Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2009, 21:06   #331
BANNED

@kb100. what in your opinion, would make the list for Premium, Mid Segment and Budget brands?
The premium brands would automatically mean higher EER, compared to the mid segment and budget brands, correct?
Old 10th March 2009, 21:14   #332
Team-BHP Support

Installed 3 of these last weekend at home (1 ton) Welcome to VoltasAC

26k each with installation which took around 7.5 hours for the 3 installations.

These are really silent units, absolute hush inside and outside. Wont realise they are running apart for occasional tak sound from the flaps or when the Turbo mode is kicked in.

Peak consumption/at max cool 17 deg is at 4.2 amps 5***** rating EER.
Old 10th March 2009, 22:46   #333
BHPian

Finally after a lot of debates, went with kb100's idea and bought a Hitachi 1.5 T for my bedroom. Its been a week now and I would say I am impressed with its cooling and no noise.
There was this great experience while installation: When the AC was installed, there was a good amount of noise from the compressor. Noticed that they place a small block of wood under the compressor so that there is no damage to it when transported and the same should be removed while installation which was not done initially. This was quickly noticed and the wooden block removed and the AC is super silent.
Old 10th March 2009, 23:02   #334
BHPian

Purely my personal opinion.

When buying A/C the first and formost thing to look for is whether the compressor and fan motor is made in Japan or not.

First preference should be for a Japanese compressor and fan.
Second preference for Indian made comps and fans.
Last option if your budget just won't allow you to buy either of the above is to go for Chinese. Even in Chinese brands there is 1st, 2nd and 3rd quality.

If you going for chinese made parts might as well go for a pure chinese brand called TCL which should be your last option anyway.

Go to an A/c mechanic and he will fill you in with the details.
Please do not go solely by the EER rating.
Old 10th March 2009, 23:23   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Finally after a lot of debates, went with kb100's idea and bought a Hitachi 1.5 T for my bedroom. Its been a week now and I would say I am impressed with its cooling and no noise.
There was this great experience while installation: When the AC was installed, there was a good amount of noise from the compressor. Noticed that they place a small block of wood under the compressor so that there is no damage to it when transported and the same should be removed while installation which was not done initially. This was quickly noticed and the wooden block removed and the AC is super silent.
Currently am deciding between an Onida split and Hitachi Split - 1.5T. Kindly let me know the model number you have bought. pricing and othe significant details like the one you mentioned about the wood.
And yup COngrats on the purchase
Old 11th March 2009, 10:27   #336
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
When buying A/C the first and formost thing to look for is whether the compressor and fan motor is made in Japan or not.
Yup, unfortunately almost all the latest models are made in china Only good news their mech manufacturing is much better off is what i heard.
Old 13th March 2009, 15:10   #337
Senior - BHPian

F1fan I presume you bought a window ac. what was the cost of installation, the machine and the stabiliser?
regds,
GD
Old 13th March 2009, 16:54   #338
Team-BHP Support

Guys, any idea which of these has better after sales service - Hitachi / Carrier / OGeneral ?

I am looking at a 1.5T window AC. It is for my parents who do not want bone chilling performance. Think I can manage with some lower cost brands ? I am looking at efficiency and a long term machine.
Old 13th March 2009, 17:06   #339
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know,Hitachi has good A.S.S.then comes Carrier.but i'm not sure about O.G.
once if you purchase Hitachi/OG.you can forget A.S.S,inspite if you get a lemon.

For carrier have to look-in for service centers.
Old 14th March 2009, 13:48   #340
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, any idea which of these has better after sales service - Hitachi / Carrier / OGeneral ?I am looking at a 1.5T window AC. It is for my parents who do not want bone chilling performance. Think I can manage with some lower cost brands ? I am looking at efficiency and a long term machine.
IMHO in terms of After sales it would be
1. Hitachi / Carrier
2. O General

The following would be my order of preference in window AC's:

1. Hitachi (around 26K 1.5 T) ***BEE rating. The most energy efficient Ac around

2. Carrier Estrella ( around 21K to 23K 1.5 T) ***BEE rating

3. Voltas Vertis Plus Elite ( around 20K to 22K 1.5 T) ***BEE rating

4. Carrier Gen X2 (around 18 K to 19K 1.5 T) **BEE rating

5. Voltas Vertis Plus ( (around 18.5 K) **BEE rating
Old 14th March 2009, 15:50   #341
Senior - BHPian

We got a mitsubishi 2.5 ton a/c installed a couple of weeks back. Cools really well and extremely silent as well. It has a long airflow mode and you can feel the air even at the other end of the room that is 30 feet away.
Cost of the a/c about 58k. Installation was about 10k (stabiliser, copper pipes, outdoor unit stand etc.)
I wonder why no one suggests daikin. I think they are one of the best a/c manufacturers around.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 14th March 2009 at 15:52.
Old 14th March 2009, 19:31   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I wonder why no one suggests daikin. I think they are one of the best a/c manufacturers around.
Their USP is Package Units. Wish they'd start selling here. So much more efficient than air cooled ACs.
Old 14th March 2009, 22:57   #343
BHPian

O General has no contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Guys, any idea which of these has better after sales service - Hitachi / Carrier / OGeneral ?
I am looking at efficiency and a long term machine.
If its long term trouble free service you are looking for then you have to go for the O general unit and preferably the Window 1.5 tonne unit. Absolutely no contest here.

If its ultra efficiency then there is the Bluestar split unit with 5star rating.
Old 15th March 2009, 10:42   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anupmathur View Post
Their USP is Package Units. Wish they'd start selling here. So much more efficient than air cooled ACs.
What are package units ? Are most of the ACs we use air cooled ? (LG, SAMSUNG, HITACHI, VOLTAS, CARRIER etc.)
Old 15th March 2009, 11:58   #345
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
If its long term trouble free service you are looking for then you have to go for the O general unit and preferably the Window 1.5 tonne unit. Absolutely no contest here.

If its ultra efficiency then there is the Bluestar split unit with 5star rating.
Thanks Doc, it will have to be a window AC only. Will check out the Ogeneral, but bending towards Hitachi/Carrier right now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks