Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2010, 19:38   #4276
Distinguished - BHPian

Can someone advise if Nikon P100 has manual focus?. If so how to use it?. I feel that at 26x Zoom, the Camera doesn't focus correctly.
Old 12th November 2010, 19:59   #4277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
A generic comment on the HS10 would be that any attempted pixel peeping will leave you disappointed because of the very aggressive noise reduction that it uses. This means that if you have cropped the image at 100%, it is going to look bad. Will get back on this one.
I agree, for me the most important aspects are high speed movies and long reach. I can live with a little noise.

Here is what I shot in florida, there are more on my youtube channel.

Old 12th November 2010, 20:28   #4278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@para,

I generally do not shoot at ISO settings more than 400. Most of my shots are at 100 ISO - which means my output is severely limited. In any case, give me some time and I will experiment. In the meantime, could you give out some more information - aperture, shutter speed, ambient conditions and whether you used flash or no.
I agree on using ISO. I use ISO 100 only for outdoor but for indoor, I certainly need ISO 800.

I shot at F2.8 and Shutter speed between 1/8 to 1/10.

On my previous query, I found something myself. There were three settings - Color, Tone and Sharpness

The color was set to High, Tone to Hard and Sharpness to Hard.

I changed Color to MID, and Sharpness to Standard.

There is an improvement. Saturation is less but I can live with this quality.

Steep Learning Curve for the HS10, Probably yes

The pictures of the Menu, my previous pic and latest pic.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-menu.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-pulsar_oil.jpg  

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-pulsar_oil_new.jpg  

Old 13th November 2010, 12:28   #4279
Senior - BHPian

For those looking for ultrazoom camera from Panasonic - Model number FZ-35 is available for $235, FZ-100K for $350 and FZ-40K for $277. All the above are free shipping and no tax in most states of USA.

For those looking for ultrazoom from Canon - SX-210S with 14x is $238 and SX130IS with 12x is $172.14.

The deal is for today only and is on this website. Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more!.

They also have compact, wide angle camera from Canon and Panasonic on sale.

This are all good deal imo. Go Splurge!!!

PS: I haven't compared prices with Indian camera market, so please ignore this post if its lower in India.
Old 13th November 2010, 13:24   #4280
Senior - BHPian

Guys need to decide between the Powershot or the IXUS series of Canon.
Don`t have much knowledge about photography but i do appreciate good pics.
Budget - 12-15k.
Confused between these models - http://www.canon.co.in/compare/produ...3=1368&lang=EN

Last edited by faithless_1984 : 13th November 2010 at 13:35.
Old 13th November 2010, 15:41   #4281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Hey Guys, I was on look out for a decent snug-fit carry case for my Pana-FZ35 fro quite some time, the one which came with the camera was quite bulky.

Noticed this model from case logic yesterday at GK Vale Bangalore:

Case Logic TBC-304:

Case Logic Compact Camcorder / High Zoom Camera Case > Camcorder Cases > Case Logic

Although they advertise this case for Camcorder, but it is very much suitable for high zooms like Panasonic FZ-35. The ones advertised for high zooms are quite bulky again. There is enough space in TBC-304 for the data cable, the camera and a spare battery & memory cards. The battery charger though will need to be carried separately. Also no belt loop present but can be stitched easily.

Just attach a wrist loop (I prefer it that way) to the camera instead of the shoulder belt and the end result is a very compact carry pack for a high zoom, which can be easily carried along even on the belt. very convenient indeed. MRP-Rs.695, got it for 600 after some decent haggling.
I am using Lowepro Rezo TLZ 10 and it is good as well. Can take the cable and the spare cards/battery, but nothing else. Has a great belt loop as well. Came for around 700 bucks..

Lowepro - Rezo TLZ 10

Where in India did you get the wrist strap from? I have been looking for one since long...
Old 13th November 2010, 17:23   #4282
Senior - BHPian

@vivek - awesome video man! Really cool.

@para,

Hey I did a test. I am attaching a snap which crops from three snaps (from top to bottom):
  1. SRAUTO No flash - 800 ISO chosen automatically
  2. Manual mode, No flash - 100 ISO (image wrongly says Flash used)
  3. SRAUTO, Flash - 400 ISO chosen automatically

Did not get a chance to try the setting changes you discovered, which have given great results btw.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 13th November 2010 at 17:24. Reason: General edit.
Old 13th November 2010, 18:19   #4283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faithless_1984 View Post
Guys need to decide between the Powershot or the IXUS series of Canon.
Don`t have much knowledge about photography but i do appreciate good pics.
Budget - 12-15k.
Confused between these models - Product Comparison of Digital IXUS 130 , Digital IXUS 120 IS and PowerShot A3100 IS - Digital Cameras - Canon India

Do you want something that can fit into your pocket? If yes, then any of the three will do. If not, then why don't you consider this: Nikon Coolpix L110
Old 14th November 2010, 11:13   #4284
Senior - BHPian

Guys, any ideas on how to reduce the file size of the HD videos without greatly reducing quality? 450MB for a 3 minute video is too much.
Old 14th November 2010, 11:35   #4285
Distinguished - BHPian

My wife's "present" from our trip to Singapore last week: Panasonic Lumix TZ-10.

She has a passion for birds, and its 12-times zoom should enable her to zoom in on them without too much trouble. Remarkable, considering that my far-from-pocket-size Canon S2 IS with its 12* would be nothing in the world of super-zooms now.

The Lumix is not quite a pocket camera (a big pocket would be ok) but it is certainly a handbag camera, so hopefully we'll carry it around when the bigger Canon gets left on the shelf.

Good quality feel, with an LCD that is big enough for me to use without reading glasses (this has been one of my reasons, in the past, for excluding any camera without a viewfinder). So far, it is looking good.

On the crazy gadget side: it has a built-in GPS! We haven't tried that yet, and, frankly, I'm not over the moon about it. My phone's GPS can exhaust its battery in only a couple of hours. On the other hand, maybe I'll be looking at pics in a few years and wishing we'd turned on the GPS!

Purchased at: Mustafa, Singapore
Cost: S$499 including case and 8Gb card
Converted to: UKŁ248.96 on my UK bank card, that's about Rs.17,680
Less: Refund of tax still to come, S$35. That's about Rs1,177

Cost at Chennai Cameraciti (as per website) Rs.19,800
Saving: about Rs3,000.

I wanted a Fujifilm HS10, but figured the pocket point-and-shoot would be of much greater value to the whole family <--- smug smiley!
Old 14th November 2010, 18:15   #4286
BHPian

if anything happens to my USA bought panasonic camera, will it be repaired for free in india coz warranty on the US site says applicable to US and Peurto Rico only
Old 14th November 2010, 19:08   #4287
Distinguished - BHPian

@Shwetanshu, what does your wty card say ? Is it a world-wide wty or a US-only wty ? If world-wide, then you should be able to get wty support. Else you will have to get is serviced in US.
Old 14th November 2010, 21:13   #4288
BHPian

it will say USA or Peurto Rico coz i looked about it on the net, downloaded the warranty info from panasonic site only... i m yet to buy it... what if i want to get it serviced here, like Western Digital transfers the warranty to india if disk gets faulty here and canon also transfered it here for my uncle..
Old 14th November 2010, 21:19   #4289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My wife's "present" from our trip to Singapore last week: Panasonic Lumix TZ-10.
Excellent Choice

I assume you did not get any international warranty ? Did you ?

Also, the in built GPS cannot be used for anything else apart from Geotagging your photos.
Old 15th November 2010, 18:42   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My wife's "present" from our trip to Singapore last week: Panasonic Lumix TZ-10
On the crazy gadget side: it has a built-in GPS! ... On the other hand, maybe I'll be looking at pics in a few years and wishing we'd turned on the GPS!
I wanted a Fujifilm HS10, but figured the pocket point-and-shoot would be of much greater value to the whole family <--- smug smiley!
Dear Thad,
Nice choice of equipment. If you are a bit disciplined, you could tag the image manually on Picasa using Google Earth or on Flickr (if you swing that way). On the HS-10 versus TZ-10, or for that matter bulky superzoom versus pocket monster, it boils down to how far that bird really is. <--- even more smug smiley.

Most Viewed