Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd June 2020, 15:03   #151
BANNED

Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

How to Choose the OS at every startup?
I have Win10 and Manjaro
Right now the pc boots to win by default. I can change that, so that it boots to manjaro by default.
But how to make the system ask the option at every boot?
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:14   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishalrao View Post
Has anyone here tried "elementary OS" yet? See https://elementary.io/

It's based on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS with a nice clean and simple UI, my current favourite!

Note it has a "pay what you want" thing, so you can enter zero in the "custom" field and get the download link, if you want to try it out.
Elementary is 'pretty' and restrictive. Had a tough time with it before moving on to Linux Lite. Happy now.
Old 23rd July 2020, 20:42   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
How to Choose the OS at every startup?
I have Win10 and Manjaro
Right now the pc boots to win by default. I can change that, so that it boots to manjaro by default.
But how to make the system ask the option at every boot?
May be you have changed the default boot time from 10s to very less. If not, by default grub waits for you to select the OS to boot.
You can either edit this value in grub config file or use grub customizer. Check this https://itsfoss.com/grub-customizer-ubuntu for easier customization of grub.
girishv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 00:46   #154
BHPian

Has anyone managed to install linux on HP Envy x360, Ryzen 5 ?

https://www.amazon.in/HP-13-3-Inch-T.../dp/B081H3XP3K

The sleep on close lid doesn't work at all for almost all flavours of linux. Tried various workarounds but no luck. Apparently there's a new idle power management in newer BIOS, a windows proprietary I believe, which isn't allowing linux kernel to take control over the power options of laptop. If anyone else faced similar issues, your inputs would be highly appreciated.

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2020, 13:10   #155
BANNED

Isn't it possible to disable the new BIOS feature and fall back to the older features?
Old 22nd November 2020, 01:46   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Isn't it possible to disable the new BIOS feature and fall back to the older features?
Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's possible, but I may be wrong and have to check it to be sure. I'll check that possibility and revert.

Cheers!
Old 22nd November 2020, 08:33   #157
BANNED

In the past, there used to be 2 protocols. APM - Advanced Power Management - and a 4 letter abbreviation, possibly APIC. (I forgot.) You could always disable the latter and enable the older APM. As the kernel improved, user level interventions became less, and we did not have to bother. (Hence the forgetfulness). If the FLOSS community let's down its guard because things simply work, yes, this thread will be more frequented. ;-D
Old 23rd November 2020, 16:48   #158
Senior - BHPian

Wonder if anyone here is using FreeBSD as their daily driver? I am using FreeBSD since a couple of months. It is now more easier to use compared to the last time I tried, when ports was the only available choice. With the pkg pre-compiled binaries available, it is almost as easy as installing Debian, according to my experience.

Aside, I also use Devuan Linux, running on openRC init - choice of using alternate init, instead of systemd.
Old 23rd November 2020, 18:22   #159
Team-BHP Support

Using the off the beat distros is fine for personal use. But for production use, it becomes a problem. So in my company we standardized on Debian. Recently a new customer complained that Debian is not standard enough.

That is because AWS doesn't provide a official image for Debian. They need the product running on AWS. They want us to support Red Hat or CentOS, which have official AWS image. Good grief!

Right now we use some non-official Debian build on AWS. Customer is not thrilled.
Old 27th November 2020, 10:10   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Using the off the beat distros is fine for personal use. But for production use, it becomes a problem. So in my company we standardized on Debian. Recently a new customer complained that Debian is not standard enough.

That is because AWS doesn't provide a official image for Debian. They need the product running on AWS. They want us to support Red Hat or CentOS, which have official AWS image. Good grief!

Right now we use some non-official Debian build on AWS. Customer is not thrilled.
I'm a noob when it comes to AWS, so I may be wrong here, but I'm just curious. When you say official image of Debian isn't available, isn't an image of debian based Ubuntu LTS server version available in the AMIs?

Cheers!
Old 27th November 2020, 11:32   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GandalfTheGrey View Post
I'm a noob when it comes to AWS, so I may be wrong here, but I'm just curious. When you say official image of Debian isn't available, isn't an image of debian based Ubuntu LTS server version available in the AMIs?
There are plenty of Debian 10 images, but they are put there by general public. Just like in docker repository, where you can find images from just about anybody.
Samurai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:42   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post

Why not use AWS Linux ? It is based on CentOS for the most part, even uses the same upstream for updates.
Old 27th November 2020, 20:58   #163
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashenoy View Post
Why not use AWS Linux ? It is based on CentOS for the most part, even uses the same upstream for updates.
As I said earlier, the distro for production servers have to be chosen very carefully.

We have dependency on plenty of other open source products, and the massive code base that been tested on Debian for many years. In order to switch, the new distro has to support every dependency, and we need to extensively test the software all over again.
Old 7th July 2021, 18:06   #164
BANNED

Please recommend a usb wifi reciever compatible with Linux - Debian.
With antenna will be fine.

Casual look at amazon and TP Link website -

1. TP link -TL-WN722N - n150 - hi-gain - supports linux, But all the Debian reviews on amazon are old, dating 2017.

2. TP link - TL-WN725N - n 150 - supports linux reviews for debian are from 2019, 2020.

Drivers for both on TPlink website are from 2018. kernel 4.4.3.

What is confusing me is, There are versions of these products, and latest versions work for some linux users, don't work for others. and I want to avoid compiling, hunting at github for drivers.
Old 7th July 2021, 18:25   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Please recommend a usb wifi reciever compatible with Linux - Debian.
With antenna will be fine.
i use N300, detected without any issue, kernel: 5.4.0

no driver needed.

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-TL-WN7.../dp/B002T4D3M2
JustStarted is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks