Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2010, 01:35   #106
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
The courier wala did insisted on the damaged HDD, but since i was travelling, he called someone on the phone, and left saying "aap khud bhej dena'. I must say this kind of service is unheard of.
Dell uses DHL for courier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
saying "aap khud bhej dena'.
Their delivery note for warranty replacement clearly mentions that if one doesn't return the damaged part within 10 working days they'd be billed with the current MRP of the product, though the challan mentions a completely different value of the product.

Last edited by gendarmee : 5th October 2010 at 01:44. Reason: spell error
Old 5th October 2010, 01:40   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Dell uses DHL for all they courier.
I got my chargers etc last week through some "Sri Vinayak" or a courier with similar sounding name.

Earlier I have received parts through Blue Dart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Their delivery note for warranty replacement clearly mentions that if one doesn't return the damaged part within 10 working days they'd be billed with the current MRP of the product, though the challan mentions a completely different value of the product.
Yes that is correct they will bill you the full price. It is best to call back and schedule a pick up.
Old 5th October 2010, 17:23   #108
Senior - BHPian

Got a new dell charger with one year warranty for 2100 from nehru place.
Old 6th October 2010, 12:09   #109
BHPian

Dell M1330

My laptop(XPS M1330) is not able to recognise the charger that came with it. I can only get it to detect if I plug it at a certain angle and after then it changes status from Plugged in; Not charging to Plugged in; Charging. Anybody else faced this issue?
I went to Richie street (street well known in Chennai for computer parts) and bought a replacement Dell charger for Rs 1600 but from a different part vendor which conked off due to power surge. Now I need another charger. Would calling Dell be best or is there any shop where I can buy a better charger?
Old 6th October 2010, 12:20   #110
Senior - BHPian

@DWind,

I had the exact same problem and had the chargers(main & travel charger) replaced under the complete care warranty. Call up Dell and they will take you through some basic trouble shooting to find out if the problem is with the charger or the socket in the laptop or in the bios etc. Once diagnosed it is a breeze, in my case the chargers/ power cables had gone bad.
Old 6th October 2010, 18:56   #111
BHPian

Thanks Khoj! Will give it a try this weekend.
I also have a few more issues. Mine has nVidia Graphics card which is heating up the laptop real bad. A search on the internet found that this to be common and required Dell to change the MB provided it is under warranty. Mine was bought in US but I came to know about this issue recently when the charger went kaput. I can live it, but I am worried if it causes any other damage. My caps, left shift and tab keys have stopped working now. Need to find if both are related.
Old 7th October 2010, 00:14   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Hi Alex,
It is nice of your suggestion. But it too did not work. I called on Sunday and complained to toll free and was assured some one would call me on Monday 9 Am.It is Tuesday 00 hours it did not work. It seems we need some one there in dell to follow up.Anyhow let me test my luck tillThursday.
You can't call them on Sunday.
Old 7th October 2010, 03:17   #113
Senior - BHPian

@DWind,
Believe it or not but I have gone through the overheating problem too. In my case the trackpad would become so hot that it was impossible to touch it. This despite my using a Belkin cool pad with an independent cooling fan of its own. They replaced the following
1. Cooling fan
2. Heat Sink and
3. A stick on heat shield that is stuck on the CPU.

It still heats up but not like it used to. BTW my keyboard too was replaced as a couple of keys on the original one broke.

As far as I know it does not matter where you buy the laptop from as long as it has a valid cover. A relative bought his in Korea or S'pore and his machine's mother board blew once he was back in Delhi. It was replaced under Dell's International complete cover warranty. Trust if you have similar cover you are good to go.
Old 7th October 2010, 16:49   #114
BHPian

I never owned a Dell laptop. Good to see they have great customer support. But why is that there are so many problems in first two years? Or is it that those whose laptop is working fine are not writing here?

Earlier I had used a Toshiba laptop. It was great and sturdy. Never had any problem. Even a Wipro laptop that I am using now is working perfectly without any problem from last three years.
Old 7th October 2010, 18:00   #115
BHPian

Never knew this thread. My Dell Inspiron Laptop bought 3 years back stopped working a couple of days back with booting stopped midway. The Screen is full of lines like you see in the old movies.

After a couple of days of wrangling with Dell Support finally a technician came to check it and found out the LCD screen is kaput. Finally, after a lengthy discussion where the support guy was talking in a very patronizing manner and then said I have to take a Warranty called the Break-Fix for the replacement costing nearly 17k. He said he will send a quote right away and I am still waiting. They are very slow and damn, service is expensive. Charged 1400 just for a visit by the technician.

And not to talk about my first talk with a support person. Oh man, I have not seen a dumber person, who was repeating literally like a robot her sentences when I asked her for a clarification.
Old 21st October 2010, 15:03   #116
Senior - BHPian

My laptop while on the startup starts to flicker. The screen goes up and down very fast and then stablizes. What might be the issue?
Old 21st October 2010, 15:49   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRRaj View Post
Never knew this thread. My Dell Inspiron Laptop bought 3 years back stopped working a couple of days back with booting stopped midway. The Screen is full of lines like you see in the old movies.
Finally Fixed last week. The problem was with the Graphics Card and not the LCD. Unnecessarily took a 15K warranty due to a wrong diagnosis.
Old 26th March 2011, 15:51   #118
BHPian

Re: Dell Inspiron 6000.

My dell inspiron 6000 is getting frozen say after 5 - 6 hours of inactivity. Once when i rebooted, it came up with the message that it is getting warm and gave the error code as #M1004. As i am out of warranty, please suggest me any decent service shop from south of bangalore.

Thanks.

Last edited by JMaruru : 26th March 2011 at 15:52.
Old 27th March 2011, 08:58   #119
Senior - BHPian

re: Dell laptop service

Fist thing to do in such cases is to vacuum all heat vents. Vents /Fans might be jammed or running slow and that would build up heat.
Old 25th July 2011, 18:53   #120
BHPian

re: Dell laptop service

Folks, need your help/insights on this:
Mine is Dell Inspiron 1525, over 42 months old. Now, after these many days of hard usage, the right hinge has given up and now I'm not able to close the lid properly. When I try to close it, the top-cover is going out of place and I fear that if I go any further it might damage the display.

I inquired at couple of Dell authorised service centers (once in IRR & the other in JC road) in Bangalore, both unsatisfactory.
The IRR guy told me that he'd replace the top-cover, bezel, hinges and God-knows-what connecting rod + one year warranty for the full system (not just for the parts) for a heart-breaking 9500/-
The JC road guy was no better: top-cover, hinges, bezel & connecting rod + labor for 6500/- and one month warranty

I'm confused now. Are the parts are really that costlier or these guys trying to make a fool out of me? Is there any other place (either in Chennai/Bangalore) where I can go? Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks