Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2009, 16:41   #436
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
Yesterday finally the LG service guy turned up to inspect my brand new LG 1.5 AC ( aleady posted here regarding cooling and thermostat problem ). Firstly it was a change to see a neatly dressed (with tie) person attending the unit after the shabby outsourced guys of Reliance Digital who are supposed to be providing support.

The official said that gas is not sufficient in the Unit and he will return on Saturday to fill it up. He mentioned that AC has to cutt off in 12 -13 mts on running once its operating in a cooled room condition. So waiting to see if the gas refill will help me.
Brand new LG AC and a problem!!!. Small compensation that the LG service guy had per chance taken his weekly bath that same day. `Life is Good' for them if not for their customers.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:46   #437
Senior - BHPian

Interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I would say Hitachi is worth the price in terms of features, cooling, noise and low electricity bill.

I have a hitachi window AC which I cannot use as my new apartment does not have provision for window AC. Anyone interested, let me know.
Pl PM me the particulars. Im on the look out for a window ac 1.5 t
Old 24th April 2009, 16:54   #438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Brand new LG AC and a problem!!!. Small compensation that the LG service guy had per chance taken his weekly bath that same day. `Life is Good' for them if not for their customers.
Quite possible for a brand new AC to have an issue.

If installation is not done correctly.
The gas needs to be let out of the system. Sometime too much is let out.

When the pipes between the outdoor and indoor units are connected, they need to be tested for leaks.
Generally soap water is applied on the connection points.
This process itself should ideally take at least 5 mins of install time.
As there a couple of points that are tested.

There is of course the lemon factor, but I am not talking about that.
Old 24th April 2009, 17:38   #439
Senior - BHPian

To make things easier , I would like to point out that the AC compressor is the most vital part & it consumes the maximum energy. Compressors with an EER greater should be preferred, the higher the EER the better as it will guzzle less power.
If you are not tech savvy & don’t understand the EER concepts then things are simple now by following the BEE Star ratings, Choose an AC which has at least a 4/5 star rating (my choice is 5).
5 star rated products might be a bit expensive & difficult to find in market but it will save you lot of money in the long run .
Secondly Split units by design are more energy efficient than Window units, provided that the split unit is installed properly. Fancy features usually advertised are of not much use as per my experience with AC’s.

Finally , I am kind of environmentalist so my views are biased towards energy saving.
Attached is a BEE rated list of AC’s.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AC.pdf (29.0 KB, 3382 views)

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th April 2009 at 17:44. Reason: Removed Font tags, Please dont copy paste from an external word editor, thanks
Old 24th April 2009, 17:41   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Quite possible for a brand new AC to have an issue.

If installation is not done correctly.
The gas needs to be let out of the system. Sometime too much is let out.

When the pipes between the outdoor and indoor units are connected, they need to be tested for leaks.
Generally soap water is applied on the connection points.
This process itself should ideally take at least 5 mins of install time.
As there a couple of points that are tested.

There is of course the lemon factor, but I am not talking about that.
He indeed let out the gas, bit i thought very little. Did not do the soap test !!
What is lemon factor ??
Old 24th April 2009, 17:53   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay456 View Post
He indeed let out the gas, bit i thought very little. Did not do the soap test !!
What is lemon factor ??
The soap test is a very crucial part in installing a split AC.
The installation guy has missed it, that is bad.

When they volunteer to refill the gas, please have the entire unit discharged and then filled with the exact amount that is needed.
There is no concept of topup for gases.

(If someone has more info, I would love to be corrected on this)

The lemon.
That is when you have bought a faulty thing.
Lemon Law America

Generally applied to automobiles that are to put it simply, bad.
Old 24th April 2009, 19:05   #442
BHPian

About Reciprocating compressors

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms001 View Post
Thats exactly how it is.Rotary is the new technology consumes less power and , much more silent too.
True but Rotary is still considered less effective than Reciprocating compressors, also Reciprocating compressors can last upto twice as longer.

My friend has a O General reciprocating comp a/c that is older than him!! (and last i checked he was 23!).

BTW you can no longer get reciprocating comp A/C's in the <1.6 tonne market. O general in its maiden year in 2005 or 06 came out with 1.5 reciprocating compressors (Fujitsu), however in its very next year it switched to rotary after understanding the value driven Indian market. It now sells reciprocating compressors only with higher capacity units.

In terms of pure chilling nothing still comes close to O general except maybe Hitachi. (apart from having more features, sleek looks and also more costly). A friend who has both rates Hitachi higher due to less noisy operation.

The worst? - LG & carrier in IMO. Carrier heard a lot of complaints and LG - plain slow!

Elito

P.s. - Anyone with any views on Panasonic?

Last edited by Elito11 : 24th April 2009 at 19:08.
Old 24th April 2009, 23:13   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

It might be low voltage, but I doubt it. Today, out third Samsung AC is not giving any cooling.

That is, over the approx two years since the units were installed:

1 ton split: leaking gas from both compressor and leaking cooling coil; took several visits from Samsung-nominated guys, who always seemed to get something wrong, to fix. This is our bedroom unit and gets used almost every night of the year, at least for some time.

2 ton split: leak in compressor plumbing. Fixed by local guy. Cooling is not as good as it was. This is our hall unit. Minimal usage in non-summer months, gets worked hard April to June.

1.5 ton split: the least used, serving a spare bedroom.

So, out of three Samsung units, in two years, that is every one has failed at some time. You can tell I had some brand loyalty to have bought them in the first place --- I'm defecting!
Old 25th April 2009, 20:20   #444
BHPian

So the offers are pouring in all over and here in Hyd we have got 3 dealers offering Free Installation + Stabliser + Assured Gifts + 0% Finance (or x% discount) and more stuff valid until 27th of Apr 09.

So I would like to know your expert opinion on choosing a 1.5 Split the following :
  • Godrej - Got a Godrej Refrigerator for over 10 years and no trouble so far So bit inclined towards it.
  • Voltas - From Tata and also know someone working for Voltas
  • Onida - Comes with Hitachi Compressor (as per earlier Posts)
Can someone suggest the best split from these 3 brands ? And if possible Model No / Price and the main requirement is 5 Star AC with lowest electricity bills and at the same time best cooling.

Room size is about 150 Sft and is the hottest room of the house though not west facing or next to terrace - could be due to PC and also lack of ventilation.

So planning to get one mostly in next 24 to 48 hours.

Thanks.

Last edited by TrueDreamer : 25th April 2009 at 20:21.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:05   #445

Good choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu_DL8SAL2859 View Post
Hey Guys, thanks for all the posts. This forum was nice work on AC's. I finally picked up the Hitachi 1.5ton window for 25K+2K for stabiliser.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Ashutosh
Good choice no doubt. I own a Hitachi 2.0 split and 1.5 window and no issues(except for had to use booster stabilizers for low voltage issues in my neighborhood) for almost 2 yrs (touchwood )

A little expensive, but I am very happy with my choice....wonderful cooling and silent too.

Please check with the dealer for booster stabilizers in case your neighborhood has low voltage issues.

Chill out.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:40   #446
Distinguished - BHPian

Our 2-ton Samsung is not cooling at all today. Back to the repair man.

Nothing was cooling this afternoon: power cut from 12.30pm to 4.30pm. I'm supposed to be a heat lover, but this was bad --- I was forced to sit in the garden and read a book!

I guess that these Samsungs of ours are going to be repared and kept going for as along as we can, but Panasonic is on my list to check out for next time.

Comments on Bluerstar noted though, as well.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:44   #447
Team-BHP Support

Thad, there is nothing like Hitachi. Go for it, even at a premium.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:27   #448
Distinguished - BHPian

I recall looking at a Hitachi double unit --- split, one outdoor, two indoor --- when we were buying; it was more expensive than two Samsungs!
Old 26th April 2009, 01:34   #449
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I recall looking at a Hitachi double unit --- split, one outdoor, two indoor --- when we were buying; it was more expensive than two Samsungs!
... and maybe four times as joyful?

Write to Samsung Thad. Get them to repair your units once and for all!

If you do have to pick a new one, as you rightly put it - DEFECT!

Last edited by kb100 : 26th April 2009 at 01:35.
Old 26th April 2009, 01:40   #450
Senior - BHPian

I own 2 Hitachi 1.5 ton Window ACs.One is Quadricool which I purchased in 2005 and other is a single window blower which i purchased in 2007.
Quadricool is giving me all sort of problems like Fan motor getting busted twice...damage to my pocket close to 2K.
Fan Blower speed is stuck at one mode and Hitachi guys are clueless about this defect.Im frustrated and in this summer its even more frustrating.
Any ideas?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks