Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2015, 16:01   #5161
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Would a dishwasher make sense for me?

A good quality dishwasher would cost between 30-40k. I would end up paying the same amount to the maid over the next 3-4 years. Not to mention that it'd use some amount of electricity also.

Then there's the possibility that it might conk-off within the 3-5 years I try to break even with it. What exactly am I missing here?

PS: We are a family of two, going to be three by next year.
Hello!

Dishwasher is more hygienic compared to hand wash due to hot water used by it. But along with electricity, it will need consumables like detergent, salt aid and rinse aid, which together will cost around 1000 rupees a month based on your current usage. Most dishes would come out clean but pots used for cooking, esp. frying and the likes may need some manual wash to clean them completely.

If you consider just the financial aspect, then it will be costlier than having a maid but it brings convenience, time flexibility, hygiene, and freedom from maid's absence.

Weigh your options and let us know if you want more details of DWs.

Regards,
Saket
Old 6th May 2015, 10:09   #5162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Dishwasher is more hygienic

Hi Saket, can you let me know how long is your typical wash cycle on your dishwasher? We use the 2hr40mim cycle in our samsung. There are a few more that are in the same range and this seems excessive to me, not sure. There is one 35min cycle too but I don't know the difference and don't have the manual to check.
Old 6th May 2015, 10:31   #5163
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Hi Saket, can you let me know how long is your typical wash cycle on your dishwasher? We use the 2hr40mim cycle in our samsung. There are a few more that are in the same range and this seems excessive to me, not sure. There is one 35min cycle too but I don't know the difference and don't have the manual to check.
Hello!

We normally prefer a 70 minute wash cycle which is 55 mins. of main wash + 15 minutes of pre-wash. That works well to our satisfaction. However, if in a hurry, we at times do use a 30 minute wash cycle (if pre-wash is used, it adds 15 min to all programs). We use the 30 minute cycle if we do not have any frying pans & pots as they take longer to get clean fully.
There are a few more presets which take anything in between 2 to 3.5 hours. We seldom use them though.

Hope this has helped.
Regards,
Saket
Old 6th May 2015, 12:49   #5164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
We normally prefer a 70 minute wash cycle which is 55 mins. of main wash + 15 minutes of pre-wash.
Thank you sir. We have only been using the stock programs on our dishwasher since we bought it in late 2012. Will explore custom program settings! Thanks much.
Old 8th May 2015, 14:06   #5165
Senior - BHPian

Guys I have a query.

We are planning to replace our washing machine and shift it to our kitchen. Is it safe to keep a washing machine in the kitchen considering that there is a gas cylinder ?
Old 8th May 2015, 14:41   #5166
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
Is it safe to keep a washing machine in the kitchen considering that there is a gas cylinder ?
We have a dishwasher in the kitchen with a gas cylinder. I would be wary for the washing machine only from a point of view of yellowing of the body. Somehow some residue seems to form on equipment in the kitchen. We have a chimney now, but earlier from when we didnt, our microwave and one fridge has yellowed. I am suspecting this could be due to the cooking/frying. Not sure. On the other hand, we have a washing machine which has never been in the kitchen and was in our staircase leading to the terrace (fully covered) and now in our dining hall, which has the soap tray gone yellow. So I am not really sure what causes this.
Our dishwasher is grey mettalic and that is showing rust in 2.5 years of being next to the kitchen sink.
Old 8th May 2015, 18:06   #5167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
We have a dishwasher in the kitchen with a gas cylinder. I would be wary for the washing machine only from a point of view of yellowing of the body. Somehow some residue seems to form on equipment in the kitchen. We have a chimney now, but earlier from when we didnt, our microwave and one fridge has yellowed. I am suspecting this could be due to the cooking/frying. Not sure. On the other hand, we have a washing machine which has never been in the kitchen and was in our staircase leading to the terrace (fully covered) and now in our dining hall, which has the soap tray gone yellow. So I am not really sure what causes this.
Our dishwasher is grey mettalic and that is showing rust in 2.5 years of being next to the kitchen sink.
You guessed right about everything yellowing in the kitchen. It is due to our Indian cooking fumes. I would have the same problem but after fixing a chimney the problem was somewhat resolved - less yellowing of everything. Plastics however become yellow because of the breakdown of the polymer stabilisers within them so whether you keep in the kitchen or not, light, heat and pollutants work their way to yellow plastics.

