Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd April 2009, 20:37   #421
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy_swift View Post

I dont think you have 5 star rated 2 ton split AC.Can anyone throw some light on this?
i think general does have one. all generals are 5 star rated.
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:55   #422
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Are you sure??
Yes. They were in the original packing of the compressor. I opened the box myself and checked the stuff inside before the installation folks came in.

Was the packing opened before you took delivery?
Old 22nd April 2009, 21:57   #423
Senior - BHPian

hey guys,

a few doubts:

what are the advantages of a split ac over a regular window ac?

for example:

a 3 star lg window ac:

LG Air Conditioners- Room AC, Window AC, Mini Multi Split & Floor Standing ACs | LG Electronics India

a 3 star samsung window ac:

comfort is a short breeze away with SAMSUNG bio sleeplus air conditioners AW18WSB - Window Air Conditioners - Air Conditioner | SAMSUNG

the cheapest 3 star lg split ac :

LG Air Conditioners- Room AC, Window AC, Mini Multi Split & Floor Standing ACs | LG Electronics India

the cheapest 3 star samsung split ac :

comfort is a short breeze away with SAMSUNG bio sleeplus air conditioners AS18ULA - Split Air Conditioners - Air Conditioner | SAMSUNG

well from what i could see above apart from the star rating being similar and the window ac having just a few lesser features than the split ac, what are the other benefits for the split ac?

the price diff is considerable,plus from my experience window ac's are much easier to clean.

and wouldnt window ac's be less messier to install (provided the room has the provision for it)?

the reason am asking is, planning to pick up a few new ac's for home and the price margin is a lot, for the price of 3 splits i could easily get 4 window variants of the same BEE rating

my current airconditoners are 2 ton and 1.5 ton general window airconditoners, and am very very happy with them. what are the BEE ratings for the current general airconditoners?

also another small doubt:

why does fujistu general itself refer to the general acs as o-general?

check out the link below:

shows the india website as: ogeneralindia.com (under construction)

Contact(India) - FUJITSU GENERAL GLOBAL

Last edited by aadix : 22nd April 2009 at 22:14.
Old 22nd April 2009, 22:09   #424
Senior - BHPian

I would say Hitachi is worth the price in terms of features, cooling, noise and low electricity bill.

I have a hitachi window AC which I cannot use as my new apartment does not have provision for window AC. Anyone interested, let me know.

Last edited by PatienceWins : 22nd April 2009 at 22:11.
Old 22nd April 2009, 23:12   #425
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Yes. They were in the original packing of the compressor. I opened the box myself and checked the stuff inside before the installation folks came in.

Was the packing opened before you took delivery?
Hell No!

They distracted my attention - sent me out for a 15 amp plug.. and when I got back they had taken the compressor for installation!! The box is still with me - that had nothing in it but for packing material!

I will have to take this up with Onida People!
Old 23rd April 2009, 09:56   #426

Hey Guys, thanks for all the posts. This forum was nice work on AC's. I finally picked up the Hitachi 1.5ton window for 25K+2K for stabiliser.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Ashutosh
Old 23rd April 2009, 11:17   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashu_DL8SAL2859 View Post
Hey Guys, thanks for all the posts. This forum was nice work on AC's. I finally picked up the Hitachi 1.5ton window for 25K+2K for stabiliser.

Thanks all.

Cheers,
Ashutosh
That is a great choice. I am sure you would love it.
Old 23rd April 2009, 13:47   #428
BHPian

aadix
Quote:
what are the advantages of a split ac over a regular window ac?
A split AC is easy to maintain. It is very quiet and doesn't take up space or window compared with a window unit. From security point of view, Windows AC can be 'kicked in' and a thief can easily enter through the hole if you live in the ground floor. Modern window units have a metal clamp to block the unit from being pushed from outside.

Another major advantage of a split unit is the uniform distribution of cool air around the room. A window unit may leave you with hot pockets somewhere in the room and have a "freeze" zone just before the grill.

Power consumption is the same for both units as they use the same compressors. Window unit may have one less fan but the fan of the window unit consumes a bit more making it even.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:39   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

The compressor is the noisy component, with a window unit, it is pretty-much in your room.

I suspect that the outdoor units make less noise anyway; they are more sturdy in construction, and should be mounted on rubber pads which helps prevent vibration from passing to the building. However, don't mount one too close to your window!
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:49   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb100 View Post
Are you sure??

I did not get one when I bought my Onida - DESPITE asking for it!

What is the escalation matrix?
Yeah, me too. Had to pay 750 for the brackets.
Old 23rd April 2009, 15:53   #431
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Brackets are given along with the compressor. Not required to pay separately. I got them for a Onida and a LG AC.
Have purchased two Samsung Splits till now.
A one Ton last year and a 1.5 last week.

Both times had to buy the brackets.
Paid 600 bucks to the installer.

It was packaged separately and not inside the AC boxes.
Even had its own brand name. I cannot remember it.

Spitfire: was the bracket inside the compressor carton?
Old 23rd April 2009, 23:40   #432
BANNED

For LG and Onida both in the compressor box. This is in Jan 2008.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:09   #433
BHPian

Yesterday finally the LG service guy turned up to inspect my brand new LG 1.5 AC ( aleady posted here regarding cooling and thermostat problem ). Firstly it was a change to see a neatly dressed (with tie) person attending the unit after the shabby outsourced guys of Reliance Digital who are supposed to be providing support.

The official said that gas is not sufficient in the Unit and he will return on Saturday to fill it up. He mentioned that AC has to cutt off in 12 -13 mts on running once its operating in a cooled room condition. So waiting to see if the gas refill will help me.
Old 24th April 2009, 14:58   #434
BHPian

Guys,

Just trying to match up some of the prices quoted by Next and Reliance Digital respectively in Secunderabad:

NEXT (Installation-Rs. 500 for Window and Rs.1500 for Split; Stabilizer: Rs.2000):

LG-LWA5EW... Window 1.5T: Rs.15,500
Samsung AW18ZKA Window 1.5T: Rs.17,000
Kenstar KT18GN Split 1.5T: Rs. 16,990

Should be able to negotiate and get atleast Rs.500-1000 written off.

RELIANCE DIGITAL

Godrej Window 1.5T (2 star rating): Rs. 19,980 (inclusive of inst. and stab.)
Godrej GSC18FA Split 1.5T (2 star rating): Rs. 23,589 (inclusive of instl. and stab.)

Again, should be able to negotiate further. Reliance has an in-house repair and maintenance team. Don't know whether its good for customers or not.
Old 24th April 2009, 16:21   #435
BHPian

One thing I can tell you about LG. They need more service than other brands. I have a windows unit about 2 years old. It has very narrow fins which get clogged with dirt and the unit requires water washing every 6 months. They did it about 4 times in 2 years. I have Samsung, National, O General and Voltas ACs(window/Split) in our office where there is no such problem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks