Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2009, 13:35   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quiet window ac

Hi Guys, Im looking for a 1.5 ton split ac for my flat. priorities are efficiency, quiet operation and reliability. budget around 20 k. Could the experts help me out here. TIA
GD
Old 9th April 2009, 17:26   #347
Senior - BHPian

I want to buy Split AC for my bed room 14 X 12 feet. I am confused between 1 ton and 1.5 ton. With most of research on internet I felt that 1 ton split AC would be sufficient for my need.

But when I talk to people around us (Even some AC walla) they recommend 1.5 ton.

I would like to know from you people who already using 1 ton AC. Whether it will be sufficient for my bed room size? Going for 1 ton would mean lesser electricity bill and more use. But I have to think about performance also.

I am stuck between BHP and Mileage :(

Last edited by anujmishra : 9th April 2009 at 17:27.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:41   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Going for 1 ton would mean lesser electricity bill and more use.
(
Nope not really.

A 1 tonner might have too slog to provide the same cooling as a 1.5 tonner. So not only are the electricity bills going to be the same (or larger), the wear and tear is going to be higher as well.

For your room a 1 tonner should be okay if you are planning to use it only at night. If you plan to use it during the day as well - then you might find it 'gasping' a lil - esp if your room is west facing - in which case a 1.5 will be both better and more efficient!

Please keep future in mind - are you likely to move to a house with larger bedrooms/ hotter environment etc? If so the 1 tonner may become redundant!
Old 9th April 2009, 17:45   #349
Senior - BHPian

@KB- Hows your onida performing till date, i guess its been around 2 months now since you bought it. Any review?
Old 9th April 2009, 17:47   #350
Senior - BHPian

Anuj, for a city like Bangalore I'd say go for the one ton unit.
Of course a lot depends on where exactly your room is located with respect to incident sunshine etc and how much furnishing there is in the room.

However, the point I am trying to make is different: If you can keep the AC compressor running for long periods without it having to cut off, you will be saving a lot of money.
The compressor uses a disproportionate amount of electricity each time it starts. This is totally 'wasted' energy.

A one ton AC running continuously will consume about 30 to 40 % less power than a more powerful one that is on the typical cut-in and cut-off cycling duty, to maintain the same room temperature. In short, remember, if you can minimize the on-off cycling you are saving power! Hence, I feel the one ton would prove to be more economical for you.

On very hot days you might find the cooling a tad too low, but that is a trade off you'll have to live with.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:50   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
@KB- Hows your onida performing till date, i guess its been around 2 months now since you bought it. Any review?

No complaints so far! Except the 'auto-swing' is very very slow - might have to get that looked at.
Old 9th April 2009, 17:56   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Except the 'auto-swing' is very very slow - might have to get that looked at.
I don't think that is a fault. It is meant to be slow - just to prevent stratification and pockets in the room.
Old 9th April 2009, 18:24   #353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
I don't think that is a fault. It is meant to be slow - just to prevent stratification and pockets in the room.

Anup - this thing takes over a minute to cycle - surely that is slow?!
Old 14th April 2009, 13:55   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
Hi Guys, Im looking for a 1.5 ton split ac for my flat. priorities are efficiency, quiet operation and reliability. budget around 20 k. Could the experts help me out here. TIA
GD
Hi can any one help me out here? waiting for your suggestions.
Old 14th April 2009, 17:25   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goandude View Post
waiting for your suggestions.
At a budget of 20K you may not have many options for a 1.5 Ton Split.

If you can't stretch your budget then you may get an Onida within that budget.

If you have a budget of around 25K, then you can go for a plethora of models from LG, Carrier, Samsung and Voltas.

Please give the details of your room (specifications, whether covered by a floor and the nature of use) for better guidance.
Old 15th April 2009, 15:04   #356
Senior - BHPian

WINDOW not split sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post
At a budget of 20K you may not have many options for a 1.5 Ton Split.

If you can't stretch your budget then you may get an Onida within that budget.

If you have a budget of around 25K, then you can go for a plethora of models from LG, Carrier, Samsung and Voltas.

Please give the details of your room (specifications, whether covered by a floor and the nature of use) for better guidance.
I'm Sorry I meant window. I know one cannot get a split for 20 K. But i was looking for quiet operation, reliability and efficiency.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:28   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Just got AC's revamped at our office. Got a couple of Mitsubishi Mr.Slim series and a Daikin. They seem to cool very well but what are the power consumption ratings of these models? They didn't come with the star rating sticker fitted for some reason.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:41   #358
F50
Senior - BHPian

Looking for 1.5T Split AC. I got a quote for Carrier around 30k and just in O General - 34k w/o b&w.

Which one to go for? I need two units. Is it good to buy two separate units or is there any option where I can use one unit to power two rooms?
Old 15th April 2009, 16:45   #359
Team-BHP Support

Priyank, try Voltas. I got Voltas installed in our Pune house and their performance and service has been excellent.

My uncle has been struggling with LG who don't service any AC sold by them after 5 years. They will repair at cost rather than a maintenance plan.

Carrier is not as good as it used to be. Have heard a few complaints.

Daikin is also worth checking out.
Old 15th April 2009, 16:59   #360
BHPian

We got 1 daikin ac in one room(1 ton). Like the advertisement, it is very quiet. In the other too rooms we have Onida ac's! they are good too. They have a 3 star rating each! They are almost as quiet as the daikin ac's. Plus as they have rotary compressors, it give efficient and quick cooling.
I remember, when i was in school, our tution teachers, house split ac cought fire! was some assembeled ac. ASSEMBLED ac! beat that. I have heard of assembled computers!(i got one) but an Ac??

Most Viewed