Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2010, 00:15   #106
BHPian

Re: Team-BHP Linux support thread

Can you post the network section of your rc.conf? On second thoughts, just head over to the Arch forums. It'd be sorted much faster there.

A simple "ifconfig eth0 up" might work though.

EDIT:

Just read the previous posts, and eth0 becoming eth1 is highly possible.
From archwiki (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...guring_Network)

Quote:
Your network cards are sometimes named differently between two reboot. Configuring your network connection is hard if you don't know if you card will be called eth0 or eth1.
A file /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional can be used to tell udev to generate persistent network rules.
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules
Reboot your system. A /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules file has been generated. Now you can disable the generator:
mv /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules /etc/udev/rules.d/75-persistent-net-generator.rules.optional
-OR-
It is possible to specify the module loading order in /etc/rc.conf
# Always load 8139too before e100
MODULES=(8139too e100)
-OR-
It is also possible to manually create udev rules that assign interface names based on the interface's MAC address.
File: /etc/udev/rules.d/10-network.rules
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="aa:bb:cc:dd:ee:ff", NAME="lan0"
SUBSYSTEM=="net", ATTR{address}=="ff:ee:dd:cc:bb:aa", NAME="wlan0"

For more information or the original udev guide on the last two methods, see the Udev wiki entry on this issue.

Last edited by e1t1bet : 9th December 2010 at 00:17.
Old 9th December 2010, 12:36   #107
Team-BHP Support

Thanks Guys. Actually I couldn't wait around much. It is a dual boot partition of my office desktop. I posted here after trying lot of things as mentioned in many websites. Since this Linux partition didn't have much, I simply reinstalled the OS. That solved the problem! Going forward I will be using it more actively.
Old 9th December 2010, 17:38   #108
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone help me with configuring the reliance broadband plus USB stick on my ubuntu 10.10?
Old 9th December 2010, 18:56   #109
BANNED

Ravan, do a "demsg" on the command line before inserting the stick, and after inserting. Post the new lines which after inserting the usb stick here.
Old 6th May 2011, 18:19   #110
BHPian

Graphics card/ Processor for Ubuntu

Friends,

I have an oldie- HP Pavilion 8855- P3, 30GB HDD, 392 MB RAM (upgraded from 256), DVD+CD writer and DVD writer. It came with Windows Me (any of you remember it?)..... I will not go to a long history... but right now I am running ONLY Ubuntu (Linux) on it and it is running perfectly fine except:
1. Lot of noise at start up- probably HDD has gone
2. I feel the need of RAM upgrade
3. Also need a graphics card for games

Now, I plan to get a assembled box for Ubuntu with:
1. 500 GB HDD
2. 3/4 GB RAM
3. Move the DVD writer (& if possible the CD writer) here
4. Processor: AMD/Intel (need your help)
5. 3d graphics card (need your help)

Can I get some tips here on the processor and graphics card I can buy- given that I will run Ubuntu- and mainly use the processor for games (2d / 3d)?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 6th May 2011, 18:23   #111
Team-BHP Support

Both ATI and Nvidia graphics cards are now natively supported on linux. Ditto for all processors.

As for games, I do not think most common titles are available on Linux.

So I suggest you simply find out what graphics card fit in your budget and are easily available, then google for linux support and issues(if any).
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 22:40   #112
BANNED

animdas - what games are available on ubuntu? (Sorry, I am not a very avid gamer).

AFAICT, there is nothing linux specific nowadays; not that problems are non-existent, just that they have become rarer. Just make sure you are getting a board / chipset / video card which has been in the market for 6 months or more.

And as tsk said, google is your friend.
Old 7th May 2011, 15:07   #113
BHPian

Re: Graphics card/ Processor for Ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas View Post
Friends,

I have an oldie- HP Pavilion 8855- P3, 30GB HDD, 392 MB RAM (upgraded from 256), DVD+CD writer and DVD writer. It came with Windows Me(any of you remember it?)..... I will not go to a long history... but right now I am running ONLY Ubuntu (Linux) on it and it is running perfectly fine except:
1. Lot of noise at start up- probably HDD has gone
2. I feel the need of RAM upgrade
3. Also need a graphics card for games

Now, I plan to get a assembled box for Ubuntu with:
1. 500 GB HDD
2. 3/4 GB RAM
3. Move the DVD writer (& if possible the CD writer) here
4. Processor: AMD/Intel (need your help)
5. 3d graphics card (need your help)

Can I get some tips here on the processor and graphics card I can buy- given that I will run Ubuntu- and mainly use the processor for games (2d / 3d)?

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Your new configuration seems quite good.
As for the graphics try to get a medium level, preferably 512 MB card. But most games which are available today, they don't work with Linux.
Very few games work so a 512 MB card will be more than sufficient.

For the processor, well try to get an Intel core i3 (380M) or an i5-480M if budget permits.
I am using an AMD Athlon 64 processor since two years and the performance is good but it has got heating issues so I won't recommend that. But I have heard that the Phenom is quite good.
All the best
EDIT: Well I quite remember Windows Me ! It came with my cousin's old pc and I heard him complaining quite often!

Last edited by StrangeWizard : 7th May 2011 at 15:10.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2011, 15:17   #114
BHPian

New config- processor/graphics for ubuntu

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
animdas - what games are available on ubuntu? (Sorry, I am not a very avid gamer).

AFAICT, there is nothing linux specific nowadays; not that problems are non-existent, just that they have become rarer. Just make sure you are getting a board / chipset / video card which has been in the market for 6 months or more.

And as tsk said, google is your friend.
Thanks BSD...

Problem is, because of performance issue, I use that oldie very rarely (still want to bring it alive- mostly for my son ). If you check the ubuntuforum, you'd get lot of games details- or else, please give me some time. I will tell you what all I have installed.

Unfortunately most of them do not work- screen just goes blank. I guess, its because of insufficient power for games (memory? card? ).
Old 7th May 2011, 22:52   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Unfortunately most of them do not work- screen just goes blank. I guess, its because of insufficient power for games (memory? card? ).
I suspect you use an onboard graphics card.

Use this command:-

Quote:
sudo lspci -v |grep -i -A11 vga
Will tell you a bit about your graphics card, and controller / driver / module in use.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:19   #116
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect you use an onboard graphics card

Use this command:-

Will tell you a bit about your graphics card, and controller / driver / module in use.
You are right, this is one with onboard graphics card.
output of sudo:
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7123
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff
Memory behind bridge: f4100000-f41fffff

=========
The games I have installed are:
ExtremeTuxRacer
FooBilliard
Flightgear
Nibbles
Robos
SuperTux
SuperTuxRacer
Xmoto

Unfortunately, most of these give a blank screen and there is no escape from that. I have to press the power switch on my box!!!

Last edited by animdas : 8th May 2011 at 16:34. Reason: Added sudo output
Old 8th May 2011, 16:31   #117
BANNED

So, the problem is with the xorg driver.

Can you post output of the "lspci -v |grep -A11 -vga" command? Please put the output within quote (paste, select, and click the icon above the text edit widget on this page).

Edit - does "glxgears" command show a set of gear wheels rotating? (that command is part of the mesa-utils package).

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 8th May 2011 at 16:36.
Old 8th May 2011, 16:51   #118
BHPian

Quote:
So, the problem is with the xorg driver.

Can you post output of the "lspci -v |grep -A11 -vga" command? Please put the output within quote (paste, select, and click the icon above the text edit widget on this page).

Edit - does "glxgears" command show a set of gear wheels rotating? (that command is part of the mesa-utils package).
Sorry, the output says "grep: invalid option -- 'g' "
Also, I did not understand what you meant by 'Please put the output within quote (paste, select, and click the icon above the text edit widget on this page).' Which text edit widget?

BTW, glxgears outputs with a strange black screen with 2 sets of moving waves (1 green & 1 red). Now, from you I already know that those are gears!!

Last edited by animdas : 8th May 2011 at 16:57.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:02   #119
BANNED

oh; sorry, the command should be

Quote:
sudo lspci -v |grep -A11 -i vga
here is an explanation:-

sudo gives you root priveleges. Omit sudo if you are root. lspci lists devices on the PCI system. grep is a filter. -A11 means show 11 lines after. -i means grep search for case insensitve occurance of an expression. vga is the expression you are looking for. So, devices on the pci ssytem are listed; and grep searches output of lspci and shows 11 lines after occurence of the term "vga". ( -v makes output of lspci more verbose). If you are not root, we do not get which kernel module is being used for that device.

glxgears tells you if your graphics card is using the right driver; Games require dri and 3D rendering enabled. if glxgears works, you have dri rendering enabled; so we need to look somewhere else why the games are not working.

You enter that command in the terminal, thought that was obvious.
Old 8th May 2011, 17:18   #120
BHPian

Thanks for your patience BSD!

1. I had typed that command "sudo lspci -v |grep -i -A11 vga" and sent you the output. Let me copy-paste it again:

00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82810E DC-133 (CGC) Chipset Graphics Controller (rev 03)
Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 7123
Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 9
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=64M]
Memory at f4000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 1

00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801AA PCI Bridge (rev 02)
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
Bus: primary=00, secondary=01, subordinate=01, sec-latency=64
I/O behind bridge: 00002000-00002fff
Memory behind bridge: f4100000-f41fffff

2. For glxgears, as I wrote in the previous post: BTW, glxgears outputs with a strange black screen with 2 sets of moving waves (1 green & 1 red). Now, from you I already know that those are gears!! I had to close the glxgears window, open a new Terminal window and 'wipe' my screen with this window to remove those green-red thingys!

Any clues!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks