Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th March 2016, 11:20   #5911
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

I would suggest a front loading WM over a top loading any time. They wash better, consume less water and the ones with heater heat wash flawlessly. We had various makes of front loaders over last 25 years. Latest is LG 6.5kg. Works like a dream.
Old 20th March 2016, 12:19   #5912
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suvo_Petrolhead View Post
I purchased the T8067TEELH 7 kg model in grey color 2 months back from local store. My wife is quite happy with it.
Thanks Suvo. I can always put an external instant water heater above the WM, so hot water is not the issue. Glad you're happy with the WM itself. Your feedback helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Have you looked at Panasonic's top load range? High quality build compared to the other offerings in the market.
I looked at a few models online. Their sales volume is low, so I'm concerned about service and spares. I'd rather go with a mainstream product, and LG certainly qualifies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Top loaders with hot water are difficult to find...
I know TLs with heater are rare, and when found, are problematic. That's why buying one without a heater but with a hot water inlet. A small external instant geyser can be turned on when required AND when there's power. Generally speaking the WM itself consuming > 500W will be a problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I had a terrible time with my top of the line 8kg whirlpool top loader.
Our current machine is a Whirlpool TL, purchased in 2006. I know that since then, their quality has gone quite a bit downhill. That's why they're not in the reckoning now. But appreciate the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
I would suggest a front loading WM over a top loading any time. They wash better, consume less water and the ones with heater heat wash flawlessly. We had various makes of front loaders over last 25 years. Latest is LG 6.5kg. Works like a dream.
Model please, Aroy? FLs are not being considered for various reasons, but would still would like to save your model # for reference. Thanks.
Old 20th March 2016, 12:39   #5913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
Model please, Aroy? FLs are not being considered for various reasons, but would still would like to save your model # for reference. Thanks.
We're using a LG F1068LDP (FL) since last 4 years. Our machine runs everyday, sometimes twice a day.
Very reliable. Recently the door lock switch went defective. After I registered a complaint the service guy visited my house within 3 hours same day. The parts was procured and replaced next day. The total cost was around 800 Rs.
This was our first call for service in 4 years.
Old 20th March 2016, 12:45   #5914
BHPian

Thank you, archat68. F1068LDP can't be found on LG's website or any of the online e-commerce sites; I guess it's discontinued. Still good to know the reliability of the brand and WM type.
Old 20th March 2016, 14:11   #5915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
what can be done to take care of cooling in a kitchen?
My flat is in a set of snug apartments which don't allow much ventilation

I've installed an exhaust fan, still it gets very hot during cooking

any other solutions ?

Somone has to say it. The old saying... If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen

But seriously...

Yes, cooking is going to heat the kitchen up as well as the food. Another source of heat is fridges: to cool the inside they have to give off the heat outside, and there can be quite a lot of it. I don't think there is an answer. except that, for a cooler kitchen, remove the heat.

Extractor fan... Over the cooker, in the form of a chimney. Grab that hot air and expel it before it spreads to the rest of the room. An extractor fan elsewhere in the room will be much less help.

Air conditioning... except that cooling down an area that you are actively heating up is going to be an expensive exercise.

We indirectly cool our kitchen. If a lot of cooking is happening, the chimney will be on, taking the hottest (and smelliest) air from the cooker. As air is being pulled out of the room, it must be pulled in from somewhere: we keep the AC unit on on the next room, so cooler air is being drawn in through the kitchen door. Windows, of course, remain shut.
Old 20th March 2016, 23:08   #5916
Senior - BHPian

Some years ago Panasonic launched it's machines but before doing that they spent an year in setting up a (IIRC Rs2000 crore) R&D & manufacturing facility in Rohtak and guess what, the majority of LG team that set LG up in terms of R&D and service (for washing machines) was hired and sent to Japan for training. The sales volumes may be low but Panasonic is gaining ground and the quality is top notch across the model range. When I bought my LG I was advised by a fellow Bhpian to buy only from amongst the 'made in Korea' models. This gent too, then a part of the LG R&D team is now batting for brand Panasonic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTeacher View Post
I looked at a few models online. Their sales volume is low, so I'm concerned about service and spares. I'd rather go with a mainstream product, and LG certainly qualifies!
Old 28th March 2016, 16:49   #5917
Senior - BHPian

Does it make sense to replace 5 CFLs with LED bulbs instead? The heat buildup is quite noticeable in the room where we have 5 CFLs within our workshop so was thinking whether it makes sense to go the LED way. I'm not sure about the longevity of the LEDs also, any idea about that?
Old 28th March 2016, 20:26   #5918
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
Does it make sense to replace 5 CFLs with LED bulbs instead? The heat buildup is quite noticeable in the room where we have 5 CFLs within our workshop so was thinking whether it makes sense to go the LED way. I'm not sure about the longevity of the LEDs also, any idea about that?
I don't think it makes economic sense to replace any lamp that is still working, unless it is some sort of high-wattage expensive-to-run thing, and even then, I notice a lot of floodlights that have not been replaced by LEDs, even thought the consumption might be less than 10%.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:29   #5919
BANNED

Quote:
I have been using WMs since 1978 or so. The first was what is called a 'lassimaker' top loader - only thing available. Thereafter a series of front loaders, incl IFB, Candy, Zanussi and a couple of LGs. The Candy and Zanussi had clothes dryer built in. Not very handy since that function will take only half the wash load.
Old 29th March 2016, 08:50   #5920
BANNED

Quote:
Does it make sense to replace 5 CFLs with LED bulbs instead?
In financial terms, no.
Old 29th March 2016, 09:39   #5921
BHPian

Quote:
Yes It does. Consider this: The prices of LED bulbs are dropping. A branded 9 W LED bulb costs about Rs.200/- and the light output is equivalent to that of a 100 W tungsten incandescent bulb. You can replace a 20W CFL bulb with this and save over 50 % in current bill.

I had started replacing my 4 feet Tube lights with 18 W LED tubes and the light output is so high I can switch just one instead of 2 normal tubes. If you opt for a good branded LEDs, they should last 40,000 hours before their light output drops.
LEDs run cooler and in tropical climates can save money over a period of time.
Old 29th March 2016, 09:56   #5922
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
Yes It does. Consider this: The prices of LED bulbs are dropping. A branded 9 W LED bulb costs about Rs.200/- and the light output is equivalent to that of a 100 W tungsten incandescent bulb.
Back of napkin calculations:

Consider that the CFL runs 5 hours in a day. That's 55 WattHours saved per day. Around 20 KWhours saved per year. Consider cost of a KWHour to be Rs. 3. That's 60 Rs save per year. Even, considering the cost of replacing a working CFL with LED to be Rs. 200, that's 3.5 years to breakeven. If you add cost of capital it will be even more - say 5 years. So that's 5 years before you see any saving assuming the CFL doesn't go bad for the next 5 years.

If you want to replace, replace it when the CFL goes bad, not before.
Old 29th March 2016, 10:38   #5923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Consider that the CFL runs 5 hours in a day. That's 55 WattHours saved per day. Around 20 KWhours saved per year. Consider cost of a KWHour to be Rs. 3. That's 60 Rs save per year. Even, considering the cost of replacing a working CFL with LED to be Rs. 200, that's 3.5 years to breakeven. If you add cost of capital it will be even more - say 5 years. So that's 5 years before you see any saving assuming the CFL doesn't go bad for the next 5 years.

If you want to replace, replace it when the CFL goes bad, not before.
Unfortunately the power rates at the top of the slab are Rs.8/ in Delhi, and if you have a generator, then Rs.20/ during power outage. SO it makes sense at these rates, which are always rising.
Old 29th March 2016, 12:19   #5924
BHPian

Are there LED bulbz of higher wattage(>28W) like with CFL. I have 45W CFL for my portico.
Old 29th March 2016, 15:04   #5925
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
A branded 9 W LED bulb costs about Rs.200/- and the light output is equivalent to that of a 100 W tungsten incandescent bulb.
Are you absolutely certain that a 9w LED bulb has the light output equivalent to a 100w incandescent bulb?? Does the lumen to watt converter work for these calculations, something like this? - http://www.rapidtables.com/calc/ligh...calculator.htm

I had bought some LED lights (not branded) and they were rated at 12w but were hardly a match to even the 22w CFL which is why I'm skeptic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Quote:
Unfortunately the power rates at the top of the slab are Rs.8/ in Delhi, and if you have a generator, then Rs.20/ during power outage. SO it makes sense at these rates, which are always rising.
I pay 11 rupees per unit as I have a sub-meter (hence the fixed rate) and the CFLs run at least 6-7 hours each day. Maybe now it might make sense for me.

Not to mention, my original concern was of the heat build-up, 5 CFLs heat up the 14' x 8' room and even when one can do with the wall mounted fan, we end up switching on the AC. Obviously during Delhi summers AC would be switched on most of the time but CFLs end up contributing to the heat buildup for sure. I have a 1.5 ton Daikin Split for this room but if there's better longevity of the LED bulbs then I can replace them with LEDs and use the CFLs at home as I only have 11w rated at home and 22w would make things better at home also.

EDIT: Philips 9w LED bulbs aren't anywhere near 200 by the way, more like 400 on amazon. I'm talking about E27 holder ones as that's the holders I have.

Last edited by fine69 : 29th March 2016 at 15:08.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks