Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2009, 23:03   #271
BANNED

@KB, fact is that my room gets cooled faster with an L.G than with O-Gen. Even if there is a problem with the A.C. according to you, that again indicates poor control/service by O-Gen.

Offcourse I would rely upon the figures on the LCD, than anyone else who hasn't even seen my AC. How can you dispute the LCD gauges on these AC's, this a big goof up! Tomorrow you would start disputing meters on the cars too!!

I have seen a couple of other similar O-Gen. AC's too, their cooling was same, which rules out defect.

Really I don't want to dive into technicalities & waste my Time/energy on aimless reading, I have far better things to do, than opening a Refrigration business!
What I know is that my O-Gen. AC doesn't cool upto my expectations while other lesser known brands do the job pretty well.

Also, may I suggest that biggies do fall & whatever goes up falls down, take automotive giants Ford/GM as an eg. Which emplies, days of O-Gen. might be numbered or may be already over!!

@Anup, oh hell ya, I pay for cooling in an AC & not useless materials that do not provide the basic thing needed out of an AC, "COOLING".

I want an AC that cools not a dabba that lasts!!
Old 27th February 2009, 00:28   #272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp1 View Post
@KB, fact is that my room gets cooled faster with an L.G than with O-Gen. Even if there is a problem with the A.C. according to you, that again indicates poor control/service by O-Gen.

Offcourse I would rely upon the figures on the LCD, than anyone else who hasn't even seen my AC. How can you dispute the LCD gauges on these AC's, this a big goof up! Tomorrow you would start disputing meters on the cars too!!

I have seen a couple of other similar O-Gen. AC's too, their cooling was same, which rules out defect.

Really I don't want to dive into technicalities & waste my Time/energy on aimless reading, I have far better things to do, than opening a Refrigration business!
What I know is that my O-Gen. AC doesn't cool upto my expectations while other lesser known brands do the job pretty well.

Also, may I suggest that biggies do fall & whatever goes up falls down, take automotive giants Ford/GM as an eg. Which emplies, days of O-Gen. might be numbered or may be already over!!

@Anup, oh hell ya, I pay for cooling in an AC & not useless materials that do not provide the basic thing needed out of an AC, "COOLING".

I want an AC that cools not a dabba that lasts!!

BHP1.. I don't understand why you are taking this personally. I am choosing to respond since you have chosen to specifically address your post to me!

Now the 'how I can dispute the LCD guages...' part. You have stated something factually incorrect on a public forum - this has been highlighted and a scientific explanation offered - by more than one member I might add. You can still chose to believe whatever you want. After all, people for a very long time believed the earth is flat... probably a few still do!!

Incidentally the meters in the cars ARE inaccurate too! All of them are built with a certain tolerance. For example - no car showing 100kmph is doing a true 100kmph. This is a scientific proven fact too. You will find enough proof on this very forum. The BHP figure of your car is also inaccurate - in real life situations you will find it to be higher or lesser than the claimed figure based on a plethora of variables! This forum taught me all that - and more ... but offcourse .. aimless reading etc.... Like the saying goes - "Growing old is not an option - growing wise is!"

I am happy that you are happy - both with your knowledge and with your choice of products! I have absolutely no problem with both and am very sorry to have given you an impression otherwise!!

BTW : I really like your signature - very insightful!

Last edited by kb100 : 27th February 2009 at 00:48.
Old 27th February 2009, 00:41   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
This thermostat is always placed at the front air filter. It can be very easily 'doctored' by shifting it under or over the filter, by wrapping a small piece of paper or foil around it, by wrapping it in a thick cloth (effectively de-commissioning it! LOL) etc...

You are right Anup. This 'filter' (largely a dust trap) covers the return air circuit. Which is another reason why the thermostat gets dirty fast! And every layer of dirt renders it increasingly inaccurate. Secondly most mass market ACs come with cheapest possible thermostats. I had access to a report giving results of an experiment opening up quite a few AC machines of different brands. I am hunting for it and will put it up if I can find it - makes for some very interesting reading! (..for the ones interested of'course!)

Last edited by kb100 : 27th February 2009 at 00:43.
Old 27th February 2009, 08:06   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bhp1, all I can say is amen and more power to you!
Apologies for attempting to inform you about a few basics. Indeed this seems to been a goof up, nay, a big goof up!
Old 27th February 2009, 13:13   #275
BANNED

@KB, no I didn't take anything personally, rather thanks for your inputs. I specifically addressed my posts towards you as you specifically quoted mine.

See the thing about gauges is that they give us an idea of the things & are of immense use/utility. How would you not dispute thermometers then, they are also a kind of a gauge! Little fumbling of gauges here & there is fine, but that's with both the AC's then, not only with LG.

Ones skin/senses are the best gauge, my senses tell me that my LG aircon chills/cools faster/more than O-Gen. So, Ive mentioned this on the forum for everyone to know that OGen. might be having a big name, but there are other lesser names/brands that solve the purpose better & in cheap.

Whether one grows wise or old, ultimately both roads arrive at a dead end!
Someone who is wise for someone, may be fool for someone!

Btw, you are welcome to visit my place & check for yourself, the cooling/lack of both/all the A.C's for your satisfaction.

@Anup, thanks, but "power" is not something Im after/aspire.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:31   #276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Someone who is wise for someone, may be fool for someone!

Btw, you are welcome to visit my place & check for yourself, the cooling/lack of both/all the A.C's for your satisfaction.
Bhp1, nobody wishes to visit your place to verify the claims you have made! We take them at face value, but suggested that there could be some problem with the particular unit.
Surely that does not mean disbelieving what you are saying!

I think it is well understood that while we buy an AC for purposes of cooling, the virtue must extend beyond that, in terms of the longevity of the unit.
I would hate to have to buy a new AC every 4 years or so! If a particular brand has achieved the enviable reputation of being very durable, surely the higher price has some justification. People perceive that and are willing to pay.

History has shown that a wise man's position is unassailable. Anyone that took him for a fool has ultimately been shown to have been the real one!
Since none of here is in that distinguished league, I think it best to not bring in such taunts.

The intentions were bona fide!
Old 27th February 2009, 13:35   #277
Senior - BHPian

BHP1.. No where has anyone questioned the fact that your LG cools better than your OG. If you go back and read thru the last couple of pages you will find that we ONLY spoke about the gauges - and their relevance - that the LG cooling better has nothing to do with the display showing a certain figure. And this is the case with ALL A/Cs bar the high end ones. NO one anywhere mentioned this is what LG does exclusively - how did you then interpret it like a personal attack on LG and your experience with it??

As regards why the OG is not doing well - it needs to be checked by an independent expert. The OGs are all imported... and as is the case with anything in demand, there are a lot of reconditioned and rejected pieces being brought down to India and sold here as new! That however is another story entirely! But since you claim three of your friends have also faced the same issue, maybe it might be worthwhile to get the machines tested by an independent expert to rule out the possibility of you being sold a lemon( - that is if you want to!)

Last edited by kb100 : 27th February 2009 at 13:43.
Old 27th February 2009, 13:56   #278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Did that initially only, but that's all it cools. I already said that O-General's USP is its fan/blower speed & not cooling per say. The high speed of the fan makes the users get a false impression of cooling, this is the catch in O-general A.C's.
I said that I use O-General at 27-28C. Also use a ceiling fan at low speed. In the summer nights of Delhi, this ensures that we sleep well using a cotton sheet, without sweating, and if there is a false impression, let it be. The job for which the AC was bought gets done.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:01   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
The OGs are all imported... and as is the case with anything in demand, there are a lot of reconditioned and rejected pieces being brought down to India and sold here as new!
Not anymore, they are made in India now.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:04   #280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Not anymore, they are made in India now.

Are They? - The authorised dealer I met yesterday was categoric that they are imported.

Well... it doesn't matter!
Old 27th February 2009, 14:06   #281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Are They? - The authorised dealer I met yesterday was categoric that they are imported.

Well... it doesn't matter!
Probably the split is still imported, but the window is certainly made here at Pondy.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:15   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Okay folks.. the deed is done! Just booked an ONIDA 'SLIM MIRROR' SM18SLM 1.5t split A/c . Getting it with a Premier Stabiliser and Inclusive of installation for 29k.

This is a five star rated model and has an EER of 11.06 ( 18254BTU/1650W) - The Hitachi with the same specs would have costed me 10k more, hence decided to go with this.

Thank you all for all your inputs!

Installation only tmw
Hey KB, did u get the A/C installed yet? Waiting for your review before I take the plunge .If Onida has similar ratings to Hitachi, I dont really see the need of spending an extra 10K. Will decide only after your review, though.
Old 27th February 2009, 14:23   #283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Hey KB, did u get the A/C installed yet? Waiting for your review before I take the plunge .If Onida has similar ratings to Hitachi, I dont really see the need of spending an extra 10K. Will decide only after your review, though.
Nope. The dealer just called and sent the unit is en route to my house. Hopefully they will able to finish the installation today itself. Last night I had to take a bath at 2.00am to cool off!!!
Old 27th February 2009, 14:48   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last night I had to take a bath at 2.00am to cool off!!!
Err... what exactly was causing the discomfort, if I may ask?!!

It usually takes no more than 2 hours for them to do the full installation of a split.
Not every house has a 17 inch reinforced concrete 'wall' that the pipes have to go through!! It took the LG guys 7 hours to install mine! Lucky they had shown up at around noon!
Old 27th February 2009, 14:55   #285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Err... what exactly was causing the discomfort, if I may ask?!!
It was both Hot and Sticky last night!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks