Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2012, 01:15   #4861
BHPian

Re: The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.

@Ajay : the moon's come out pretty nice !

@Thad E Ginathom : why can't it be handheld ? I shot the moon handheld each time, the shutter speed needs to be quick to the right exposure - the tripod is needed when you want the stars and clouds to be visible (but the moon will be overexposed , cue HDR ).
Old 11th February 2012, 03:27   #4862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys, I got myself a new SONY DSC-HX100V camera on Wednesday. The total deal was Camera + 4 GB memory card+ HDMI cable + Sony carry case = 22,500/-. I bought the camera from Sony distributor in Pune. I had checked the prices on Flipkart, Ebay and most sites and the prices were exactly same. The only difference was that Sony gave me carry case free, which none of the sites was offering.
As read on other thread, letsbuy would soon be bought by flipkart, this would make it little expensive, I don't think they would ever offer that Rs.1200 off coupon again.

I needed a budget digital camera as a gift, and bought Fujifilm AV200
again flipkart and letsbuy were not cheap, and wanted this gift to be sent online, I ended up buying from yehbhi.com, costed Rs.3599/- without any coupon code.
Lets see how efficient is yehbhi for delivery.

What made me decide this camera
14 MP, with HD video capability, (1280 x 720 pixels at 30 fps)
Uses AA Battery
Includes Most wanted features like, face detection, multi settings for faster quick shots, panorama, digital image stabilizer, light weight

So at this price I think its best budger camera one can buy.

Attached a pic from web
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-fujifilmav200pointshoot.jpeg
Old 11th February 2012, 12:37   #4863
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Thad E Ginathom : why can't it be handheld ? I shot the moon handheld each time, the shutter speed needs to be quick to the right exposure - the tripod is needed when you want the stars and clouds to be visible (but the moon will be overexposed , cue HDR ).
I don't think such a sharp moon pic could have been dreamt of in the days before image stabilisation, without a tripod. I think it is amazing that they can now be taken.

Of course, without IS, the zoom ranges that van be had in compacts, let alone "super-zooms" would have required tripods too.
Old 11th February 2012, 14:09   #4864
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I don't think such a sharp moon pic could have been dreamt of in the days before image stabilisation, without a tripod. I think it is amazing that they can now be taken.

Of course, without IS, the zoom ranges that van be had in compacts, let alone "super-zooms" would have required tripods too.
On my Fujifilm S2000, I used 1/400-1/800 shutter speeds. With the D90, I used f/8 to f/11 , base ISO (200) and still correct exposure for only the moon, can be achieved with fast shutter speed. For example, some of the best moon shots at 300mm I took are f/10 , ISO200, 1/320. I think I shot some as fast as 1/1600 but were underexposed. At f/5.6 and 1/1000, got a good result.

VR and tripod at 1/250 or faster aren't really needed.
Ricci is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2012, 17:18   #4865
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Absolutely love that moon. I finf the thumbnails in T-BHP adequate for almost all the pictures, but I had to click that one to full size!

Hand held? Surely it couldn't be!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricci View Post
@Ajay : the moon's come out pretty nice !

Thank you guys.

@Thad E Ginathom: Yes, it was taken handheld. But, next time I am shooting the moon, I will use my tripod. Also, I need to reduce the EV to the least value to get rid of the haze around the moon. But, I am too happy with my first attempt. This camera rocks for the quality of output.

BTW, did you guys click on the other picture and see it in full size? That one has come out fantastic IMO. I am going to take that pic to the cafe owner and will ask him to put it on the walls.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 15:32   #4866
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you guys.

BTW, did you guys click on the other picture and see it in full size? That one has come out fantastic IMO. I am going to take that pic to the cafe owner and will ask him to put it on the walls.
Yes, I saw the attached image, it includes good details and camera was at exactly the needed distance, No other things to distract and brings out the actual Subject to focus.

However your attached image looks a resized version and also excludes the EXIF data.
Old 23rd February 2012, 00:04   #4867
Senior - BHPian

Guys, some advice required here. I'm looking at buying a budget P&S camera and i have come down to the following three... all around the 6.5 - 7K range.

1) Nikon Coolpix S3100

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-coolpix.jpg

2) Panasonic Lumix DMC-S3

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-panasonic-lumix.jpg

3) Olympus VG-140

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-vg140.jpg

I'm more inclined towards the Nikon as of now as all reviews I've read have said good things about this camera. It comes to about Rs.6742 on flipkart / letsbuy, although sulekha.com is offering the same camera at 57xx. Has anybody shopped on sulekha before ? How good are they ?

Besides these are there any other cameras I should look at. Max budget is 7k. Not more than that.
Old 23rd February 2012, 01:50   #4868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
I'm more inclined towards the Nikon as of now as all reviews I've read have said good things about this camera.
Hi fiat_tarun

I was strictly told not to dangle the Nikon D3000 around my neck for the west coast trip, so I went on a mission to buy the cheapest P&S in the market.

My requirements were very clear, I wanted something which would run off a battery pack (Li-on) with the least price.

Since time was short on hand, my research was limited to a few minutes at the nearest Best Buy. The Nikon S3100 robbed my eyes and instantly bought it for the size and price ($79). After spending 10 days with this P&S and shooting some 300+ photos and quite a few HD videos later I’m neither pleased nor completely dissatisfied.

Positives
- Pretty good picture quality during daylight
- Fast focus
- Battery Life
- Some real good pre-loaded scene modes like panorama
- Auto face detect

Average
- HD video quality (No Optical Zoom during HD mode)
- Optical Zoom performance (purely in daylight only and VR is a joke!)

Negatives
- Absolutely no manual control (I know it’s too much to ask but still). You could either use an ALL AUTO function or use the pre-loaded scene options.
- Nikon at least spared the Exposure compensation, which came in handy during bright sunny days.
- Under performs in Low Light mode.
- Picks up noise in even slightly low-light situations
- Some of the settings cannot be overridden in certain scene modes. For example, the fireworks mode is the only option where you could capture a 4 second exposure. In this mode you cannot choose the self-timer option.
- Slow HD Video start up time
- Battery indicator – Although the progress bar showed 25% of charge remaining, the battery gave up after 10 shots. (I could not capture the beauty of Lake Mead, may be next time)

Here is my honest opinion. Add a little more to your budget and get something (a Canon HS may be) which gives some more control. i'm sure you would appreciate the additional features after spending some time with the camera.

I'm not dismissing this one yet. But having spent some decent time behind a DSLR, the options missing in an absolute entry level P&S seems too glaring for me.

Here are some samples,

Disney on an overcast day (yielded some very good results)

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn0428.jpg

Fountains of Bellagio (I took this picture using a tripod. If attempted handheld, this picture would have just been a blob of black and white).

The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn0791.jpg

Stratosphere, Las Vegas (on a slightly cloudy day)
The Digital Camera Thread: Questions, discussions, etc.-dscn0805.jpg

Let me know if you are interested in some more samples.
KameshR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2012, 13:57   #4869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KameshR View Post
Hi fiat_tarun

I was strictly told not to dangle the Nikon D3000 around my neck for the west coast trip, so I went on a mission to buy the cheapest P&S in the market.
Thanks KameshR for the info on the Nikon. I too have been reading reviews extensively on all camera's in this price range and have come across lot of mixed reviews on the S3100. The fountain pic by the way is awesome. It has come out very well .

I today came across the Samsung Dual LCD PL 120 being offered at Rs.5990/- on indiaplaza.com . This Samsung seems like a good all rounder at this price. Anybody know how trustworthy indiaplaza is ?

The thing is I have an old Fujifilm S5000 and I'm no big photography buff. I'm happy with the pics that the S5000 gives me. I find it too bulky to keep carrying around for even small parties, etc and hence the need for P&S.
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:26   #4870
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I got myself a new SONY DSC-HX100V camera on Wednesday.
Hi Ajay, apparently this cam features GPS and compass. So, have you tried geo tagging any image? How does this work? Also, how good is the GPS? Pls share some details on these.
Old 2nd March 2012, 14:46   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
Hi Ajay, apparently this cam features GPS and compass. So, have you tried geo tagging any image? How does this work? Also, how good is the GPS? Pls share some details on these.
Well, its not apparent, its true that this cam has GPS. I don't have to GeoTag a photo explicitly. As long as the GPS feature is ON, the camera itself will tag the photo. If you observe the EXIF properties, you will see the Latitude and Longitude co-ordinated appended to each photograph that you click. However, if you are inside a room, the GPS might not work.

Are you planning to get one?
Old 2nd March 2012, 15:52   #4872
BHPian

Folks, one of my cousin is on a lookout for a good camera within a budget of 350$. No budget extensions possible at this time.

His requirements are
1. Good quality pictures both indoor and outdoor.
2. Good video quality.
3. Nature photography limited only during travel. Travel is limited.

Thanks
Deepak
Old 2nd March 2012, 16:06   #4873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchiniwal View Post
Folks, one of my cousin is on a lookout for a good camera within a budget of 350$. No budget extensions possible at this time.

His requirements are
1. Good quality pictures both indoor and outdoor.
2. Good video quality.
3. Nature photography limited only during travel. Travel is limited.

Thanks
Deepak
Try Canon SX30 IS, SX40 HS, Panasonic FZ50 etc series..
Old 2nd March 2012, 17:35   #4874
BHPian

Quote:
As long as the GPS feature is ON, the camera itself will tag the photo. If you observe the EXIF properties, you will see the Latitude and Longitude co-ordinated appended to each photograph that you click. However, if you are inside a room, the GPS might not work.

Are you planning to get one?
Thanks for the info, Ajay. And yes, to augment my sudden interest in macro and panoramic landscape photography, I plan to get one of those. Do not want to go to a DSLR as yet. So, I am a bit confused for choice among the following:

1) Sony Cybershot HX 100V: Great features, but reviews say softer images at telephoto range.
2) Nikon Coolpix P500: Again softer telephoto images as per reviews.
3) Panasonic FZ150:
4) Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR

My requirements are very good macro capability and good clarity at telephoto range. So, basically I want good resolutions at both the extreme ends. Also, a good helpful panorama option is a must. Considering my requirements which do you suggest? Also, it'd be nice if other experts also provide their views. Thanks.

Last edited by wanderer4x4 : 2nd March 2012 at 17:38.
Old 2nd March 2012, 18:33   #4875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer4x4 View Post
1) Sony Cybershot HX 100V: Great features, but reviews say softer images at telephoto range.
Agreed to some extent. The images are very sharp and clean if there is bright sunlight and also if you mount the camera on a tripod.

2) Nikon Coolpix P500: Again softer telephoto images as per reviews.
If there is no hurry to buy a camera, then wait for the Nikon P501 to be launched in India. 42x Optical zoom, better sensor, and much improved over P500. Its already available in US, but not yet in India.

3) Panasonic FZ150: Mixed reviews.

4) Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR:
The images are better than Sony at telephoto, but there are complaints of the camera getting heated and firmware issues.

Also, a good helpful panorama option is a must.
Sony's panorama is terrific and there is a option to shoot a 3D panorama too.

Considering my requirements which do you suggest? Also, it'd be nice if other experts also provide their views. Thanks.
Besides these points, Sony's USP is the quality of the video. No other camera in this category can match Sony for the video quality and audio quality. Plus you get an option to shoot 3D movies too.

All said and done, I am not advocating for Sony here, just because I bought one. I had spoken to one camera geek in Pune before buying my Sony and he was hell bent on Fujifilm HS20 EXR. His point was that Fujifilm produces the best quality images at any range and they are cheaper than any other company.

All the best for your purchase! Keep us posted.

Most Viewed