Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2015, 15:00   #5101
BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Any suggestions/reviews on room coolers? What are the good brands?
Compared to an Air Conditioners, they are cheap. But are they effective, especially for the summer in Kerala?
Old 6th April 2015, 15:27   #5102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Compared to an Air Conditioners, they are cheap. But are they effective, especially for the summer in Kerala?

My dad had a rebel attitude and though he had a hitachi new window AC in his room he still went and bought a large Bajaj air cooler. It was almost as large as a window AC, noisy, smelly and do not think it is a graceful room cooling device. We finally just donated it to an orphanage after my dad passed away. There may be more elegant and effective coolers but my experience has not been that great.
From a health perspective I think it may cause trouble to people who are asthmatic or anyone with sinus etc
Old 6th April 2015, 17:02   #5103
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Look at the Bose Soundlink blue tooth speakers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
I second diyguy. Only I would suggest the SoundLink Mini....
Thanks for the advice, Soundlink goes on our options list, a bit pricey though.

How about these two? The Sony seems tempting solely because of the input choices it give me. Will need to demo the output SQ in-person though:

Sony ZS-RS70BT: http://www.flipkart.com/sony-zs-rs70...0-ae220fc56fda

Motorola Deck: http://www.flipkart.com/motorola-dec...6-1c0e871268d2

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 6th April 2015 at 17:04.
Old 6th April 2015, 17:27   #5104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaykk View Post
Room coolers are very effective only in dry climate like north Indian summers.
But in Kerala, I dont think it would be any good because of the humid weather.
Old 6th April 2015, 19:18   #5105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The washing machine keeps giving issues - the main dripping, smoke etc - even after changing motor. The service is pathetic and they have been unable to fix the problem. They are more interested in selling other accessories like water softener. I am going for another brand after giving it one more chance. The AMC is of no use as the service technicians are incompetent and the parts are refurbished.
The motor of IFB washing machine seems to have conked again, we got the same symptom of house main switch dripping while switching the machine. The washing machine is used rarely. The AMC expired 2 months back, the person did not turn up to renew the AMC even after reminding him. Anyway, I have raised a complaint for the service advisor to look at it.

I am thinking about getting another front loading machine. What do you recommend?
Old 7th April 2015, 09:19   #5106
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Thanks for the advice, Soundlink goes on our options list, a bit pricey though.

How about these two? The Sony seems tempting solely because of the input choices it give me. Will need to demo the output SQ in-person though:
Not had much experience with both of these but looks like Sony has multiple input options than the ones we quoted and the Motorola too.

I have a Motorola Bluetooth device which can be used to make any speaker BT compatible. I have experienced this 'Heist Mode' which is nice. It basically lets you connect different devices to the speaker and automatically change the song being played by just choosing another song from a different device connected to it.

No need to unpair the first device at all. Its novelty though wears off in a few days.

But like you say, you would need to demo the SQ before putting money on any of these. Also look out for JBL speakers. They have a good lineup too if it is BT speakers you are after.

Do demo the Bose Soundlink Mini as well. It might just give you the final push to put the money in it.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:38   #5107
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

We need to purchase a split AC for our flat. We are googling up some initial models on FK. please point us to any previous post that contains useful pointers such as good models / pointers on planning / installation etc? here are the dimensions/layout:
The Home Appliance thread-drawing-room-v01.jpg

The drawing room is set up as indicated, while there's no partition with the dining area, where there's just a TV (on the left side wall) and a carpet.

Is it okay to order from FK vs from known big shops in Gurgaon since it must be installed on Monday under any circumstance, for the whitewash in the house to happen. I will not be at the house before Monday either. Thoughts? I'm leaning towards negotiating hard with local vendors rather than ordering online.
Old 7th April 2015, 14:59   #5108
BHPian

Mod Note: please don't post back to back. Use "multiquote" option instead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
We need to purchase a split AC for our flat.
Have a look at this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4389

Quote:
Originally Posted by devil_klm View Post
About wiring HT setup, i will check at nearby shops today. Thanks for the brand names mate

Saw this on aliexpress The Home Appliance thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428747481.430730.jpg
There are tonnes of such options

Last edited by noopster : 15th April 2015 at 18:05.
Old 15th April 2015, 12:17   #5109
BHPian

Folks

Need to buy a couple of storage water heaters for my apartment. Have gone through the previous posts in this thread but could not make up my mind. Looking for 15L ones which also should be able to withstand hard water as the apartment has only bore well suppply.

Request help with these questions

Which brand?
Where to buy?
What to look out for?

Cheers!
Sandy
Old 15th April 2015, 13:34   #5110
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaNdY_AR View Post
Need to buy a couple of storage water heaters for my apartment. Have gone through the previous posts in this thread but could not make up my mind. Looking for 15L ones which also should be able to withstand hard water as the apartment has only bore well suppply.

Which brand?
Where to buy?
What to look out for?

Cheers!
Sandy
I am also in the market for the above with same requirements.

Plus about 10 ceiling fans and electrical fittings for a 3 BHK house.

Suggestions welcome !

Last edited by Eddy : 15th April 2015 at 13:36.
Old 15th April 2015, 14:19   #5111
BANNED

Best Uv Water Purifier

Mod Note: POst merged into existing thread. Please SEARCH before starting a new thread on a topic that has already been discussed before.

Hi guys,
I am planning to buy a new uv based water purifier as the TDS level in my area is acceptable (around 100). I have zeroed on two choices:
Kent Maxx @ 7000
Aquaguard classic @8500

Please advise and help me in deciding. Any other purifiers may be suggested too.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by noopster : 15th April 2015 at 18:21. Reason: Refer mod note linline
Old 15th April 2015, 16:01   #5112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

We need to purchase a split AC for our flat. We are googling up some initial models on FK. please point us to any previous post that contains useful pointers such as good models / pointers on planning / installation etc? here are the dimensions/layout:
Attachment 1357927

The drawing room is set up as indicated, while there's no partition with the dining area, where there's just a TV (on the left side wall) and a carpet.

Is it okay to order from FK vs from known big shops in Gurgaon since it must be installed on Monday under any circumstance, for the whitewash in the house to happen. I will not be at the house before Monday either. Thoughts? I'm leaning towards negotiating hard with local vendors rather than ordering online.
lookout for inverter VRF central AC systems. It has a 4 KW unit (functions below 4 KW at 0.5-1KW most of the times due to inverter compressor and depending upon how many indoor units are working and temp required). You can hook upto 4-6 indoor units at places of your choosing depending upon how you want your airflow.
Old 15th April 2015, 16:02   #5113
Senior - BHPian

Go for Racold, the parent Ariston has been around for decades. They are also very stylish. Our oldest Racold is over 20 years old, got them replaced recently with new ones just to save on power costs, though mechanically they are sound.

Quote:
Folks

Which brand?
Where to buy?
What to look out for?

Cheers!
Sandy
Old 15th April 2015, 16:39   #5114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I am also in the market for the above with same requirements.

Plus about 10 ceiling fans and electrical fittings for a 3 BHK house.

Suggestions welcome !
1. If you have only bore well connection, then I suggest you look on the NET for industrial grade water purifiers. A 1000L/day should be sufficient for a small house hold. The advantages are that all your water will be treated and soft, so your pipe lines, taps and other appliances using the water will have a much longer life.

2. For ceiling fans, be aware that most of the popular brands in the market are just OEM Chinese fans. If you want a long lasting fan, search for ones with double ball bearing and not just sleeve bearing. Bhagirath Palace (opposite Red Fort) is the best place to check for and buy 10+ fans.

3. For storage heaters, please estimate the duration that hot water will be used. In case people are fond of hot showers, at least 20L capacity is needed for a 10 min shower. Choose a model that comes with a SS tank and good insulation. If it is rated 4/5 star so much the better. Again Bhagirath Palace is the place to go.
Old 15th April 2015, 17:01   #5115
BHPian

Quote:
Folks

Need to buy a couple of storage water heaters for my apartment. Have gone through the previous posts in this thread but could not make up my mind. Looking for 15L ones which also should be able to withstand hard water as the apartment has only bore well supply.

Which brand?
Where to buy?
What to look out for?

Cheers!
Sandy
Any suggestions on good place in Bangalore to buy Water heaters, ceiling fans, Electrical accessories will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed