Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 18:41   #166
Senior - BHPian

re: The Windows Phone Thread

^^^Ah... thanks. Not very reassuring. Can only hope that the situation improves... :(
Old 14th March 2012, 18:50   #167
Senior - BHPian

Yeah well you have to remember that is a very new OS with huge changes all around. So it will take time for everything to fall in place. But luckily I have Nokia Drive and Maps working on my HD2.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:07   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
^^^Thanks mate, but was reffering to actual user experience. Anyway, seems Omnia is the way to go, except for the slightly smaller screen, which may be a good thing actually (for portability).

One last question - Maps and Navigation is very important. How good would it be in the Omnia, in Indian cities? And how would it compare with the experience in an Android? What about offline maps/navigations? I can see that Google Maps has a WP version, with reduced support...
Please check the below video, Omnia W ported with Nokia Maps

Old 14th March 2012, 19:24   #169
BHPian

Ok so it has been about 10 days since I moved from a Droid to a WP and am loving my Omnia W. Since it was a gift I did not really research before buying.

So to go back to to the phone and check the basics.

Signal - Strong no sudden drops.
Size - Light enough and 3.7 screen is perfect not too large not very small that makes browsing impossible.
Connectivity - Put in my Voda sim and was on. Signed in to my Google account and all my contacts were there. Integrated people screen makes reviewing social updates an easy task.
Screen - The best part , for the price this is the best screen and I would buy it again for the screen at this price point.
UI - Windows Metro, well needs getting used to but once there it is nice to use. Very smooth, may be not that intuitive as my droid.
WP Marketplace - still developing but major apps are in place, need the t-bhp app.

Will I go back to my Droid - No but will retain it for the open source bug and CM nightlies
Old 14th March 2012, 19:27   #170
Senior - BHPian

Thanks all! As for Nokia Maps, I don't think they will cut it here. Google Maps were way better when I last looked. N Drive on my P500 was also very useful. But I guess thats not an option on WP. I just hope they at least get cached when using Wifi. That will get the job done most times... until things get better (hopefully).

Last edited by Raccoon : 14th March 2012 at 19:40.
Old 16th March 2012, 12:53   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritayan View Post
Ok so it has been about 10 days since I moved from a Droid to a WP and am loving my Omnia W. Since it was a gift I did not really research before buying.

Size - Light enough and 3.7 screen is perfect not too large not very small that makes browsing impossible.
Connectivity - Put in my Voda sim and was on. Signed in to my Google account and all my contacts were there. Integrated people screen makes reviewing social updates an easy task.
Screen - The best part , for the price this is the best screen and I would buy it again for the screen at this price point.
UI - Windows Metro, well needs getting used to but once there it is nice to use. Very smooth, may be not that intuitive as my droid.
WP Marketplace - still developing but major apps are in place, need the t-bhp app.

Will I go back to my Droid - No but will retain it for the open source bug and CM nightlies
Congrats on a good gift, I have been using this mobile for sometime now and its quite good specially the screen is too good. I have put a matte finish screen protector so visibility under the sun has also improved.

Only problem being faced is replying to sms with 3G turned on, which is throwing up errors. Called up Samsung for the same and this is the reply I got.

Quote:
Sir, you will need to turn off 3G when replying to sms as message reply goes in 2G mode
Old 16th March 2012, 16:11   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Only problem being faced is replying to sms with 3G turned on, which is throwing up errors. Called up Samsung for the same and this is the reply I got.
Superb reply. The kind that can really make your day.

Is it true that USSD menus cannot be accessed from WP phones?

If yes, this is atrocious! A smartphone that can't even do what sub 1k monochrome handset can do! Is MS nuts?

It means I have to stove the idea of buying a WP phone as I'd not be able to access stuff or even activate packs in Docomo.

Last edited by Raccoon : 16th March 2012 at 16:25.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:23   #173
BHPian

I am not sure on the SMS stuff as i am on 2G with VODA. Let me pop in a demo 3G chip and check.

motomaverick: where did you get the screen protector and what did it cost.
Old 16th March 2012, 16:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it true that USSD menus cannot be accessed from WP phones?

If yes, this is atrocious! A smartphone that can't even do what sub 1k monochrome handset can do! Is MS nuts?

It means I have to stove the idea of buying a WP phone as I'd not be able to access stuff or even activate packs in Docomo.
Yeah you cannot access files stored on the memory card. Even bluetooth file transfer is not there right but I think its expected in the next Tango update.

Quote:
I am not sure on the SMS stuff as i am on 2G with VODA. Let me pop in a demo 3G chip and check.

motomaverick: where did you get the screen protector and what did it cost.
The screen protector i got it from a mobile store called Sangeetha Mobiles here in Bangalore, but it should be available at any mobile store. Though this Omnia W has Corning Gorilla Glass so its not really required, i put it to get that matte view of the screen rather than glossy.

Do check about the sms and let me know, I am at a dead end now on what to do, new messages go, even replies go if you send them after 2 mins of a inbound sms.
Old 16th March 2012, 17:13   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Yeah you cannot access files stored on the memory card. Even bluetooth file transfer is not there right but I think its expected in the next Tango update.
Any idea if they plan to address the USSD issue in Tango?
Old 16th March 2012, 19:29   #176
BHPian

Quote:

nice . How is your battery life? Mine was doing alright for a few days and now again it is back down to being unacceptable. I am barely getting 24 hours of the battery with light to moderate use. I really think my battery is defective :(.
Old 16th March 2012, 23:05   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
nice . How is your battery life? Mine was doing alright for a few days and now again it is back down to being unacceptable. I am barely getting 24 hours of the battery with light to moderate use. I really think my battery is defective :(.
well I get between 36 to 48 hrs with 30 mins of calls data always on and mail & browser for an hrs plus. Seems much better than my droid. Yes Bluetooth always on as well.
Old 17th March 2012, 07:29   #178
BHPian

Quote:
well I get between 36 to 48 hrs with 30 mins of calls data always on and mail & browser for an hrs plus. Seems much better than my droid. Yes Bluetooth always on as well.
right now im not getting anywhere close to that. Initially i did, but lately it has really dropped down. I did a couple of hard resets, it improved after that, but now its back down again. I might need to get a new battery. My dad is always on too (3G). My bluetooth is off.
Old 17th March 2012, 08:18   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea if they plan to address the USSD issue in Tango?
I guess you are talking bout accessing SD using PC or other ways! I have stopped doing it since I started using WP7. Never missed that feature! I guess its better that way for performance of the OS since little you can play with the OS/settings that way. But I agree, there should be a feature since other OS do provide it and peopel have some practical use of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
right now im not getting anywhere close to that. Initially i did, but lately it has really dropped down. I did a couple of hard resets, it improved after that, but now its back down again. I might need to get a new battery. My dad is always on too (3G). My bluetooth is off.
I'm getting ~48 hours from my phone with about 1 hr or less of avg talking time and 1 hour of using phone for browsing/apps etc, I have two exchange and one live account where my Exchange account set to 'as item arrives'. Works well for me. Love the new OS, better than the 6.5 for sure.
Old 17th March 2012, 16:09   #180
BHPian

Just came across a review regarding Omnia W on flipkart, which posted as it is

"If u are finding problem in transfering file using zune den No need of using zune.
U can use the phone as usb drive without zune by doin following steps:
1.Open Windows Registry Editor by typing regedit in your start menu
2.Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB** 3.Perform a search for ZuneDriver
1.The search should yield a result similar to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetEnumUSB*V ID_045E&PID_04EC&MI_006&27ffd631&am*p;0&0000Device ParametersWUDF
4.Click up one level to the Device Parameters key
5.Change ShowInShell from 0 to 1
6.Change PortableDeviceNameSpaceExcludeFromShell from 1 to 0
7.Change EnableLegacySupport from 0 to 1
8.Change EnableDefaultAutoPlaySupport

You can now plug your Samsung Omnia 7 into your Windows PC using the supplied USB cable and it will be recognized as a USB drive and then u can transfer files without zune"

Reviews: Samsung Omnia W I8350 Review: Mobiles | Flipkart.com

I do not own a Windows phone, but have my sight at Omnia W.
Can anyone confirm if it works ?

Most Viewed