Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2008, 23:02   #31
Senior - BHPian

I forgot to tell:
there are many grub rescue CD's you can download.even Ubuntu cd/dvd can be used to rescue your grub(boot loader).al vida for now!
Old 21st December 2008, 14:42   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper123 View Post
As expected, I can't log into Ubuntu now (because MBR has been changed right?)

Ubuntu on the disk is intact, I haven't deleted it. So is there any way I can access Ubuntu again without reinstalling?

Your Ubuntu install CD would have some rescue mode.

Boot from the CD, Hit the F1 to F5 keys to see the options available. I guess you need to type in "rescue root=/dev/hda2" when you boot froom the cd and the screen shows the Ubuntu logo with "boot: " at the bottom.

Once you successfully boot into the installed Ubuntu system (when you boot from the CD), open a terminal, and issue the following commands in this same order:-

sudo grub-install /dev/hda

sudo update-grub

(sometimes, you may have to issue the "grub-mkdevicemap" command too.)

After this, check that you have the lines for booting into windows at the bottom of /boot/grub/menu.lst file. (there will be three or four lines without the hash "#" at teh beginning, containing the command "chainload +1" something like that.

Reboot your system, if you want. Or continue merrily working on Ubuntu till you want to reboot.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 21st December 2008 at 14:48.
Old 22nd December 2008, 10:11   #33
BHPian

deepclutch and backseatdriver: thanks a lot. Will keep that in mind.

I went through ubuntu forums and found a simple solution. First, I chose the 'Try ubuntu without any changes to the system' while booting using the ubuntu CD. After logging in, open the terminal and run grub...

sudo grub
find /boot/grub/stage1
root(hdx,y)
setup(hdx)
quit

substitute x and y from the value that find returns. Now, I get the boot options as before!
Old 22nd December 2008, 17:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Now Ubuntu 7.10 wont install on Intel 945, Celeron computer. Now everything went perfect and the isntallation did start, but was struck at 82%. Now what to do.
This was a daul boot attempt, so now even the Windows is gone. Certainly there are a lot of issues that are creating unwated situations.
Old 22nd December 2008, 20:59   #35
BANNED

The installer usually prints what it is doing - apart from showing the percentage progress. For example, if it is copying files, it will specify the files being copies. So, what else is it saying apart from the progress percentage?

I guess you have a network card/interface but no net connection? Is the installation trying to connect to the Ubuntu mirrors? If this is the problem, you can wait till it times out, or tell the installer that it should not use the net.
Old 23rd December 2008, 03:58   #36
Senior - BHPian

I think after few minutes ,the install completes - to goswamy.
Old 23rd December 2008, 08:49   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
The installer usually prints what it is doing - apart from showing the percentage progress. For example, if it is copying files, it will specify the files being copies. So, what else is it saying apart from the progress percentage?

I guess you have a network card/interface but no net connection? Is the installation trying to connect to the Ubuntu mirrors? If this is the problem, you can wait till it times out, or tell the installer that it should not use the net.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepclutch View Post
I think after few minutes ,the install completes - to goswamy.
No mirrors. I was installing from the CD I got from Ubuntu under shipit. And was installing on HDD where more than 20GB of space was available. I had correctly specified mount point. And it was 3 hours at 82% till finally I declared it was not working. The hardware like Optical drive, Optical media, HDD, are perfect. Ram was 512 MB. Dont know what to do now.
Old 23rd December 2008, 19:15   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
No mirrors. I was installing from the CD I got from Ubuntu under shipit.
Is it possible that the CD is still trying to connect to the internet? That is what I want to know.

Quote:
And was installing on HDD where more than 20GB of space was available. I had correctly specified mount point. And it was 3 hours at 82% till finally I declared it was not working. The hardware like Optical drive, Optical media, HDD, are perfect. Ram was 512 MB. Dont know what to do now.
Can you take a snap of this screen and post it here?
Old 23rd December 2008, 22:48   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
1) Is it possible that the CD is still trying to connect to the internet? That is what I want to know.

Can you take a snap of this screen and post it here?
1) I dont think so. With same CD it worked on my friend's P4.

2) Next to impossible, but I will try to visit again.

OK, now the requirement is to pass shell commands, vi editor, etc for exams. The person is running some classes. So for this do you think that live CD will be enough ? If yes, where to store data ? As its live CD environment, I dont know any way how to store data on HDD.
Here data is the notepad in which the commands passed are to be stored for later on checking.

Or may be can I try to install 5.10. I have Ubuntu 5.10. Internet connectivity is the last thing on priority list.

This is important for him as his student's have to appear for exams and he is not able to get installation correct. Can I try Fedora 6 ?
Old 24th December 2008, 09:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
OK, now the requirement is to pass shell commands, vi editor, etc for exams. The person is running some classes. So for this do you think that live CD will be enough ? If yes, where to store data ? As its live CD environment, I dont know any way how to store data on HDD.
Live CD can store data on HDD, most probably HDD is already mounted by live CD and ready to be used. If UI can't write to it, do that from shell as root user.

Open a shell
run "sudo sh"

That will give you a root shell that can write anywhere.

If partitions are not automounted, locaet them and mount manually.

e.g:

locate hda1 , hda2 , hdb1 , hdb2 for IDE drives or sda1, sdb2 for SCSI / SATA drives.

(find / -name 'hd??' -print and find / -name 'sd??' -print) will find them all
Old 24th December 2008, 09:20   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Live CD can store data on HDD, most probably HDD is already mounted by live CD and ready to be used. If UI can't write to it, do that from shell as root user.

Open a shell
run "sudo sh"...
Thank you, thank you very much!
Will be today working and installing.

Thanks to you and backseatdriver!
Old 25th December 2008, 16:08   #42
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. We managed to install the 7.10 finally on that machine after 7 attepmts and it took one whole day. But did it finally.
Old 25th December 2008, 22:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody
Live CD can store data on HDD,
there are livecd's like puppylinux which writes data on to the CD itself.you can carry it as a hand PC .out of 699~MB ,puppy takes 60MB for its space.the remaining space is used to write(burn) data.ofcourse ,once wrote it is read only.
Good Luck!
Old 1st June 2009, 10:31   #44
Senior - BHPian

Ubuntu 9.04

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 Interpid Ibex yesterday and soon realised that 9.04 was already released. So I upgraded to 9.04 over the night and now I'm using it. I earlier used an older version on Ubuntu. The only problem was connecting to the net. Now I've figured that out and I'm all set to chuck Windows out of the Window. I saw a couple of posts about people using the new version but couldn't find a dedicated thread. So I started this one. Let's discuss our experience with this awesome product.
Features | Ubuntu Desktop Edition
Old 1st June 2009, 11:13   #45
Senior - BHPian

I upgraded to Ubuntu 9 Jaunty almost a month back. The best enhancement for me is the support for the WLAN button on my Laptop! It was not working on the 8.10.

Now, I rarely use Windows on my laptop.

Last edited by safari_lover : 1st June 2009 at 11:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks