Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2011, 12:19   #4501
Team-BHP Support

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
That's hardly a reason why you would buy a camera.
But its one of the reasons, Here read the detailed comparison of SX30 vs FZ100
A Superzoom Shootout

FZ-100 supports RAW, and trust me, the detail you can recover from a RAW file, esp on a P&S is simply awesome as compared to what you can recover from JPG
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:33   #4502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
But its one of the reasons, Here read the detailed comparison of SX30 vs FZ100
A Superzoom Shootout

FZ-100 supports RAW, and trust me, the detail you can recover from a RAW file, esp on a P&S is simply awesome as compared to what you can recover from JPG
I know tsk. The HS10 shoots in RAW, at 10fps (7 fps practically) has 1000fps HD video and manual zoom and manual everything. But compared to the Panny, the HS10 has a very steep learning curve which might put off the user. I am not expecting things to be different with the HS20.

Which is why I asked the OP what he wanted to shoot. IMHO, the FZ100 scores over the Canon SX30 IS in the areas you have mentioned but in addition I have heard (not experienced) that the image quality is better. That to me would be the game clincher.

In any case, the OP seems to be going through the same confusion that I went through. Wait till someone suggests the EVIL lineup as well.
Old 24th February 2011, 00:01   #4503
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm.. so what i understand from all you experts is if i plan to go in for High zoom digicam then best bet would be a FZ100 and if i go for a budget DSLR (say Canon 1000d/Rebel XS) will end up spending more on lenses. My use is pretty light, Mix of everything ( close ups, panoramas, wildlife's etc). Checked out reviews of NEX-3/5 but found it wasn't too impressed by it. So what i will do is wait for something cool and evil with interchangeable lens and good zoom etc etc.
Old 24th February 2011, 09:18   #4504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
Hmmm.. so what i understand from all you experts is if i plan to go in for High zoom digicam then best bet would be a FZ100 and if i go for a budget DSLR (say Canon 1000d/Rebel XS) will end up spending more on lenses. My use is pretty light, Mix of everything ( close ups, panoramas, wildlife's etc). Checked out reviews of NEX-3/5 but found it wasn't too impressed by it. So what i will do is wait for something cool and evil with interchangeable lens and good zoom etc etc.
That would be a long wait and you may still end up paying quite a bit imho. Get the FZ100 instead. That would get you started off pretty fast and keep you occupied for two years or so. And then you can have your EVIL date. Or jump onto the DSLR bandwagon if it is not derailed already.
Old 24th February 2011, 20:00   #4505
BHPian

Gurus - Please recommend me a good point to shoot camera.. below are my requirements.. With more than dozen digital camera available, i am totally confused.. Please, Please help..

1. > 10 MP
2. Image Stabilizer
3. HD recording with HDMI port
4. Decent Zoom
5. Good shutter speed
Old 24th February 2011, 23:58   #4506
Senior - BHPian

@typeOnegative Thanks for suggestion mate, will then get my hands on a FZ100.It should cost me somewhere around 25K i suppose.Just pray they dont come up with something like FZ150 0r 200 .
Old 25th February 2011, 22:53   #4507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agspins View Post
I was in the same dilemma! Almost ended up buying the D3100, but knowing my interest levels and usage I ended up buying the FZ100. And I''m not one bit disappointed - you must learn to accept and work within the camera limits though Been able to generate some fairly good images and the HD video is top notch!
Old 26th February 2011, 00:35   #4508
BHPian

Hey guys have a bidget of 40-50k for SLR camera

have short listed Cannon 550D
anything better out there?
Old 26th February 2011, 13:15   #4509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Gurus - Please recommend me a good point to shoot camera.. below are my requirements.. With more than dozen digital camera available, i am totally confused.. Please, Please help..

1. > 10 MP
2. Image Stabilizer
3. HD recording with HDMI port
4. Decent Zoom
5. Good shutter speed
What price range are you looking at? also do you want a compact digital camera or the likes of Fuji HS10?

I am using HS10 for almost 10 months now. Very happy with it and it produces some very good quality images. If you budget permits, its a good camera to go for. I think now it retails at around 22k.
Old 26th February 2011, 22:47   #4510
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
What price range are you looking at? also do you want a compact digital camera or the likes of Fuji HS10?

I am using HS10 for almost 10 months now. Very happy with it and it produces some very good quality images. If you budget permits, its a good camera to go for. I think now it retails at around 22k.
Thanks for replying to my post.. Appreciate it..

Actually, i am looking for a compact one for general use, mostly for my wifey.. something ~10k Rs. Any recommendation?
Old 27th February 2011, 12:07   #4511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbala View Post
Thanks for replying to my post.. Appreciate it..

Actually, i am looking for a compact one for general use, mostly for my wifey.. something ~10k Rs. Any recommendation?
Hi Bala,

I'm in the same route of where you are right now!

I short listed Canon SX 130 IS and SX 210 IS. Will check both models this week end.

Sali
Old 28th February 2011, 01:50   #4512
Senior - BHPian

I have been looking to buy a Canon Power Shot G12 in Bombay but without luck. Can someone advise regarding availability of this camera. Do not mind travelling to anywhere in Bombay to pick it up.
Old 28th February 2011, 15:04   #4513
Senior - BHPian

^^.
You can try JJmehta online. I used to buy most photographic supplies from them and they seem to have good stocks. I think their store is located at Dadar.
Old 1st March 2011, 12:28   #4514
BHPian

Hi,

Yesterday night I was out to buy a Canon SX210 IS. But the shop guy adivised me that instead of SX210 go for either SX200 IS or Panasonic TZ7! Now I'm getting more confused and back home to do a further study before a final decission

Price wise, SX210 IS has only 1000 rupees extra while the other two has in the same price tag.

Any feed back from your side really appreciated.

Sali
Old 2nd March 2011, 11:48   #4515
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salikt View Post
Hi,

Yesterday night I was out to buy a Canon SX210 IS. But the shop guy adivised me that instead of SX210 go for either SX200 IS or Panasonic TZ7! Now I'm getting more confused and back home to do a further study before a final decission

Price wise, SX210 IS has only 1000 rupees extra while the other two has in the same price tag.

Any feed back from your side really appreciated.

Sali
Sali - Can you share the price of these models??

Most Viewed