Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 17:48   #4486
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
For macro its best to use manual focus. The MF assist is brilliant on the FZ
Tried shooting this Rose bud with manual focus. Please feel free to comment/suggest improvements:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1020446.jpg

Settings Used:

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-untitled.jpg
Old 14th February 2011, 18:52   #4487
Senior - BHPian

@Zenster:

1. There is noticeable overexposure and possible lack of focus.
2. You have not mentioned what ISO you are shooting at.
3. For this much light, I think you could have reduced the aperture a bit f/3.0 or f/3.5
4. You could have chosen a different angle - the focus is totally on the pink appendage jutting out instead of the green bulb

Otherwise great attempt.
Old 14th February 2011, 20:06   #4488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
@Zenster:

1. There is noticeable overexposure and possible lack of focus.
2. You have not mentioned what ISO you are shooting at.
3. For this much light, I think you could have reduced the aperture a bit f/3.0 or f/3.5
4. You could have chosen a different angle - the focus is totally on the pink appendage jutting out instead of the green bulb

Otherwise great attempt.
Here are a lil more detail: ISO was set to 100, and focus on pink appendages was intentional

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-untitled.jpg

Thanks for pointers, will keep 'em in mind. You guys have been of great help. Will be back soon to bother your guys

OT: What settings does one need to capture birds/planes in flight. Since there is a brighter backdrop (sky), I guess settings will vary from shooting a moving car (for e.g.).

Last edited by Zenster : 14th February 2011 at 20:24.
Old 14th February 2011, 21:16   #4489
Senior - BHPian

@zenster,

My personal opinion is that both the pink and green should have been in equal focus. Which is why I recommended a different angle. Till such time I master focus bracketing I would make do which such a compromise. For ISO 100, you would need to reduce aperture.

As far as planes in the sky go, the trick is speed. Which means that for best results trust the camera. That is what works for me.
Old 14th February 2011, 22:41   #4490
Distinguished - BHPian

I'd say that the question for Zenster is: is it what you wanted? If so, then it's great!
Old 15th February 2011, 12:48   #4491
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Guys,

Please suggest me which one is the best among the below Canon models:

SX210 IS
SX130 IS
SD1300 IS
SD4000 IS

I'm looking for a good P&S camera with Video option and shortlisted the above. Appreciate the feedback from those who has already used the above models...

Sadiq.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Dunno about the others, but SX210IS is a real good one, both for still and video. Battery lasts for a looong time. 14x zoom is good if used on a tripod. The interface is a bit kludgy, especially if one wants to use Manual mode, but the good thing is a quick preview of what the shot will look like at the set aperture / shutter setting. Focusing is quick in normal light, but low light conditions cause it to hunt. Overall, a VFM camera at its price point.
Thanks for the suggestion. Here in Saudi the price for SX210 IS is aprox. RS 15,500. Is it fair? Amazon has quoted $249 and around 50 for Int'l shipment charge. If I buy from Amazon, do I get an Int'l warrenty and what about the product quality?

Sadiq.

Sadiq
Old 15th February 2011, 22:21   #4492
BHPian

Quote:
@zenster,

As far as planes in the sky go, the trick is speed. Which means that for best results trust the camera. That is what works for me.
Well, sometimes speed and even luck matters ;-) Here is one which could have come out real good, only if I was a lil' better prepared. In fact, patience is also extremely imp!

In fact, I'm planning to take my FZ to Rangathittu possibly this weekend. Anyone interested in joining in? Will be a nice drive and super fun shooting the birds
Attached Thumbnails
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-p1010258.jpg  

Old 16th February 2011, 07:46   #4493
Senior - BHPian

@royalcruiser,
Well luck matters everywhere. I have a Flickr contact whose strategy is to machine gun the subject with a burst of snaps in the hope of getting one perfect result. He succeeds most of the time, so I guess that is a good method too.

Nice picture there. Why dont you paste it in the non-auto images thread as well?
Old 16th February 2011, 11:15   #4494
BHPian

Quote:
@royalcruiser,
Well luck matters everywhere. I have a Flickr contact whose strategy is to machine gun the subject with a burst of snaps in the hope of getting one perfect result. He succeeds most of the time, so I guess that is a good method too.

Nice picture there. Why dont you paste it in the non-auto images thread as well?
Totally agree on the burst mode! I also used it for shooting these busy lil' insects. Not sure, but I feel some detail is lost in the burst mode - will reserve my judgement on this after some more use.

Hmm, hadn't thought seriously about that (actually had not even visited that thread Will post this one and some other recent ones over there.
Old 16th February 2011, 11:29   #4495
BHPian

Guys, there's a sale going on at Sony here, and they're offering the TX5 for approx INR 6,500. This is going to be my first digital camera, and i'm not into photography. I click random stuff, cars, and a few pics when with friends.
Is the TX5 any good at this price? Or should i look at something else?
Old 16th February 2011, 13:32   #4496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Tried shooting this Rose bud with manual focus. Please feel free to comment/suggest improvements:

Attachment 502116

Settings Used:

Attachment 502117
Excellent pic. To check the overexposure enable the Highlights in your camera so that the white spots will blink in the preview mode. Also try using the bracketing option where it takes 3 pictures of low, normal, over exposure. Generally autobracketing is used for HDR.
Old 22nd February 2011, 22:47   #4497
Senior - BHPian

I am planning to buy Fujifilm Finepix HS20, any idea whether its available around ? any other all in one alternative available ? or would it be advisable to go in for budget DSLR.

Last edited by agspins : 22nd February 2011 at 22:49.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:41   #4498
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I am planning to buy Fujifilm Finepix HS20..any other all in one alternative available ?
The common alternate is the Canon SX30. With a DSLR you will get better IQ but at the cost of zoom range. Also a DSLR only makes sense if you are going to consider a combination of 3 lenses or more. For example a Canon 1000 with the 18-55+55-250/200+28/1.8 or Nikon 3100 with 18-55+55-200+35/1.8.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:51   #4499
Team-BHP Support

Actually FZ-100 would be a better bet in my opinion. It has full manual controls for video too, not just for Stills.
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:01   #4500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I am planning to buy Fujifilm Finepix HS20, any idea whether its available around ? any other all in one alternative available ? or would it be advisable to go in for budget DSLR.
Why the HS20? The comparable cameras are the FZ100, the SX30IS and a host of others. The reason I am asking this question is that you have to be sure what you are looking for before plonking money on a camera.

The HS20 has been announced. Expect it in April or May. Expect proper reviews to start coming in only a couple of months after that.

A budget DSLR would definitely give better image quality but you will end up spending more on the lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Actually FZ-100 would be a better bet in my opinion. It has full manual controls for video too, not just for Stills.
That's hardly a reason why you would buy a camera.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 23rd February 2011 at 12:03.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks