Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2011, 22:16   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: Dell laptop service

Don't know about down south. But in delhi this can be fixed very cheaply.

Please note that Dell's paid service is very expensive.
Old 26th September 2011, 00:09   #122
Senior - BHPian

Hi HD Nivera,
The dell laptop services are really expensive if you don't have warranty or extended warranty. Another thing the private service persons are really changing the genuine spares are not god only knows. Even Dell itself is giving refurbished parts. The advantage with dell service is that they will change as many times as you get repair of the same spare. My graphic card was changed twice with in 6 months.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:14   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navan49 View Post
Another thing the private service persons are really changing the genuine spares are not god only knows. Even Dell itself is giving refurbished parts.
I haven't heard of Dell using refurbished parts to fix customers' computers and if they did it would be very unethical of them to do so without informing the customers.

Most computer components are replaced rather than repaired so you can get the computer fixed in your presence (shouldn't be a matter of more than 15 minutes).

In either case, you can also get a BHPian to help out; there are plenty of IT folk here on the forums.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:35   #124
Senior - BHPian

Yes I am sure they will use the refurbished spares. May be the new spare for the new one. But for 3 rd or 4th year warranty ones they themselves will not get the spares coz the are out dated and out of Market.
Old 29th September 2011, 21:58   #125
Senior - BHPian

Dell do uses refurbished parts for first year warranty too. Its clearly marked on the antistatic bag and carton that come in.
Old 1st October 2011, 00:20   #126
Senior - BHPian

Where we buy the laptop doen't matter as for as the service tag number accepts in the dell support site they will service with in warranty or extended warranty period. It is true that the heat sink gives trouble. nvidia is giving problem in all the laptops. When nVidia gives trouble it needs the MB change most of the tie. If it is more than 3 years old better leave it if it is out of warranty. To service it one should extend the warranty which will cost around 16k for 2 years. In addition to that you have to pay Rs 750 for the inspection.So better go for the new one.
Old 1st October 2011, 02:23   #127
BHPian

Quote:
To service it one should extend the warranty which will cost around 16k for 2 years.
For an Acer bought last week, the extended warranty (in addition to the included 1 year warranty) was Rs.1,200/- for 1 year and Rs.1,900/- for 2 years. I believe the extended warranty does not cover batteries though. Batteries come for about Rs.2,500/- though there are different kinds you can get - the 9 cell is often sold as an extended life battery while the 6 cell battery is standard but you can find the 3 cell Chinese replacement batteries.

When using the Chinese batteries, I'd check for any overheating. Even dropping a battery hard enough to cause a dent in the battery casing can cause overheating and can melt the battery and its holder (not a pretty sight, trust me).
Old 1st October 2011, 22:17   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where we buy the laptop doen't matter as for as the service tag number accepts in the dell support site they will service with in warranty or extended warranty period. It is true that the heat sink gives trouble. nvidia is giving problem in all the laptops. When nVidia gives trouble it needs the MB change most of the tie. If it is more than 3 years old better leave it if it is out of warranty. To service it one should extend the warranty which will cost around 16k for 2 years. In addition to that you have to pay Rs 750 for the inspection.So better go for the new one.
As a professional my advice would be to buy extended warranty at the time of purchase.

If you extend the warranty when its expiring, it will cost a bomb. In your own word 16k. which is not advisable. Sensible thing to do is to sell the lappy for 12-15k and add that 16k and get a current generation lappy.
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:36   #129
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
If you extend the warranty when its expiring, it will cost a bomb.
Sirji, You are already giving me heartattacks.

I have the hardware warranty on my lappy, which will expire in another 6 months. During last 1 1/2 year of usage, I had to change the LCD screen under warranty.

Now planning to go for extended warranty. Looking at your statement, I am wondering if it would cost me so much. Believe I paid around 2 - 3 k for 2 year hardware warranty.

Can you kindly confirm me if it gonna cost me a bomb
Old 3rd October 2011, 09:42   #130
Team-BHP Support

Well, DELL does use refurbished stuff. For example, I had bought a DELL projector in 2007. It went bad in 2009, instead of repairing, they replaced it with a different refurbished model. That one went bad this year, they again replaced it with newer refurbished model. Projectors come with 5 year warranty, so I got one more year of safety.
Old 3rd October 2011, 16:00   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Sirji, You are already giving me heartattacks.

I have the hardware warranty on my lappy, which will expire in another 6 months. During last 1 1/2 year of usage, I had to change the LCD screen under warranty.

Now planning to go for extended warranty. Looking at your statement, I am wondering if it would cost me so much. Believe I paid around 2 - 3 k for 2 year hardware warranty.

Can you kindly confirm me if it gonna cost me a bomb
they asked me 12400 for xps after the full cover 3 years was going to expire. So you can Imagine. Personally i declined. As selling the xps will be sensible after the expiry.
SirAlec is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:28   #132
Senior - BHPian

Sir Alec,
I bought the Latitude in 2007 and was about to expire I asked for a quote for another two years the quote was 16K. I got the bomb and decided to leave for the luck till when it works. Any how there is a plan for Macbookpro. So let it serve for a year or two and the Optiplex of 2005(I extended for 2 years for around 12K) will go out of warranty in 2012 then I will give the latitude to give to my grannys to break or play.
Old 3rd October 2011, 21:43   #133
Senior - BHPian

Sir alec and Lhambure,
Please call the toll free number of Dell support and keep your service tag number ready. Give the service tag number ask for a quote and get it. It is up to us to extend or not.At least better to get the knowledge.
navan49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2011, 12:09   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
they asked me 12400 for xps after the full cover 3 years was going to expire.
Dell wanted to charge you while you were in the warranty period? Perhaps you should ask if you can talk to a manager and clarify that your laptop is still covered by the warranty.

Quote:
I asked for a quote for another two years the quote was 16K. I got the bomb and decided to leave for the luck till when it works. Any how there is a plan for Macbookpro. So let it serve for a year or two and the Optiplex of 2005(I extended for 2 years for around 12K)
Acer charges Rs1.2k for a 1-year extended warranty and Rs1.8k for a 2-year extended warranty so I wonder why they charge you so much unless Dell was offering you on-site services as well. Instead of spending so much on warranty, I would rather get a Lenovo Thinkpad - those last forever and come with a 1-year warranty but unless you drop it, you'll have half a decade or longer of operation (that's when it's obsolete and you want another one). I haven't been able to use an HP or Compaq for longer than 2 years.
Old 10th October 2011, 15:19   #135
BANNED

Toshiba are 4458 (1 yr carry in) and 7005 (2 yr carry in). For international the figures are 8215 and 12099.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks