Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2009, 14:06   #16
Team-BHP Support

For all of you guys with Dell comps, if you need a part for your comp try to first locate a friend/acquaintance whatsoever who works in Dell. Its worth the effort. The employees get the same parts/components at huuuuge discounts.

Recently one of my colleagues Dell lappy had a conked out battery as it won't charge any more. The original replacement was coming in for almost 9000 bucks with b&w. The gray market stuff was costing him around 6-6.5 thou. The non-Dell approved batteries are also available in the gray market which apparently "chaltaa hai". These cost around 4.5k. Ultimately he procured the battery through another colleague's spouse who works for Dell. It costed him only 3.5k!!! Yes... that much of a difference. What was originally quoted at 9k for the customer came in only for 3.5k by the employee route.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:08   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Thanks Ishan Ji.
My Battery aint charging and also when i type, automatically the cursor goes off location.
The cursor going off location is common problem with laptops now days. The touch pad location is such that when you are typing the cursor moves.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

No it was some issue with the driver.
Solved within 10 mins

As for the battery, the adapter is faulty and i have received a call from dell that i will get my new adapter by tomorrow.
Hats off to Dell./
Old 5th January 2009, 15:21   #19
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
The cursor going off location is common problem with laptops now days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
No it was some issue with the driver.
Solved within 10 mins
What is the solution? It will help abhibh & everybody.
Old 5th January 2009, 15:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Go to > support.ap.dell.com
Then there will be drivers
Under Drivers, enter service tag no. and download the input driver for your touchpad.
Run the exe file, it will be extracted to c:/dell/drivers by default.
Run the setup and restart the laptop.

EDIT : If you are not able to download that particular file ( for XPS 1330 - as that download is not working currently.) PM ME i can send the direct link to that file.

Last edited by abhinav.gupta88 : 5th January 2009 at 15:36.
Old 5th January 2009, 16:38   #21
BHPian

Very nice to hear about Dell's service. More so as i'm planning on a Studio 14/15 in a couple of months.
Old 5th January 2009, 17:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Abhinav. I have downloaded and installed the drivers for my laptop now. I will report back in couple of days how it all goes.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:17   #23
BHPian

The only problem with the Dell laptops were their image of a business laptop & being bulky & ugly. But with the new range coming out these days, Dell may as well be the most exotic Laptop vendor after Apple.

Apart from that, this laptop part replacement policy applies even to the ones sold in chor bazaar as they only ask for the service tag (know it from a story heard through friends). They surely rock and deserve to be treated as the best wintel laptop vendors.
Old 5th January 2009, 18:56   #24
BHPian

I can personally vouch for Dells service in India. Terming it as outstanding is not an exaggeration. I am also a fan of their user-friendly build-your-own computer website. Great pricing.

IBMs service, on the other hand, has deteriorated to the bottom of the pit. My entire office uses IBM / Lenovo and things got so bad (in time & quality) that we finally had to opt for a third party vendor. At OUR cost, even though many computers were still under a 3 year company warranty. Offices simply cannot afford any downtime!
Old 5th January 2009, 19:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

Bit Does anyone has any info where to get a Sony Vaio battery in discounted price?
At Sony they are quoting it for 10k which to me is tad expensive. Any info guys?
My bad luck when i got the Vaio, Dell was not so easily available here

Last edited by harry10 : 5th January 2009 at 19:13.
Old 5th January 2009, 19:55   #26
Senior - BHPian

I've had a good experience with Dell phone support. My brother-in-law's laptop packed up. The OS got corrupted because of viruses. He was in Canada and I was visiting. The machine did not come with an OS CD with which we could format the drive and reload the software. So we called phone support and the call came to Gurgaon. The tech there walked us through diagnostics and how to reload the OS - a copy is stored on the machine. Within the hour we had the laptop up and running again. The machine was out of warranty but they took no charge.
Old 5th January 2009, 22:47   #27
Senior - BHPian

Dell Toll free (its for XPS i guess)

1800-425-2066
Old 5th January 2009, 22:49   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Bit Does anyone has any info where to get a Sony Vaio battery in discounted price?
At Sony they are quoting it for 10k which to me is tad expensive. Any info guys?
My bad luck when i got the Vaio, Dell was not so easily available here
Or call neeraj sharma @ 9312653141, he owns a small laptop repair centre in nehru place. A reliable guy. you can give my reference (Kenden, from cyberdyne systems)
I got original lenovo one for a friend @ 4900 with a year warranty. Lenovo showroom was charging 6900/-.

Last edited by SirAlec : 5th January 2009 at 22:51.
Old 5th January 2009, 23:01   #29

Does dell provide free service and part replacement under warranty for laptops bought in USA and canada here in india?
Old 6th January 2009, 00:09   #30
Senior - BHPian

Depends on whether the laptops have international warranty or not.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks