Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2011, 17:17   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Dell laptop service

anyone using an inspiron 15R with a 4570 graphics card better buy complete cover if you havent already. There are a large number of them on our campus, and every one of them has died and stopped booting, and needed to get their mobo replaced. I had complete cover, but some others were not as fortunate
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 17:41   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
anyone using an inspiron 15R with a 4570 graphics card better buy complete cover if you havent already. There are a large number of them on our campus, and every one of them has died and stopped booting, and needed to get their mobo replaced. I had complete cover, but some others were not as fortunate
greenhorn,

You don't need Complete Cover for Motherboard replacement for a part failure issue. Complete Cover covers only accidental damages and all other technical issues would come under the ambit of your Next Business Day Warranty.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:06   #138
Senior - BHPian

i know, NBD warranty should be enough, but the cost for CC is only slightly more, so i thought it was worth it
Old 10th October 2011, 19:50   #139
BHPian

Quote:
This is an AMD gpu right. I faced the same issue with my Dell 1530 XPS, where it just died on me & after calling Dell got to know it was a motherboard failure & yeah as it always happens my warranty had just run out. That's when I got to know that there were major failures happening across (Dell, HP, Apple) of NVIDIA cards which in turn caused the motherboard to fail.

NVIDIA GPU settlement covers Apple, Dell, HP repairs | Electronista

Luckily for me i got to know about this on the net & got my motherboard replaced. I would also advise you to do the same & check if this is happening the world over.
Old 10th October 2011, 21:20   #140
Senior - BHPian

yup i knew about the 8 & 9 series M gpu issues
unfortunately no word out on these radeons.
Btw its the 5470, not the 4570
Old 11th October 2011, 13:17   #141
BHPian

Quote:
yup i knew about the 8 & 9 series M gpu issues
unfortunately no word out on these radeons.
Btw its the 5470, not the 4570
Yeah it's with this incident that I became wary of buying stuff without reading reviews, when i realised that news about the NVIDIA failures were right there on the net & i could have just googled 1530 & got the info.

Since then, anything I buy goes through a complete google analysis & comparison (that's how team-bhp happened) which drives my girlfriend crazy.
She is of the belief that buying anything for a guy should be like how he buys clothes. Walk in & walk out.

My friend is a senior engineer at AMD. Let me just speak to him about the issue. The model no. of your laptop is?
Old 12th October 2011, 07:29   #142
Senior - BHPian

this is the first generation dell inspiron 15R (n5010) with 512MB Radeon 5470. Not really sure this is an AMD issue as the vaios with the same graphics havent had the problem yet
Old 12th October 2011, 10:57   #143
BHPian

Quote:
this is the first generation dell inspiron 15R (n5010) with 512MB Radeon 5470. Not really sure this is an AMD issue as the vaios with the same graphics havent had the problem yet
Oh that's interesting. I thought it was common across machines with the same card like the 1530 issue & this is also conked off just after a year of completion?
Old 12th October 2012, 14:25   #144
Senior - BHPian

I've got a notebook from the Dell XPS Lineup with NBD warranty.

The Hard drive was showing signs of going kaput. Called up Dell and informed them about the same. Within 8 hours a new hard drive reached home. And in the next 16 hours a technician came home and installed it on my lappy. The whole process was complete within 24 hours from the time of call.

Extremely professional and quick!
Old 12th October 2012, 15:00   #145
BHPian

Dell service is excellent, my son had a keyboard issue on his Inspiron, unfortunately the warranty had just expired, they told me to renew the warranty and they would take care of the rest.

Renewed warranty, parts were delivered to my place in 2 days, a new keyboard, a system board and an IO board, the technician arrived the same day and replaced all 3 parts.

The cost of replacing all 3 parts surely would have been more than what the warranty cost us for a year + we get a years coverage again. Great!
Old 3rd July 2019, 22:17   #146
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

Now I am in a bit of a soup, I brought a Dell Inspiron 1557 some months back, the screen was acting up as when the lid was moved or the laptop shook a little, the laptop screen would go off. I complained to their customer care and the guy came and replaced the screen and wire with a new one today, my dad was at home when this was done.

Now when I come home, this problem is solved but the new screen he has put on the laptop has a very yellow tinge to it, all the whites appear very dull and yellow. I use this laptop to edit pictures mostly but now with the yellow tinge, that just won't work.

Are replacement screens not as good as the one's which come with the laptop?
Old 4th July 2019, 20:22   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
screen was acting up as when the lid was moved or the laptop shook a little, the laptop screen would go off.

I think they sometimes recycle the same defective parts (like screens) after some refurbishing.

Appears to me, to start with, you might just have had a lose contact issue in the connector cables. Could have been lost easier to just open up the laptop and ensure the connectors were snug!

Same thing on a dell insipiron had happened to a friends laptop. She got it to me to help resolve. All I did was what I mentioned above. Problem got fixed.

For now, if your laptop is under warranty, you could get another free replacement done through the dell folks.

Alternately, you could buy the part online from the dell store and install it yourself too. I know you can get most things on the US dell stores, have never tried the Indian version.
Old 4th July 2019, 20:52   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
I think they sometimes recycle the same defective parts (like screens) after some refurbishing.

Appears to me, to start with, you might just have had a lose contact issue in the connector cables. Could have been lost easier to just open up the laptop and ensure the connectors were snug!

Same thing on a dell insipiron had happened to a friends laptop. She got it to me to help resolve. All I did was what I mentioned above. Problem got fixed.

For now, if your laptop is under warranty, you could get another free replacement done through the dell folks.

Alternately, you could buy the part online from the dell store and install it yourself too. I know you can get most things on the US dell stores, have never tried the Indian version.
I get your point, the wire was faulty which they replaced with the screen, imagine that, its not even a day but along with the screen which has jaundice, there is a red horizontal line which is passing through the screen of the laptop too since morning.

A call to the customer care again, exchange of photos, some troubleshooting, some stern words and they are sending a replacement screen again with the same technician who will fix it.

I somehow feel the technician who belongs to an agency is changing the original screen in between before he comes to me and putting in a refurbished/duplicate one and then making hay out of the original dell screen that he might have thugged which was meant for me, I might be wrong but the line in between the screen can be a manufacturing defect but how can a jaundiced screen be one?

When I had got a screen changed a year back for my Lenovo k10 note that I had, it also had similar jaundice properties, yellowish tinge with a little higher than normal contrast, that was a duplicate one and this looks like one too, either dell is getting down the substandard route or there is some mischief happening by the guy who is fixing it.
Old 4th July 2019, 21:18   #149
BHPian

Re: Dell laptop service

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miyata View Post
Quote:
Either dell is getting down the substandard route or there is some mischief happening by the guy who is fixing it.
Let me add another perspective. When i was researching before finalizing my Inspiron laptop i realized that certain users were complaining of image retention, back-light bleeding issues with the display while others were completely satisfied. Many users reported that the screen replacement from Dell solved the issue.

I realized that it was about which part vendor had manufactured the specific LCD installed in your system that made the difference. I was able to see a demo unit at the store and took a gamble that they must be using the same vendor for all shipments in India.

So unless it's a very obvious degradation to your original display quality, there is a fair chance it might be just from a different vendor and you might find something else wrong with the incoming replacement as well.

I am again in the market for a laptop and as before, i find similar reports for the unit i am currently interested in as well.
Old 5th July 2019, 22:08   #150
Senior - BHPian

Re: Dell laptop service

I had bought Dell Inspiron 3567 i3 7th Generation in Nov. 2018. After a few months I faced issue of WiFi of Laptop not detecting my Phone's Mobile Hotspot. When I called Customer Care, they guided me checking Hardware from Bios, and few other steps and the problem got solved. Again last month faced same issue. I called Customer Care. But this time they were unable to solve the problem saying "First we need check whether the Ethernet Port can connect to Internet. Then we will check for WiFi."

But I got my Bsnl Broadband disconnected since Dec. 2016 as I got Jio sim card and used the Mobile Hotspot because the Speed of Bsnl Broadband was <= Dialup Modem Speed. No action was taken by Bsnl inspite of complaining multiple times. Their reply would be "If Speed test is giving result of 3-4Mbps, then there is no problem from our side".

Also at this time I reported that the Laptop takes ages to open any Application. They checked through TeamViewer and found the above to be true. If I open MS Word, MS Excel it takes around 1-2 minutes to open the same. For this they advised me to disable to Add-ons as the latter are slowing down the process.

But I would like to mention here that our previous Sony Vaio CR320-E with Core2Duo 2.00 GHz and 2GB Ram was faster than this Dell Dual Core 2.3 Ghz and 4GB Ram.

I don't want to take it Service Center as I am not in a mood of getting the problem worsened by Service Center. (Don't fix if ain't broken.)

Is there any solution for speeding the process of Opening the Application of MS Word and MS Excel.

Also I have kept the Check box of Connect Automatically Ticked for the Mobile Hotpot Connection and Not facing the Connectivity Problem now. (This Solution was not provided by Dell Customer Care but I figured out myself).

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 5th July 2019 at 22:13. Reason: Typo.

Most Viewed