Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2011, 10:18   #3091
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The iPhone Thread !!! Update: iOS 4.3.3 out !

Dear Epic,

The BB and iphone war is a very old one and not worth debating over about. I have both an iphone and bb and i still enjoy the iphone. It's a personal choice. No point debating.

About emails: i have to access 14 accounts. Personal, and company accounts. BB can't handle so many.

About the battery issue. It's not bad nor is it great. Mine lasts as much as my bb and i use my iphone more. You bought yourself a second hand phone. If the previous owner has not used it properly, the battery can go kaput. Maybe that's the whole reason why the iphone was sold in the first place.

Last edited by Tejas@perioimpl : 23rd May 2011 at 10:20. Reason: added info
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:19   #3092
BHPian

Adding to the above..which version of iOS is running on the iPhone?
And regards to get better battery life, you should turn off 3G from Settings, if at all it is activated.
And goto Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable > Turn Off Ping. Rest of the settings under Restrictions can be configured according to your need.

A quick Update.

Went to Apple store on Saturday and enquired about iPhone 4. The sales person said, that the launch would be happening Tomorrow and as a scoop, he told it will be a unlocked version.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:21   #3093
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic
The iPhone is definitely not worth the hype and is truly a fashion accessory more than a useful gadget.
Made me laugh!!! It's not just hype, the iPhone is the best gadget with a phone built in! Agree that it's not the best phone for calls or texts, but as an overall gadget that does email, calls, apps and navigation, there is nothing that beats the user interface.

And my personal opinion is that blackberry is nowhere near the iPhone
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:21   #3094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Adding to the above..which version of iOS is running on the iPhone?
And regards to get better battery life, you should turn off 3G from Settings, if at all it is activated.
And goto Settings > General > Restrictions > Enable > Turn Off Ping. Rest of the settings under Restrictions can be configured according to your need.

A quick Update.

Went to Apple store on Saturday and enquired about iPhone 4. The sales person said, that the launch would be happening Tomorrow and as a scoop, he told it will be a unlocked version.
Wow. Thanks for the scoop. Any indication on the price?
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:26   #3095
BHPian

No pal. The sales person had his mouth shut when asked the same. As well as, the HDFC bank tie-up was also lost. Otherwise, I would have purchased a iMac.

Now the Credit card tie-ups are from ICICI and Citibank with 3, 6, 9 and 3 Months EMI.
Old 24th May 2011, 02:33   #3096
BHPian

Looks like INR 34,990 for locked ones and 37,490 for unlocked ones 16GB :-)
Old 24th May 2011, 10:38   #3097
BHPian

As per the sales person, today night, India should see the official iPhone4 launch. Now I have to hunt in selling my 3GS. Damn!!!

@gopz
Any source?? In my views, the price should be reduce a little bit than 3GS. Remember, the new MBP is costing less than the previous version now. Same strategy!!!
Old 24th May 2011, 10:52   #3098
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms
As per the sales person, today night, India should see the official iPhone4 launch. Now I have to hunt in selling my 3GS. Damn!!!

@gopz
Any source?? In my views, the price should be reduce a little bit than 3GS. Remember, the new MBP is costing less than the previous version now. Same strategy!!!
Just rumours really. Not confirmed source.
Old 24th May 2011, 10:58   #3099
Team-BHP Support

If it was tonight you would have received emails by now
Old 24th May 2011, 17:21   #3100
BHPian

My wife has just picked the iPhone 4 in UAE and is on her way back to India next week.

Few queries that I have are :
Will she be charged any tax / excise on when she comes to India?
She is using the piece as of now - should she throw away the case and say that she carried it from India?
Can she carry the phone without any issues?
Can she say something and get the phone - the case and the works that comes with the new piece?

Anything else that she should be careful when she returns back. Also any other good gadget that she could buy from there.

I was planning to get the Bose 10.1 series - but read a lot of sad reviews on CNET so decided not to go for the same

Await your help on the above

Cheers

Last edited by saildrive : 24th May 2011 at 17:22. Reason: grammatical error
Old 24th May 2011, 17:26   #3101
BHPian

Dear saildrive,
AFAIK anything above 25k INR has to be declared to customs. As it is for personal use it is better if she carries it as the phone she is using without the case.
Also any other good gadget that she could buy from there. IPAD 2 if it is substantially cheaper.

Cheers.
Old 24th May 2011, 18:43   #3102
Senior - BHPian

iphone4 was insanely priced in UAE when I checked in Feb. The duty free is also nuts. Ipads and other tablets seemed reasonable.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:44   #3103
BHPian

Guys,

This is on behalf of my colleague who is looking to unlock + jailbreak his iphone 4. He was looking for DIY instructions and stumbled onto this site : How To: Unlock iPhone 4 in 5 Minutes

Are the instructions in the above link correct ? If not, any alternative leads ? I tried a brief search on iclarified but did not get any relevant results.

Thanks,

Amogh
Old 25th May 2011, 14:55   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saildrive View Post
My wife has just picked the iPhone 4 in UAE and is on her way back to India next week.

Few queries that I have are :
Will she be charged any tax / excise on when she comes to India?
She is using the piece as of now - should she throw away the case and say that she carried it from India?
Can she carry the phone without any issues?
Can she say something and get the phone - the case and the works that comes with the new piece?
Shouldn't be a problem at all, carrying the iPhone back. My father brought a brand new iPhone 4 (in box, unopened, with bill) from Hong Kong to Chennai in his hand luggage and was also carrying his normal cell phone that he uses, without any problems. He wasn't charged anything.
Old 25th May 2011, 14:58   #3105
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
I bought iPhone 3G 8GB from UK. I got it unlocked. However, a week back it stopped recognizing the service. The network bar just one and no calls possible. I guess the unlock or JB has gone corrupt. What do ya say?

iOS is 4.2.1 and baseband 6.15

Do I neet to JB again? Any links to DIY job. Thanks in advance.

PS : The net applications work fine with wifi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks