Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2009, 09:49   #3496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
My budget is around 25 K initially can add 5K if required but nothing more than that... Will add rest of the things depending on the demand and my skills. As far as the subject goes I would like to capture mostly people,animals and things which I see on my daily basis. I would not do any sports or scenic photography much .. That is why I added Macro features in my wishlist .. Hope I am clear with my requirements.

Thanks,
Sam_Boy
Hi Sam_Boy,
For the budget you have specified, i suggest you look for a used DSLR with an entry level zoom lens like the Sigma 70-300mm(can be used for basic street, wildlife and macro photography).
Regards,
Angad Achappa
some of my pics @ Flickr: piranha boy's Photostream
Old 12th October 2009, 11:51   #3497
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksons View Post
Hi, I bought Nikon P-80 few months before for making Catalogue of my products but picture are not as crisp as I wanted to.
Kindly, suggest me some better camera.
Super zoom cameras do not have the best lenses as they are mostly built for reach than absolute picture quality. Still I would suggest that you brush up with some basic photo processing skills and I believe you will get much better results from your P80. Changing a camera will not do any wonders to your photos unless you have an absolute lemon of a P80.
Old 15th October 2009, 08:57   #3498
Senior - BHPian

Canon D10 all weather camera bought

After some thought, having bought a new Gypsy, I bought a Canon D10 to go along with it. Can take it underwater to 30 feet, and shock proof to a 3 foot drop - which means that I can use it in all weather basically, and not scurry for cover, if it rains, or use it even jetskiing, for instance. Canon recommends that after such use, the camera is left immersed in a bucket of clean water for an hour to get the salts out - cool!
While there have been such compact cameras before, few yield quality images - the Canon was stated to do so.
Attached picture is one that is good enough quality for the application, IMO. Now I can take the camera wherever the car can go! And then get out and take pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-005.jpg  

Old 15th October 2009, 09:12   #3499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
After some thought, having bought a new Gypsy, I bought a Canon D10 to go along with it.
go anywhere car with a go anywhere camera. perfect combo..awesome. now we'd want to see you use it to the max.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:13   #3500
Team-BHP Support

That's a cool looking shot. I have a weather proof dSLR, but the problem is water drops on the lens, it can spoil the shot.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:18   #3501
Senior - BHPian

The water drop can happen here too, on the covering glass of the weather proof body - but reviews suggest that wiping a wet finger across it can take care of the consquence on the picture to a large extent.
Old 15th October 2009, 09:32   #3502
Team-BHP Support

Can't use that technique on the large area of dSLR lens since it would pickup every little smudge.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:18   #3503
Senior - BHPian

A question that I now am faced with in a 12 mp camera is this - the camera has an option for image size - using 12 mp being called large, then 8, 5 and so on down. 8 and 5 are called M1 and M2. When I see the pictures taken at different sizes, I can see that the actual size pictures get smaller and smaller in size, as do the file sizes. But when I see them on the computer or TV screen, I cannot really make out any difference in resolution or image quality. Would some guru on the digital part of the subject please clarify just what it means, to shoot at different image sizes?
Old 15th October 2009, 14:27   #3504
BHPian

Quote:
A question that I now am faced with in a 12 mp camera is this - the camera has an option for image size - using 12 mp being called large, then 8, 5 and so on down. 8 and 5 are called M1 and M2. When I see the pictures taken at different sizes, I can see that the actual size pictures get smaller and smaller in size, as do the file sizes. But when I see them on the computer or TV screen, I cannot really make out any difference in resolution or image quality. Would some guru on the digital part of the subject please clarify just what it means, to shoot at different image sizes?
If I remember correct pc monitor displays @ 72 dpi. But maybe I am wrong.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:44   #3505
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As others have posted, beyond even 3MP, we cannot really distinguish. The higher MPs are useful more for professional photographers, shooting in 'raw' mode which helps in better editing, enlargements, etc.

I get great photos from my old 4MP Coolpix as I do from a 5MP Canon or even a friend's 8MP. I can practically see no difference.

The larger 12 mp image is simply reduced to fit on your computer screen, but even the 5MP image is more than your screen, so you see practically little difference. In fact even 5MP is simply too much file size for the Internet / e-mail, etc.

Generally sensor size is really important, not MP. A larger sensor results in much less 'noise' or graininess in cases of lower light conditions and will give better image quality.
Old 15th October 2009, 14:51   #3506
Senior - BHPian

@Sandeep, I had guessed that what you are saying would be it, but was not very clear in my mind, so thanks for the clarification. A follow up question that shows that I am still not totally clear - if I wanted to print an image in a large size - say 15 by 20 - am I better served in using the larger image setting?
Or, to put it another way, if I wanted to crop and print selectively even in a 8by 10 size, would the image size that I photographed in, matter?
Old 16th October 2009, 10:39   #3507
BHPian

I have been planning to get a filter kit for my Sony DIGICAM, which will take 58mm screw-on filters. I have the option of getting the following filter kits

Targus - UV + CPL without case/pouch for 1300 (ebay)
Vivitar - UV + CPL with pouch for 1500 (20north)
Vivitar - UV + CPL + FLD with pouch for 1830 (20north)

Price wise there is not much difference between all these, I know these are all pretty low end filters - the question is which one out of these should I go for???

My choice is Vivitar CPL+UV kit.... any suggestions???
Old 16th October 2009, 13:15   #3508
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

after hearing some negative comments about the Canon SX 20, I am square one now. Could you please help me select from one of the below? I will buying from States in couple of weeks.

1. Canon SX 20
2. Panasonic FZ38
3. Olympus SP-590uz
Old 16th October 2009, 13:30   #3509
Senior - BHPian

I am using Olympus SP-560uz, and its an ultimate camera, provides you lots of flexibility, very good lens, Manual and Auto modes, Good Zoom, good controls, and some other very good features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

after hearing some negative comments about the Canon SX 20, I am square one now. Could you please help me select from one of the below? I will buying from States in couple of weeks.

1. Canon SX 20
2. Panasonic FZ38
3. Olympus SP-590uz
Old 17th October 2009, 16:23   #3510
BHPian

Purchased Canon EOS 1000D ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_boy View Post
Guys,

I have been thinking for sometime to buy a good camera... I am new to photography but would like to follow this interest. I am looking for a camera where I can experiment with the ISO, Aperture, Shutter speed and the white balancing features. Would love to have some Macro capabilities also .

I have short listed the below cameras:

1. Nikon D60
2. Nikon coolpix P90 and
3. Canon Sx10.

What do you guys suggest given the fact, I am very new to all this and till now I have only used a basic Kodak V550 cam.

Eagerly waiting for all your suggestions.

Thanks,
Sam_Boy
2 hours back I purchased a Canon EOS 1000D ....

You can see it is not a shortlisted item, but I wanted to have a DSLR ( so rejected P90 and SX10) and Nikon has stopped D60 and other models were out of my reach. That time I saw this camera and got good reviews from one of my photography savvy friend and couple of other sites ....So finally emptied my pocket and bought this.

Let a new journey start and I aim to learn the tricks of photography. Let's see how far I go ....

Thanks,
Sam_Boy

Most Viewed