Cannot comment on your dishwasher rust as it may be related to reasons other than being next to the sink.
Old 11th May 2015, 14:24   #5168
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The motor of IFB washing machine seems to have conked again, we got the same symptom of house main switch dripping while switching the machine. The washing machine is used rarely. The AMC expired 2 months back, the person did not turn up to renew the AMC even after reminding him. Anyway, I have raised a complaint for the service advisor to look at it.

I am thinking about getting another front loading machine. What do you recommend?
IFB is the terrible company. It use to cost me Rs.6000 per year to maintain their front loading washing machine, every time their technician use to come he use to break more things and suggest replacing parts costing Rs.3400 to Rs.12000. I tried contacting company through call center, email, facebook but at the end it seem like planned nexus to rip customer off.

I replace IFB machine with LG top loading automatic machine which cost me Rs.14000 and doing good amazing job since last 6 months.
Old 15th May 2015, 13:52   #5169
BHPian

My Siemens front loading washing machine barely 4 years old has developed leak requiring the drum unit to be changed which I did just one year ago. I spent 6.5 k last time. So much for German machine longevity. I have bought a Panasonic top loading WM now.

We use borewell water in Besant nagar. Our water leaves a brown stain everywhere. But it doesn't hurt water heaters.

The dealer recommends a filter in the inlet costing some 2k. This will protect the machine from premature failure due to dirt and hard water. How good are these filters ? They say the filter is from Bosch and it will last for a couple of years before requiring replacement. Should I use descaling agents ?
Old 15th May 2015, 14:46   #5170
Distinguished - BHPian

We have two filters, one between the underground sump and the overhead tank, and another between the tank and the house. Probably overkill: might have just gone with the latter, except we thought of the former first.

They are "cotton" filters, rated at 4 microns, which I believe means that they filter crud, but not chemicals or disease. They certainly clean up the water. We are getting less of that brown stain on taps, etc, although I try to remember to wipe them after showering anyway.

They are not any known brand. Just stuff supplied by the guy who services our kitchen RO machine.
Old 15th May 2015, 15:08   #5171
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
We are planning to replace our washing machine and shift it to our kitchen. Is it safe to keep a washing machine in the kitchen considering that there is a gas cylinder ?
We have had washing machines in the Kitchen since at least 1989. No issues.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:37   #5172
Senior - BHPian

Would an LG front load machine require water pressure to function properly? Reason I ask is, one of the bathrooms in my newly rented flat has very low water pressure so wanted to check with you guys.
Old 15th May 2015, 18:46   #5173
BHPian

Quote:
Would an LG front load machine require water pressure to function properly? Reason I ask is, one of the bathrooms in my newly rented flat has very low water pressure so wanted to check with you guys.
The detergent tray might have some issues (some detergent residue since the force of water is not sufficient to wash out all the detergent). Other than that, it should be fine - would just take longer to fill up water throughout the wash cycle.
Old 15th May 2015, 20:15   #5174
Max
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
My Siemens front loading washing machine barely 4 years old has developed leak requiring the drum unit to be changed which I did just one year ago. I spent 6.5 k last time. So much for German machine longevity. I have bought a Panasonic top loading WM now.
Front loading washing machines have many expensive parts, like suspension, rubber gasket, electronic control panel etc, which are very expensive to repair, If you want to keep costs down, don't buy front loading washing machines. I did not feel any difference in wash quality between front loading and top loading.

Infact use 30-50% less detergent then recommended for good wash. I recommend using fabric softener during rinse, it will bring new life to clothes special cotton one's.

Quote:
It will work fine but will take more time during wash cycles. Its same like bucket, which will take long time to fill with low water pressure.

Last edited by GTO : 17th June 2015 at 09:35. Reason: Language
Max is offline   Received Infraction
Old 15th May 2015, 21:55   #5175
Distinguished - BHPian

Certainly they stop with an error code if the water supply fails. I don't know the logic: if it is If not full within a given period of time then it might not work if the flow rate is too low. But if you have sufficient for other uses, I think it will be fine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks