, 09:39   #2743
BANNED

Ordered an LG Washing Machine 1256NDP from Reliance Digital. Total damages 27790 incl. a Rs.1200 trade in for my old LG. The price looked good, esp due to the trade in.

Noticed one glitch, the water inlet pipe has a non-standard tap connection (some odd tap coupling in place of the globally standard 3/4 threaded connection). So I will use the old pipe. Did not buy any guarantee etc. If in 8+ years I only had to change the micro switch once, bearings one, and the motor once (this is now covered for 10 years) then I see no point.
Old 4th March 2012, 10:09   #2744
BHPian

^^ The LG machines have a two piece tap connector. One is screwed into the tap, the other part it connected to that using a latch type connector. I installed mine a few month ago and it was quite simple.
Old 4th March 2012, 20:48   #2745
Senior - BHPian

I want to purchase a good Food Processor, I don't know what they can be used for but my mother asked me to look for a good one, Please suggest.

P.S: Also please suggest a good brand which manufactures good sharp knives. (the ones whose sharpness lasts longer)

Last edited by mercedised : 4th March 2012 at 20:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks