Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2018, 18:05   #1156
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Only DW should be used in any wet battery including tubulars.
Ok, i wasnt aware of this and about a year back used RO water to fill up them. It took around 5-6 bottles of water for the indicator stalk to reach the optimal level. Will settle for DW hereafter.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 14th February 2018, 18:32   #1157
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 4,624 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Ok, i wasnt aware of this and about a year back used RO water to fill up them. It took around 5-6 bottles of water for the indicator stalk to reach the optimal level. Will settle for DW hereafter.
That's a lot of water, assuming each bottle = approx. 1 litre! Don't let the levels drop down so low. If the plates are exposed to air they can be irreversibly damaged.

My Exide 200 AH tubular batteries take only about 1.5-2 litres of water each for a top up from minimum to maximum on the level indicator. I check the batteries every month and top up every 3-4 months since power failures are not common and are of short duration normally 15-30 minutes possibly due to maintenance/repair or power feeder change overs at the sub station. Last top up was in Nov '17 so the next one will be in March.

Check battery water level every 2-3 months in the monsoons and cooler months, and every 1-2 months during the summer. Ambient temperature, # of power failures and corresponding recharges directly affect the water level.

You can buy DW in bulk (5 or 10 l cans) from lab chemical suppliers. Buy from reputed suppliers only.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th February 2018 at 18:34.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 10:20   #1158
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
That's a lot of water, assuming each bottle = approx. 1 litre! Don't let the levels drop down so low. If the plates are exposed to air they can be irreversibly damaged.
The battery was not used for around 6+ months post my relocation to Chennai and hence the water level was so low even though they were covered with their respective caps. Yes, the bottles are each 1 ltr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
You can buy DW in bulk (5 or 10 l cans) from lab chemical suppliers. Buy from reputed suppliers only.
Will scout for these shops in my vicinity and try to get hold of bulk cans. What would be the avg. cost of these? Last I heard was Rs. 100 for a bottle, not sure on the quantity though.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 10:43   #1159
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
The battery was not used for around 6+ months post my relocation to Chennai and hence the water level was so low even though they were covered with their respective caps. Yes, the bottles are each 1 ltr.


Will scout for these shops in my vicinity and try to get hold of bulk cans. What would be the avg. cost of these? Last I heard was Rs. 100 for a bottle, not sure on the quantity though.
In Hyd we get 5 litre bottles (Bisleri type) for about Rs.100. Sometimes, they give for even less if inventory is pending with them.

If the battery was kept unused for long period of time, get it to a battery shop and replace the acid and water. This should not take more then few minutes of work. During draining check if the electrode plates are sulfated or have any deposits on them. Use a torch or mobile light or in sunlight. If they are, then the dealer will clean it with a wire brush (in each cell) and then fill up with mix of acid and water.

If the dealer offers to charge it, note the battery number before you leave it with them.
prithm is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 10:51   #1160
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
In Hyd we get 5 litre bottles (Bisleri type) for about Rs.100. Sometimes, they give for even less if inventory is pending with them.

If the battery was kept unused for long period of time, get it to a battery shop and replace the acid and water.
Post the idle period, the battery is filled with RO water and doing its duty for the last 6 months. Now I notice that few of the water leveler are below the max mark and hence the need to fill it.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 11:04   #1161
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Post the idle period, the battery is filled with RO water and doing its duty for the last 6 months. Now I notice that few of the water leveler are below the max mark and hence the need to fill it.
The concept of distilled water in battery is to make sure no mineral other than Sulfur is present.

RO water in turn has the heavy metals removed and calcium and sodium added along with other minerals to make it soft and palatable.

Better to top up with distilled water going forward. And do please keep it away from reach of kids. Some distilled water makers add Sulphuric Acid for battery use specifically.
prithm is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 11:08   #1162
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
The concept of distilled water in battery is to make sure no mineral other than Sulfur is present.

RO water in turn has the heavy metals removed and calcium and sodium added along with other minerals to make it soft and palatable.

Better to top up with distilled water going forward. And do please keep it away from reach of kids. Some distilled water makers add Sulphuric Acid for battery use specifically.
Sure will do and make sure the distilled water is out of reach for children and stored safely and separately.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 12:52   #1163
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 4,624 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
The battery was not used for around 6+ months post my relocation to Chennai and hence the water level was so low even though they were covered with their respective caps. Yes, the bottles are each 1 ltr.
Exposure to air within the battery casing will also damage the plates. Never let water levels drop down to this level even if the battery is unused. The plates should be always covered with electrolyte.

Quote:
Will scout for these shops in my vicinity and try to get hold of bulk cans. What would be the avg. cost of these? Last I heard was Rs. 100 for a bottle, not sure on the quantity though.
Well, it depends, if you want absolutely pure lab grade DW it becomes slightly more expensive.

I paid about 300 for 10L from a lab chemical supplier but this was not lab grade but good enough for use in a battery. Yes, but it is certainly better than the slightly acidic water one gets at petrol stations. My 200 AH batteries cost about Rs 20K each and I do what I can so they last as long as possible.

Also, as was mentioned in another post by @prithm some DW water manufacturers have very slightly acidic top up 'solutions' to prevent battery Sp. Gr from dropping when water is filled. Let me repeat - one should never add any acid no matter how dilute to a battery. It causes sulphation and can reduce battery life precipitously. The only thing you add to a wet battery, whether used in cars, inverters, UPSes, etc is pure DW, nothing else.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 13:27   #1164
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Exposure to air within the battery casing will also damage the plates.
Thanks for the tip. Will ensure all the points are religiously followed and will source DW only from reputed dealers.
Planning for the DIY this weekend and post the before and after pics. Hopefully this turns out to be as required.
dre@ms is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 16:27   #1165
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 4,624 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Thanks for the tip. Will ensure all the points are religiously followed and will source DW only from reputed dealers.
Planning for the DIY this weekend and post the before and after pics. Hopefully this turns out to be as required.
Buy 5-10 litres of water from a reputed supplier. Buy from shops that supply to labs as these have products of better grade than you'd find at an auto dealer or petrol pump.

You are probably doing a top up for the first time. So please make sure you follow these safety tips:

a) Use safety goggles and thin latex gloves whilst topping up water

b) Be careful NEVER to cause sparks or take an open flame or cigarette etc near the battery. It will cause the hydrogen gas in battery to explode. You really don't want litres of sulphuric acid on your face and body. Inverter batteries have between 10-20 litres of electrolyte depending on model.

c) Dilute about 3-4 tbsps of baking soda in a large mug of water and use the solution to clean off any acid corrosion on the exterior battery casing or terminals taking due care never to allow this solution to enter the battery. The caps should be on tight.

d) Solution can also be used to neutralise any acid spray/droplets that falls on the surrounding area.

e) Wash your hands with soap and water after the procedure is done.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 17:55   #1166
BHPian
 
dre@ms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: MADRAS
Posts: 632
Thanked: 201 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Buy 5-10 litres of water from a reputed supplier. Buy from shops that supply to labs as these have products of better grade than you'd find at an auto dealer or petrol pump.

You are probably doing a top up for the first time. So please make sure you follow these safety tips:
Scary

But I have never seen my dealer taking any precaution like this when he topped up. It was like filling water in containers from a bottle.

Even the last time when I filled the battery with RO water, didnt take any precautions as such. The repercussions of any mishap looks OMG.

Are these applicable only for DW procured from lab suppliers?
dre@ms is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 18:14   #1167
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 4,624 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Scary But I have never seen my dealer taking any precaution like this when he topped up. It was like filling water in containers from a bottle. Even the last time when I filled the battery with RO water, didnt take any precautions as such. The repercussions of any mishap looks OMG.
Not taking precautions is like people riding bikes without helmets or driving cars without putting their seat-belts on. Yeah, you can ride/drive but woe betide if you have an road accident. The consequences could range from mild to deadly.

Similarly, battery handling precautions are just that - to prevent injury just in case of an accident.

But please note, the battery WILL explode if you are careless and carry an open flame, smoke or if there's a spark in the vicinity of the vent caps. Do NOT connect/disconnect battery cables when it is being charged or just completed a charge. Make sure you ventilate the area. Use a table fan or similar to disperse the H2 gas from the area.

Quote:
Are these applicable only for DW procured from lab suppliers?
Nothing to do with the type of water. The explosive gas is formed by the process of chemical reactions in the battery itself.

Batteries when charged give off minute quantities of hydrogen gas which is normally safely vented out through the vent holes. And school level chemistry tells us H2 is very explosive So be cautious around lead acid batteries of any type including car batteries.

Last edited by R2D2 : 15th February 2018 at 18:17.
R2D2 is offline  
Old 15th February 2018, 19:29   #1168
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,533
Thanked: 15,354 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Scary

But I have never seen my dealer taking any precaution like this when he topped up ... ... ...
Yet another instance where nothing will happen. Until the day it does.

I used to handle concentrated sulphuric acid, make up, and use dilutions. Most people would say, from my posts, that I am a very safety-concious person... but no, I did not do everything by the book. If I give the lecture, I'd have to say, do as I say, not as I do! But I can still see, and never suffered any worse than droplet burns, which are quickly and easily treated with soap. My clothes got injured more than I did.

But the first and foremost thing with this stuff is to know and recognise the risks. Batteries add hydrogen to the picture. Potential big bangs.
Thad E Ginathom is offline  
Old 16th February 2018, 08:36   #1169
BHPian
 
prithm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: MAA - HYD
Posts: 669
Thanked: 664 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Also, as was mentioned in another post by @prithm some DW water manufacturers have very slightly acidic top up 'solutions' to prevent battery Sp. Gr from dropping when water is filled. Let me repeat - one should never add any acid no matter how dilute to a battery. It causes sulphation and can reduce battery life precipitously. The only thing you add to a wet battery, whether used in cars, inverters, UPSes, etc is pure DW, nothing else.
The home inverter technicians are the biggest culprits. In large apartments where they have AMC, they bring large drums filled with such solutions. And also almost all battery repair shops have these in stock called "Battery Water".

The best example with me was when I was topping up my car battery, I spilled excess and it touched the battery holder harness. Within 3 months it corroded that screw and last week I had to repaint the harness screw with battery terminal coat paint to avoid further rust. I spilled few on my favorite T-shirt and now there is a big hole exactly at my tummy. If it gets on your fingers while refilling, it tingles for few minutes and if there is a cut or bruise, it surely stings.

So, better to be safe than sorry. DW or Battery water, you just need to be really careful while handling these liquids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Scary

But I have never seen my dealer taking any precaution like this when he topped up. It was like filling water in containers from a bottle.

Even the last time when I filled the battery with RO water, didnt take any precautions as such. The repercussions of any mishap looks OMG.

Are these applicable only for DW procured from lab suppliers?
Lab grade is something very hard to get. Though, its doable if you know where to find. These are usually found in areas where Lab Equipments are sold. I remember spots in Parry Corner where they used to have small shops with all school lab supplies stocked. But, that was more than 10 years ago. You really don't need that very high grade for the current task in hand. Just get it filled with stock from local dealer. It should be just fine.

Last edited by prithm : 16th February 2018 at 08:49. Reason: spelling mistake
prithm is offline  
Old 16th February 2018, 10:00   #1170
Distinguished - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 3,007
Thanked: 4,624 Times
Default Re: Inverter Batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by prithm View Post
The best example with me was when I was topping up my car battery, I spilled excess and it touched the battery holder harness. Within 3 months it corroded that screw and last week I had to repaint the harness screw with battery terminal coat paint to avoid further rust. I spilled few on my favorite T-shirt and now there is a big hole exactly at my tummy. If it gets on your fingers while refilling, it tingles for few minutes and if there is a cut or bruise, it surely stings.
One must take care not to overfill ANY wet battery as that will lead to it venting excess fluid which in turn forms corrosion on the terminals and other metallic objects nearby. Fill up to the bottom of the vent holes and not more. You can use a torch to aid visibility. Make sure you switch the torch on and off away from the battery. The space between the electrolyte and top of the battery casing is required for gasses to accumulate and recombine to water which is why they are low maintenance batteries.

Avoid dropping any excess water onto the battery case or brackets keep it dry. Other than the battery clamps + terminals you can apply a light coat of Vaseline on the bracket bolt and nut to keep it corrosion free.

Quote:
So, better to be safe than sorry. DW or Battery water, you just need to be really careful while handling these liquids.
Pure DW is a neutral fluid pH 7 i.e. neither alkaline or acidic and thus will not corrode anything.
R2D2 is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks