Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2011, 11:23   #4426
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Lohith,

Do not expect much from the Sales guys of any company. They all uniformly suck. In the meantime do check out the Panasonic FZ-100 to compare. I think the Canon SX-30IS is not value for money at the moment.

And if you really think that a big zoom is less important than fast shutter speed and good IQ, then cost not withstanding look at a DSLR. You can also go through the thread on EVIL cameras. Keep your options open till your priorities are crystal clear. It took me about 3 months to decide. And I have no regrets.
Old 21st January 2011, 12:22   #4427
Senior - BHPian

tOn, for now am holding on to either HS10 or a entry DSLR, the big que what is in front of me is the money i spend on it will i use this equipment(Dslr,lenses) to the fullest? on the move sometimes using even the point and shoot can get to you...

so only if i can convince myself that i do the justice then i will else it will be either HS10 or HS20.

yes FZ100 seems to be promising too...
Old 21st January 2011, 12:39   #4428
Senior - BHPian

Spoke to Fuji sales guys in Mumbai, dont think HS20 will be launched before April.

Does it make sense to wait till April?
Old 21st January 2011, 12:55   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Spoke to Fuji sales guys in Mumbai, dont think HS20 will be launched before April.Does it make sense to wait till April?
IMHO, it does not make sense to wait till April. Because that is when the HS20 will be new and you would still have to wait for reviews. Why don't you list down your priorities and then we can take a call from there?

I also wanted to know what you meant by:

Quote:
on the move sometimes using even the point and shoot can get to you
Old 21st January 2011, 13:19   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
tOn, Agree with you, for now the exchange discount is what attracting me.
but thier is a very high possibility of me picking up HS10, as i want a good can at the end of day.

btw 30x optical zoom is equivalent to which lens(slr)?
Not at all! Here's how it is calculated (all 35 mm equivalent):

FL of HS10 = 24-720mm
FL of an 18-55 on Nikon APS-C SLR body (1.5x crop factor) = 27-83mm
FL of an 18-135 on Nikon APS-C SLR body (1.5x crop factor) = 27-203mm
FL of an 18-200 on Nikon APS-C SLR body (1.5x crop factor) = 27-300

Ideally, to achieve similar focal length one would have to go for a wide angle lens and a super telephoto like Sigma 150-500mm and all.

An HS10 is ideal for people who want a versatile camera with exceptional zoom, ultra close up, ultra wide angle and Full HD video capability. If you want to play around with the depth of field, do serious wildlife photography (continuous high speed shooting) or are finicky about the detail levels at big sizes you could be dissappointed with the HS10. Though with manual SLR like zoom and focus ring, RAW capability, External Hot Shoe flash provision, Full HD video, SLR rivalling 1/4000th to 30 seconds shutter speeds, Motion Panorama, 10 FPS (though only 7 photos) and so many other features, it offers a compelling alternative to a basic SLR or atleast tops the Ultra zoom category.

They would launch the HS20 in April only as they still have a good amount of stocks of the HS10.
Old 21st January 2011, 14:43   #4431
Senior - BHPian

tOn, being into creative field am looking for some great out put but that said i may not get into some serious wildlife photography, i would carry this cam wherever i go and try to get some pictures. i am picky about the quality but am not sure if i am ready to invest too much interms or time/money...

So for me the question is if i pick a basic dslr would it suffice? i as "vipin" mentioned i think the versatile factor may work for me but would it give me that creative freedom and the quality pictures?

What i meant "on the move" have noticed while driving or riding( when touring) if the procedure of getting the cam out is time consuming then in the hurry you may not take pictures so here HS10 may score over the dslr...

Vipin, thats huge load of info, thanks
Old 21st January 2011, 20:50   #4432
Senior - BHPian

@Lohith, it is tough call dude. The HS10 can take good snaps but has a steep learning curve. Also, it is equal in size to most mid range DSLRs so the size advantage does not exist per se. However what you do not need to do with the HS10 or any other superzoom for that matter is change lenses and be worried about dust, which is a constant if you are traveling in India.

The Panasonic FZ100 I heard takes better quality pictures but I do not have a personal experience with it. There are other pocket (well nearly) zoom cameras which have a zoom range of 10-15x. Example the Panasonic TZ-10/8, Fujifilm F500EXR etc. These would be far more portable and will give you decent quality as well. I am not sure about the prices, but these should be sub INR 20,000.
Old 21st January 2011, 21:09   #4433
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What i meant "on the move" have noticed while driving or riding( when touring) if the procedure of getting the cam out is time consuming then in the hurry you may not take pictures so here HS10 may score over the dslr...
you can totally rule out one handed operation with HS10 , it's heavy and made with two handed operation in mind (e.g. zoom).

you are better off keeping a pocket cam (may be a panasonic) or a good cellphone cam for that spontaneous shots.
Old 22nd January 2011, 12:11   #4434
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjoshi View Post
FL of HS10 = 24-720mm

Ideally, to achieve similar focal length one would have to go for a wide angle lens and a super telephoto like Sigma 150-500mm and all.
As good as the HS10 is (I have ot used one) I doubt it could compare with a DSLR in IQ.

A DSLR has a much larger sensor. DSLR lenses are also much shaprper and have less pincushion or barrel distortion (even super zooms like the 15x Tamron 18-270 or the 50-500 Bigma will have less distortion than the 30x HS10 lens).

The HS10 is perfect for those who want a one box solution and need the 30x zoom. My advice to friends who want a P&S is to first set a budget and max tele FL they need.

Yes onw would need atleast a 2 lens solution on a DSLR to cover teh FL of a HS 10 or any 20x+ camera. For example the Canon 15-85 + 100-400 (or if you are willing to sacrifice a stop or so the 18-135 mated to the Sigma 150-500) would be comparable. Nikonians could use the Nikon 18-105 or 16-85 mated to the Sigma 100-400 or 150-500.

the other advanteage is being able to carry only the lens you need. My niece for example often travels only with her 16-35/2.8 and 70-200/2.8 (for her 5DII). People like RUdra have the picture framed and composed in their head long before they have even raised the viewfinder to their eye.

Last edited by navin : 22nd January 2011 at 12:35.
Old 22nd January 2011, 14:23   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
The little SD4000 aka HS300 was used by my wife at Little Rann of Kutch. She is pretty happy with these results. The little wonder takes pretty unbelievable pictures at iso 400 and 800 which was much better than I expected. At f2 I was able to take many photos without flash indoors. Overall I must say its a very good buy at 9k that I spent on it. But IMHO it is overpriced in India where the mrp is listed at around 25k.
Hi Sparkled, very nice pics and nice colour....

BTW Can you check where this model made? Original Japan or Assembled in China?

I had a window shopping last day for good P&S model camera. What I see most of the models below 10,000 range are coming from China with a made in China sticker on it. Shope guys are just peel-off the sticker from the camera then.

I'm still looking for a below 10K range Japan made PS model...

Sadiq.
Old 22nd January 2011, 15:38   #4436
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer: The below rant is just a guess, please correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipinjoshi View Post
Not at all! Here's how it is calculated (all 35 mm equivalent):

FL of HS10 = 24-720mm
FL of an 18-55 on Nikon APS-C SLR body (1.5x crop factor) = 27-83mm
What is the crop factor of HS10??? I understand its 24/4.2 = 5.7 (approx.)
So the quality of the image produced by a 720mm on the HS20 can achieved by 720/5.7 = 126mm on a full frame camera and by digital crop of around 5.7 factor (or) a digital crop of around 3.8 on a pic taken by a DSLR with a crop factor of 1.5 !!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 22nd January 2011 at 15:40.
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:16   #4437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi Sparkled, very nice pics and nice colour....

BTW Can you check where this model made? Original Japan or Assembled in China?

I had a window shopping last day for good P&S model camera. What I see most of the models below 10,000 range are coming from China with a made in China sticker on it. Shope guys are just peel-off the sticker from the camera then.

I'm still looking for a below 10K range Japan made PS model...

Sadiq.
Mine is a made in Japan, bought from amazon.com USA model. I got a great deal on it when it was available for $209 for a single day when I grabbed it. I got lucky I guess. my original choice was a S90 but then I don't mind the picture quality of this little wonder considering the money i spent on it. The build quality is really great and the F2 lens is real good especially in low light. Even the iso performance is really good than comparative p&s cameras due to the back lit CMOS sensor. Try sourcing it from outside if possible as its just not vfm to buy it from India.

Last edited by SPARKled : 23rd January 2011 at 10:17.
Old 24th January 2011, 14:51   #4438
BHPian

I am planning to purchase a compact camera for my sister. Budget is 10K max. Any recommendations? Camera will mostly be used for family get togethers and occasional outings.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:06   #4439
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The iconic Panasonic LX3 is now on sale for as low as 19K (Linky). Guys, I got mine for about 28K a year back and believe me, twenty thousand pictures later, the LX3 has become a must-have tool on all special / automotive events. This is seriously dirt-cheap for an LX3; if you're looking for a camera in the budget, shut your eyes and pick one up.

Obviously a clearance sale of old stock since its successor - the LX5 - has already hit the market.
Old 25th January 2011, 16:12   #4440
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeer View Post
I am planning to purchase a compact camera for my sister. Budget is 10K max. Any recommendations? Camera will mostly be used for family get togethers and occasional outings.
I have purchased a Canon Powershot A3100 IS recently.

I am totally satisfied with the results. Great VFM camera.

Rohan

Most Viewed