Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2010, 12:54   #2251
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
In USA, the iphone consumers continue to be locked to AT&T even after the contract with AT&T is over! And this has been the bane of contention between consumers and Apple/AT&T. Meanwhile, they continue to the milk the cow.

Prajwal
I am pretty sure they don't have control after the contract is over. I say this because my iphone 2g is out of contract and is legally unlocked by ATT.

I went ATT store and told the representative i am going to India and need it unlocked and the lady happily obliged. This was a year and half back though.

While the 3gs is bought from outside, i won't know until i upgrade to iphone4 in sept and then call them in dec to get it unlocked for a trip to india. That would be interesting.

But yes, i agree, ATT/Apple are milking the people here and that too by providing fat free milk

As for my friend's iphone 4, its already in India, so i doubt it is under any warranty as such. Don't know what he/his bro do when something goes wrong with iphone4.

Last edited by chevelle : 10th August 2010 at 12:56.
Old 10th August 2010, 12:57   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
You can order an officially factory unlocked Iphone from Singapore and Australia also. Iphones sold by Apple in USA are all locked. The ebay sellers import factory unlocked iphones from other countries and sell them in USA, thus charging a slight premium and in many cases no warranty either. Apple Australia will sell unlocked iphone from the online Apple store itself. The problem is they won't ship to India. So perhaps a friend/relative can get it for u from there.

Prajwal
How would a user use the iphone4 in India. I thought they use a "micro-SIM" card. Is it easy to replicate our normal sized SIM card to a micro sized one?

It apparently is: there are tons of videos on youtube to convert the mini sim to micro sim.

Last edited by wanderlust : 10th August 2010 at 12:58.
Old 10th August 2010, 14:58   #2253
Team-BHP Support

Yeah conversion is not a difficult job, am waiting for my gsm sim adapter for micro sim to arrive first, so that i can post a DIY chop job
Old 10th August 2010, 16:56   #2254
Senior - BHPian

I'm going to be cutting mine up as well once I head back home. I have a microsim for reference though. How hard can it be?
Old 10th August 2010, 19:08   #2255
Team-BHP Support

Use this template to cut the microsim

and how to do it
Old 10th August 2010, 21:08   #2256
BHPian

Need help on a locked(?) iPhone

I received an iPhone 3G model (8GB Black color) as a gift last week. I checked that the phone was originally bought in India (not from US/Europe) recently and is a sealed pack with the month of import being March 2010.

I opened the pack and tried to setup itunes with my Airtel postpaid SIM card, but the phone refused to download itunes with a message saying that it was not a valid SIM.

I then tried with my brother's Vodafone SIM card and the phone accepted it by downloading the latest version of itunes. I was able to make and receive calls. Then I tried with my mom's Vodafone SIM card and that worked as well.

So I believe the carrier is Vodaphone, but I'm not sure...how was it sold initially without a connection/plan from the service provider? I am under the impression that if iPhone is sold without a connection, then it should have been unlocked. I've not heard Airtel or Vodafone selling iPhones without connections or unlocked phones before. Am I missing something here?

What are my options to use Airtel on this phone? Jailbreak and Unlock? Or is it better to just buy a Vodafone SIM and start using it?
Old 10th August 2010, 23:57   #2257
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I have an iPhone 3GS which I recently updated to iOS4.0.1. The new OS is slightly slow at times and the kinetic scrolling isnt the smoothest, therefore I want to go back to 3.1.3. I have my SHSH blobs saved via Tiny Umbrella.

Can someone please direct me to a link which gives a detailed step by step description of how to do it? I am trying to find the same but some website say its possible and some say its not. Has anyone of you done it to know that it is actually possible.

Thanks!
Old 11th August 2010, 00:15   #2258
BHPian

The version on my iPhone 3G is 3.1.3 (7E18) baseband 05.12.01. Carrier is Vodafone India 5.0.

What are my options to use Airtel on this phone? Jailbreak and Unlock? Or is it better to just buy a Vodafone SIM and start using it?
Old 11th August 2010, 01:08   #2259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weathered View Post
The version on my iPhone 3G is 3.1.3 (7E18) baseband 05.12.01. Carrier is Vodafone India 5.0.

better to just buy a Vodafone SIM and start using it

You said it (unless you really want to jailbreak as well). Too much of a headache to maintain the jailbreak/unlock with iOS upgrades.
Old 12th August 2010, 02:54   #2260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
better to just buy a Vodafone SIM and start using it

You said it (unless you really want to jailbreak as well). Too much of a headache to maintain the jailbreak/unlock with iOS upgrades.
Well said!

After a long wait, 4.0.1 jailbreak/unlock was launched.

Guess what? Apple just updated the firmware to 4.0.2 today.

Cat & Mouse game always!
Old 15th August 2010, 23:16   #2261
BHPian

Guys, i lost my officially unlocked iphone 3G bought from airtel today. Please suggest me how to go about finding it. I tried calling to the no but its switched off. It was stolen from my waist pouch.
Old 16th August 2010, 07:11   #2262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikant View Post
Guys, i lost my officially unlocked iphone 3G bought from airtel today. Please suggest me how to go about finding it. I tried calling to the no but its switched off. It was stolen from my waist pouch.
1. Did you have MobileMe? If so, track using FindMyiPhone. You'll be emailed whenever it turns on. Hopefully Push Notifications were ON. (When I lost my 3GS, Push Notifications were OFF. )

2. If you have the contacts, try with the police. But they would need the phone to be ON with the known phone number/sim, to be able to track it.

!1 && !2 ? It's gone : It's gone;
Old 17th August 2010, 02:04   #2263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurpartap Singh View Post
1. Did you have MobileMe? If so, track using FindMyiPhone. You'll be emailed whenever it turns on. Hopefully Push Notifications were ON. (When I lost my 3GS, Push Notifications were OFF. )

2. If you have the contacts, try with the police. But they would need the phone to be ON with the known phone number/sim, to be able to track it.

!1 && !2 ? It's gone : It's gone;
I dont have the mobile ME activated. I am going to police station today. Lets try luck . . thats all . .
Old 17th August 2010, 11:27   #2264
BHPian

Quote:
I dont have the mobile ME activated. I am going to police station today. Lets try luck . . thats all . .
Have you called the operator to block the IMEI?
Old 18th August 2010, 01:27   #2265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i lost my officially unlocked iphone 3G bought from airtel today.
Sorry to hear about your loss, but has Airtel started selling unlocked 3GS phones?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks