Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 19:58   #4246
Distinguished - BHPian

I did a lot of research online (including this thread) and have more or less finalised the Sony H55 as my next buy. We drove down to Croma yesterday to pick it up and surprise! its out of stock :(. Considering the amount Sony is spending on advertising, the least they can do is ensure availability at retail outlets. We tried a couple other places, same story.

While we are Croma, the missus started fiddling around with the Canon SX130IS and liked the features and the pictures it clicked (the power of demo units!) I am OK with that choice too, but think it's far too bulky a piece for standard point n shoot duties.

Opinions?
Old 6th November 2010, 16:53   #4247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I did a lot of research online (including this thread) and have more or less finalised the Sony H55 as my next buy. .... Opinions?
What is similar between the two:
1. 14 MP
2. Both shoot only JPEG
3. Most of the tech specs are relatively similar

Why I would buy the Canon:
1. It's a Canon.
2. 35x seems very tempting no?
3. EVF present, so there is another mode to compose your photogaphs
4. Big camera feel

Why I would buy the Sony:
1. It is compact and will fit into the pocket easily
2. It is cheaper and will suit the pocket as well.
3. Sony has possibly one of the better panorama stitching capability built into its cameras

If your budget is not restricted, I would say that you could go with the Canon. The downside is that this is a relatively new camera and there have been some negative comments about IQ especially at high ISO and low light.
Old 6th November 2010, 18:19   #4248
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Guys, I am looking for a P&S in the range of 6-7k. Found this Fujifilm AX250. It retails for around 6k. I feel it's brilliant VFM as it even has HD movie recording. A 28mm Fujinon lens with 5X optical zoom. It has digital image stabilization too.
What are the experts' opinions? (check catalogue attached)
Guys, any thoughts/suggestions on the above query?
Old 6th November 2010, 20:08   #4249
BHPian

Quote:

While we are Croma, the missus started fiddling around with the Canon SX130IS and liked the features and the pictures it clicked (the power of demo units!) I am OK with that choice too, but think it's far too bulky a piece for standard point n shoot duties.

Opinions?
To add to your confusion, do check out Nikon L110 also. It comes with similar specs and price (14k)

The major diff between the three are the lens and the optical zoom.

Optical zoom:
Sony H55: 10x
Nikon L110: 15x
Canon SX130 IS: 12x
Lens:
Sony H55: 25mm
Nikon L110: 26mm
Canon SX130 IS: 28mm
Recently my colleague shortlisted Sony H55 and Nikon L110 models and finally purchased Nikon L110 because some store owner told him that they are unlikely to get the Sony H55 stock in near future. The pics clicked with the cam were very good.
Old 6th November 2010, 20:29   #4250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Why I would buy the Canon:
1. It's a Canon.
2. 35x seems very tempting no?
3. EVF present, so there is another mode to compose your photogaphs
4. Big camera feel

Why I would buy the Sony:
1. It is compact and will fit into the pocket easily
2. It is cheaper and will suit the pocket as well.
3. Sony has possibly one of the better panorama stitching capability built into its cameras
Hey typeO, I think you're referring to the SX30, which has 35X zoom. This is the poor 12X zoom cousin! But I agree with the rest of your post. The Canon has some 28 manual settings compared to the Sony, which is pretty much a PnS with 10X zoom (and the snazzy sweep panorama feature that I love! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post
To add to your confusion, do check out Nikon L110 also. It comes with similar specs and price (14k)
Thanks Pallavi. I did check out the L110- it was in my shortlist but I found it bulky and a little uninspiring, to be honest. Also, like the Canon, it works on AA batteries rather than Li ion, which is a negative in my book (some people prefer this).
Old 6th November 2010, 22:09   #4251
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pallavi View Post

The major diff between the three are the lens and the optical zoom.

Optical zoom:
Sony H55: 10x
Nikon L110: 15x
Canon SX130 IS: 12x
Lens:
Sony H55: 25mm
Nikon L110: 26mm
Canon SX130 IS: 28mm
Why don't you try the Panasonic TZ8. On Amazon, the TZ units are one of the best selling compact zoom models available. Problem is, in India it is a bit difficult to find, but the TZ units have been reliable and have sold in large numbers. It has a 12X zoom and 25-300mm zoom range. But more than the telephoto, trust me, the Wide Angle will be more useful @ 25mm. Also, it has manual controls, but a slightly smaller screen than the Canon and Sony. It costs a bit more, at around 15.5k.

I wish Sony had launched the HX5V in India (which looks similar to H55, but better). That is rated as one of the best cams currently available, but Sony sees no sense in bringing it here, instead having celebrities endorsing it cams
Old 7th November 2010, 13:20   #4252
Senior - BHPian

Hello folks,
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question.
I am looking to buy an entry level SLR and for that I have shortlisted these 2 cameras:
1. Nikon D3100
2. Canon 500D
3. Canon 550D (eliminated as its too expensive and it does not offer anything significant over the 500D).

Can you please help me chose between these 2? Would love to hear from you.

Thanks
Old 7th November 2010, 14:42   #4253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Hello folks,
I am not sure if this is the right forum for this question.
I am looking to buy an entry level SLR and for that I have shortlisted these 2 cameras:
1. Nikon D3100
2. Canon 500D
3. Canon 550D (eliminated as its too expensive and it does not offer anything significant over the 500D).

Can you please help me chose between these 2? Would love to hear from you.

Thanks

There are two threads running on DSLR, post your query there.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...lr-thread.html

Last edited by sachinj12 : 7th November 2010 at 14:43.
Old 7th November 2010, 15:19   #4254
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey guys I picked up the H55 this afternoon at 14,990/- (including camera case, 4GB card and a tabletop tripod). Final choice boiled down to this plus the Canon SX130IS and Olympus 600SZ. I liked the Olympus but dealbreakers were the fact that you have to turn the camera on to view/delete photos (which is silly) and the lens is not self-retracting, meaning you have to keep it protected at all times. Canon was a close 2nd place, the only reason we ditched it was the missing panorama feature and the fact that it is quite bulky for a P&S. The Sony won hands-down in that department (it's so tiny!) and the sweep panorama feature also worked in its favour. Will take a trip somewhere outdoors this afternoon and test it out. Thanks for helping everyone!
Old 8th November 2010, 09:42   #4255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Guys, any thoughts/suggestions on the above query?
Late but I hope it helps.

Seems like a good choice for the Budget and it also has the Panorama mode and runs on AA batteries.

Digital IS is not equal to optical IS. It only boosts the ISO. But at this price, you cannot ask for more.

Last edited by para_7k : 8th November 2010 at 09:43.
Old 9th November 2010, 11:58   #4256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey typeO, I think you're referring to the SX30, which has 35X zoom. This is the poor 12X zoom cousin!
Sorry my bad. In any case I can see that you have made a very good choice. Congratulations.
Old 9th November 2010, 21:40   #4257
BHPian

Please help me in deciding between Panasonic FZ100 or Canon SX30is. I m leaning more towards panasonic mainly due to higher fps. Please advice. Price is almost the same for both.
Old 10th November 2010, 11:05   #4258
Team-BHP Support

I for one would buy the panasonic due to two big reasons
1. RAW mode
2. Full manual control for video recording (you can set aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc.,)

Also, you can read this piece, excellent article
A Superzoom Shootout
Old 10th November 2010, 13:46   #4259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwetanshu View Post
Please help me in deciding between Panasonic FZ100 or Canon SX30is. I m leaning more towards panasonic mainly due to higher fps. Please advice. Price is almost the same for both.
Any idea how much these camera's cost?
Old 10th November 2010, 14:12   #4260
Senior - BHPian

I agree with tsk1979.
I recently purchased Panasonic FZ35, and i am loving it every bit. I guess FZ100 being an improved model, should be even better.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks