Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2009, 21:47   #31
BHPian

Hi,
I was suffering from the same problem, I have WM 6.1 but I did what exactly mentioned on the gmail and it worked !!
I always use IMAP since it is superior over POP3.
Anyways now the mail is working like a charm !!!
Old 24th February 2011, 00:35   #32
Senior - BHPian

windows mobile: tips, tricks and reviews.

I didn't find a thread for windows mobile, Mods please merge if you find one. To start with, here is my list of programs from my blog.

Quote:
1. I am a big fan of batch scripts. May be an effect of working in mainframes for a long time. So when I found out about mortscript, I was really happy. wrote scripts to run programs, load my encrypted volume, create folders with timestamps in their names, back up files, unmount, and many more.

2. I like my phone secure. the problem with that is even for small things, I have to unlock the phone. That's when I found out key remapper. now I can map keys for double click, single click, long press, make them specific to various screens, but to top it all, i can execute them even with phone locked.

3. I found notes2self, which is a one touch on and off recorder. I take a lot of voice notes, much easier than carrying a notebook and a pen.

4. I found VJp0of and mediaplayer conroller from vijay555.com actually I am using many tools from this site.
a. dialer to dial a number with one touch, if I use inbuilt dialer, it needs a confirmation before dialling. this one doesn't.
b. media player controller. I have moved on to morscripts for controlling music player, but this is a good alternative.
c. redialer and sddialer to control using my headset buttons. now I can control my music using my headset alone. (before anybody points out, yes, I still never listen to music. I meant my audiobooks)

5. I briefly flirted with S2U2 for locking. nice app, but a little weak in security. actions like headset click can open the phone to an unathorized user.

6. freeotfe for all my encryption needs. my data is always encrypted and secured.

7. S2P- my primary music player, since it allows control via mortscript. I am sure mortplayer does that too, I just can't find the codes.

Old 25th February 2011, 16:17   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: windows mobile: tips, tricks and reviews.

Samsung OmniaPro B7320 - Windows Mobile 6.1

i have the following applications running successfully - Google Maps, FB (though it is a bakwaas app), iNigma 2D Barcode Reader.

Installed netframework 3.5 to run the GPS Speedo - somehow the application crashes (though the netframework has made the Google Maps GPS seeking faster)
Old 25th February 2011, 19:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: windows mobile: tips, tricks and reviews.

not sure if WM 6.5 makes a difference, but my FB app works fine (the one made by microsoft, from marketplace). Also, try bing. Google maps works better in terms of various options, but bing gives you turn by turn directions. Not sure abut India roads though.
Old 9th March 2011, 20:03   #35
Senior - BHPian

re: The Windows Phone Thread

Mortplayer allows sending message to the player thru scripts/.lnk files. assign them to key strokes using key remapper posted earlier and you have a full fledged music player. I have set it to work as a music player wth all the keys when locked. I can post the mortscript files is anybody needs them.

xda-developers - View Single Post - MortPlayer
Old 15th March 2011, 18:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

This might help somebody (you need to install mortscript first). I needed to sync my mails only when i turn on the phone. So I wrote this script. If it's between 10 at night and 8 in the morning, it asks me if mails need to be synced. Now it means if I use my phone once a day, mails will be synced only once a day. I also hated the fact that off peak hours were available only for exchange accounts (in HTC touch pro at least), This script takes care of all those issues.

It could probably be simpler but I didn't have much time. It's attached ot my power button, so everytime I open my phone, it runs. Oh, and it doesn't sync if there has been a sync in last 2 hrs. Hence the use of .ini file.

Quote:
CurrentTime = FormatTime( "ymdHis", TimeStamp() )
CurrentHour = FormatTime( "H", TimeStamp() )
Filetime = Readfile("sync-mails.ini",12)
diff = CurrentTime - Filetime
if (diff > "20000")
if ((CurrentHour < "22") && (CurrentHour > "08"))
eMailAccount1 = "Gmail"
Run( "\windows\tmail.exe", "-Service """ & eMailAccount1 & """ -Sync" )
eMailAccount1 = "xxx.edu"
eMailAccount1 = "yyy.com"
WriteFile("sync-mails.ini",CurrentTime)
Message("Mails synced")
Else
If ( Question( "Sync mails?" ) = YES )
eMailAccount1 = "Gmail"
eMailAccount1 = "xxx.edu"
eMailAccount1 = "yyy.com"
WriteFile("sync-mails.ini",CurrentTime)
Message("Mails synced")
Endif
Endif
Endif
Old 16th March 2011, 17:12   #37
Senior - BHPian

Vivek - i have the FB app downloaded from microsoft - it doesn't refresh automatically and sometimes it doesn't refresh when i manually try to refresh the updates, feeds, etc. i have uninstalled the application when i switched to 2GB flash.

Currently, running only Google Map - which is working flawlessly with the .net framework.

Also - got rid of the Barcode scanner (it was a 2D scanner and most items, lets say a ciggy pack has a 1D code), somehow the "open source scanner from google?? didn't work properly. I also got rid of the GPS Speedo (by gopinathan at tbhp / xda) - none of the versions worked in my phone.

The Mobile Outlook email client / Webmail client are working great - i love it.

i was looking for a Gtalk / IM client for my phone (other than Windows Live / windows IM). i googled, but when i loaded the cab files, "a security permission" error popped up.

Last edited by planet_rocker : 16th March 2011 at 17:13.
Old 16th March 2011, 17:26   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i was looking for a Gtalk / IM client for my phone (other than Windows Live / windows IM). i googled, but when i loaded the cab files, "a security permission" error popped up.
If you are looking for IM client. Look for talkonaut or mig33.
Both perform well.

Cheers
AS
Old 16th March 2011, 18:44   #39
Senior - BHPian

I use palringo that was cooked in the ROM I installed, works great for all servers I need (MSN, Yahoo, Gmail, Facebook).

I don't keep my facebook app always open so I don't know. but I start it only when i need it and it refreshes perfectly.

At least in US, Bing maps works great since it has full fledged navigation. Google map used to be static but now I see it moves with my movement which is good for following the map.

I also have a GPS unit in car, so never explored much in GPS apps.

for barcodes I have mobiletag. But don't use it much. Regular google/amazon search works much better for price search.

EDIT: I have to say, MS marketplace sucks. There are thousands of better apps if you search outside.

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 16th March 2011 at 18:46.
Old 16th March 2011, 19:01   #40
BHPian

Check Trillian, it is available for Windows Phone.
trillian.im

Cheers,
Rajesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetsng View Post
If you are looking for IM client. Look for talkonaut or mig33.
Both perform well.

Cheers
AS
Old 16th March 2011, 19:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

downloaded Palringo - it is a big file of about 3MB+ - it looks promising. I have sent a ch_at message to a friend - waiting for his reply

Thanks guys
Old 18th August 2011, 16:13   #42
Senior - BHPian

have a bad habit of sticking to out-dated stuff - still using the WM 6.1 B7320.

Recently got addicted to footprintfeed on FB and then it hit me - Foursquare.

Foursquare for WM requires a separate application - till date winmosquare was being used (thanks praful @ team-bhp for the information) - downloaded and ready to use, when Praful again informed within a span of 30 minutes that winmosquare is dead and that a new beta version is 'IN' - welcome to MySquare app - small bugs are there but while going through XDA, i came to know that most of it are being / have been fixed.

a small catch: MySquare works on WM with touchscreen (needless to say, it will not work on my out-dated B7320)

You can download the MySquare Application from: MySquare :: Rising Mobility

Read more about the developments here: [APP] MySquare : A foursquare client - Page 37 - xda-developers

Thanks a tonne @ Praful (well there is no reason for me to smile - since this is not working in my phone - Grrrr!)

Last edited by planet_rocker : 18th August 2011 at 16:14.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:02   #43
Team-BHP Support

Guess most of the phones running on WP would now be on Mango.

Any tips/suggestions?

I have been using it for a month or so now and it is so much better than WP7 :

For IMs - I use IM+; it works well for GTalk. For Skype integration, you've to pay.

Luckily, Whatsapp is available for Mango.

Flip-side : Turn-by-turn navigation still not available in India. I had my Live account registered in US earlier, Mango has "Local Scout" which pretty much does everything from finding locations to turn-by-turn navigation. Unfortunately, it is not available in India.

Multi-tasking is a bliss!

Overall, barring a few glitches (Bluetooth works only with the dongle etc.), I feel WP is just as good as Android.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th November 2011, 15:46   #44
Senior - BHPian

Which phone are you using? Did you switch from WM6.5 to Mango?
Old 17th November 2011, 15:48   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
Which phone are you using? Did you switch from WM6.5 to Mango?
I've an HTC HD7; it came with WP7. I updated it to Mango about 2 months back.

Btw, I read that your phone runs on WM6. Is it WM6 or Windows Phone 6? Can't you update it to Mango?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 17th November 2011 at 15:52.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks