Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2017, 08:14   #1036
BHPian

Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Go in for the Exide Invatubular but not the Invamaster or Invaplus.

Have a set of two 200 AH Invatubular batteries going strong after more than 4 years of service.

How much Exide Invatubular 200AH / 180AH cost?
Old 23rd July 2017, 09:20   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcoze View Post
How much Exide Invatubular 200AH / 180AH cost?
It depends from city to city...in Pune the 200 AH was about Rs 20K and the 180 about Rs 18K-ish. You'll need to check with a dealer for the latest post GST prices.
Old 24th July 2017, 11:46   #1038
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
My new Luminous inverter failed within 3 months
Quote:
I've had problems with my Microtek and Su-kam inverters when they were <1 year old
We plan a lot, but in the end when you get down to streets, it's all Surprise...Surprise!!

Looks like APC has taken over Luminous in the last one year & APC is NO LONGER into inverter business & instead Luminous handles it. This means...as claimed by APC & a dealer ofcourse...there will be no more APC branded inverters but Luminous makes with the standards of APC. The sales support personnel kept stressing the words the standards of APC

Whew!! dealers are charging 6K + 18% GST for a new APC 850 BI SINE model. Even if the money didn't matter, finding an APC inverter itself is nearly an impossible task!!

I think the concern now should not be best brand or trouble free product, but, to minimize downtime & ultra fast & convenient service to fix the broken inverter.

What's your suggestion now? Go with Luminous or hunt for next best brand to APC? Tks.

PS - I called up Luminous inverter support 1800-1033-039 not once, but twice, no one bothered to talk other than an automated welcome message, but I could hear background noises like the one we hear in govt offices. This is Luminous support!!
Old 24th July 2017, 12:31   #1039
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
I think the concern now should not be best brand or trouble free product, but, to minimize downtime & ultra fast & convenient service to fix the broken inverter.
That's the practical and recommended way of looking at things instead of going in for some product based on it's brand.

Quote:
What's your suggestion now? Go with Luminous or hunt for next best brand to APC? Tks.
From experience I'd say Microtek and Su-kam are 2 sides of the same coin. Neither is better or worse than the other. They have satisfactory to good service depending on the city you live in. Parts are reasonably priced too. A main board for my Su-Kam 1.5 KVA sine wave inverter is/was be about Rs 1300-1400 + technician's service + visit charges. This is in the pre-GST era.

The other expensive part is the transformer but that's covered under a 7 year warranty.

Not very surprised to read about Luminous. A friend has advised me to stay away saying they're pretty problematic.
Old 24th July 2017, 13:23   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Parts are reasonably priced too. A main board for my Su-Kam 1.5 KVA sine wave inverter is/was be about Rs 1300-1400 + technician's service + visit charges.
At this point, I'm not too worried about the cost of service, but the CONVENIENCE of service matters because of the aged couple living by themselves most of the time.

Ok & here's another surprise...looks like APC has stopped manufacturing APC inverters from 2012 & from then on whatever APC inverters were being manufactured are by Luminous but with APC branding. How to differentiate? APC made by APC have 12 digit serial & APC made by Luminous has 14 digit. I checked mine & found to be 12 digit (2010 model). And when it comes to service, even now, for all 12 digits are being serviced by APC & all 14 digits by Luminous.

So, even if I get hold of an APC, it should be made by Luminous with 14 digit & when it's time for service, the Luminous guys should be walking in

I'm kind of fixed state now not knowing what to do. Looks like I've to now check who provides less trouble & hassle free or door step service for the inverter.

Battery is kind of fixed, either Amaron or mostly Exide IT-500 150Ah.

THANK YOU for your continued help

PS - Best part of speaking with APC support, that guy identified my name in between & the model & serial number I'm using just by my phone number; a super professional approach & good English ascent, that beats many of the car sales guys as well. I'm beginning to love APC even more now

Last edited by aargee : 24th July 2017 at 13:26.
Old 24th July 2017, 14:03   #1041
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
At this point, I'm not too worried about the cost of service, but the CONVENIENCE of service matters because of the aged couple living by themselves most of the time.
I am not sure about any tie-up between APC and Luminous but all I can tell you after using many APC UPS products (Back UPS and Smart UPS range) their service and support is very good. And repairs (rare) are reasonable to fix.

There is no comparison beween the likes of APC and the India based manufacturers. They are out gunned and out classed in the quality of their products + service & support.

Best part of APC? I can and have received help from other customers overseas. Plus the APC forum Mods are APC employees and very very helpful. Based on my experience going back to 2001/02 with APC products, primarily their Back UPS and Smart UPS solutions, if I could get a 1.5-3 KVA APC home inverter I'd buy it in an instant.

As per their India website home inverters are not what APC do any longer so it's best you look at options from other manufacturers.
Old 24th July 2017, 14:19   #1042
BHPian

Quote:
Based on my experience going back to 2001/02 with APC products, primarily their Back UPS and Smart UPS solutions, if I could get a 1.5-3 KVA APC home inverter I'd buy it in an instant.
I have been using their products since 2006 and have two home inverters balancing load in my house. I also have their Smart UPS and another one for my PC though it is not used in that avatar but as a spike protection recently. I also have a 1.2kva Stabilizer from apc. Their customer service is great but I paid 1100rs once for one of their cables from the inverter to the battery, which was pretty pricey. I need to get this same cable fixed or replaced now as it has broken off during my house move last week.
Old 24th July 2017, 14:20   #1043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As per their India website home inverters are not what APC do any longer so it's best you look at options from other manufacturers.
You mean, not even the APC manufactured by Luminous, that is, IF I can get hold of the last batch of APC 850 BI Sine?
Old 24th July 2017, 16:59   #1044
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You mean, not even the APC manufactured by Luminous, that is, IF I can get hold of the last batch of APC 850 BI Sine?
Since the inverter is not listed on the APC site they seem to have discontinued this product line. There may be a few unsold units out there in the market. You'll need to try your luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Their customer service is great but I paid 1100rs once for one of their cables from the inverter to the battery, which was pretty pricey. I need to get this same cable fixed or replaced now as it has broken off during my house move last week.
This is the charging cable that attaches to the battery terminals? If yes, Rs 1100 is pretty pricey. Is that the cost of the part or part + service/installation charge?

Last edited by R2D2 : 24th July 2017 at 17:03. Reason: Typo
Old 24th July 2017, 19:02   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
This is the charging cable that attaches to the battery terminals? If yes, Rs 1100 is pretty pricey. Is that the cost of the part or part + service/installation charge?
Yes that connector had broken and the cable that charges the battery was replaced at that price. I think they did not charge me for the service, can't recall at this time. It has come off again now and this time I intend some. Jugaad rather than pay them for a new one.
Old 24th July 2017, 22:32   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

APC certainly was amazing. Two years warranty and I got a free replacement because my batteries were not holding a charge after 18 months of regular power cuts! Didn't APC get eaten by Schneider?

Luminous customer care did work for us, although it took a couple of tries, resulting in a few days of downtime.

APC did succeed in bringing server-room reliability into the home. If they no longer do it, then I suppose those that need it will have to look to the computer UPS market rather than the traditional Indian consumer stuff.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 24th July 2017 at 22:34.
Old 25th July 2017, 10:41   #1047
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes that connector had broken and the cable that charges the battery was replaced at that price. I think they did not charge me for the service, can't recall at this time. It has come off again now and this time I intend some. Jugaad rather than pay them for a new one.
If you do a 'jugaad' fix that involves soldering a new length of wire do solder the connections properly and use the proper gauge. Inverters can pull 20-30A of current with ease. Even charging current is between 7-15A depending on the model.

I got a pretty big shock (pun not intended) looking at my electricity bill for the month. And then I realised why. My inverter was spending a lot of time (and electricity) charging those twin 200 AH batteries when we were facing those power cuts due to that damaged underground power cable. Maharashtra is freakishly expensive for electricity @ about Rs 7-13/unit depending on the consumption slab.

Thing is, inverters can consume a substantial amount of power to charge attached batteries & keep them continuously charged.

Since the Invatubular batteries are now >4 years old, as per a suggestion on a website, I dropped the charging amps to ~10A (from the normal 12-15A) by setting the battery type selector switch at the back of the unit. It'll take longer to charge back up but put less stress on the batteries and hopefully lower power consumption.
Old 27th July 2017, 01:19   #1048
BHPian

I have hooked up one of inverters after my home shift and connected to a plug meter to monitor power consumption. The inverter was disconnected for about 10 days and on hookup it was consuming 50-55W and drawing <0.5A.
The next day we had a one hour power cut and on power coming back, I checked and it was drawing 270+W at 1.35A.
My second inverter needs the molex pin connected back to the cable as shown in the last picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Batteries-1501098412719.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-1501098428169.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-1501098442991.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-1501098466835.jpg  

Inverter Batteries-1501098547487.jpg  

Old 27th July 2017, 01:26   #1049
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I have hooked up one of inverters after my home shift and connected to a plug meter to monitor power consumption. The inverter was disconnected for about 10 days and on hookup it was consuming 50-55W and drawing <0.5A
In my experience these plug-in meters aren't terribly accurate with inductive loads as with resistive loads. Use a clamp meter or an ammeter in series if possible.
Old 27th July 2017, 02:13   #1050
Distinguished - BHPian

Dear all,

What is the average life of an inverter battery?? Our Exide inverter battery completed its 11 years today, and still going strong

Regards,
Shashi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks