Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:40   #91
Team-BHP Support

re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Try re-installing the latest version from Marketplace. By the way why do you need the Facebook app? WP7 already has almost everything built in. I used the app only once but I found the OS can do everrything that the app can and so I uninstalled it.
I'd just kept it to check/send messages through facebook. Will check if re-installing helps, else will remove it.

Btw, heard Skype is gonna be out as an app for Mango by month-end. Will be integrated in WP8 that comes out by end-2012/2013.
Old 23rd February 2012, 15:46   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I'd just kept it to check/send messages through facebook. Will check if re-installing helps, else will remove it.

Btw, heard Skype is gonna be out as an app for Mango by month-end. Will be integrated in WP8 that comes out by end-2012/2013.
If somebody sends you a message on FB, then it will po up in your messaging hub and you can send FB messages right from your contacts.

Yes Skype is going to be very tightly integrated into the OS like FB and other stuff is right now. The next OS update is currently codenamed Apollo.

Edit: Some new features of Windows Phone Apollo

Skype integrated into the OS
NFC support built in
Multi-core processor support
4 different screen resolutions
Data usage monitoring using a built in App called DataSmart
IE 10 to get server side compression of data resulting in less data usage
Full support for Bit locker encryption
Native code support enabling App to App communication

Last edited by vikram_d : 23rd February 2012 at 15:54.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:04   #93
Team-BHP Support

Sounds good!

Btw, is there an app similar to Swype that's there for Android. With it, you can roll over your finger from one key to another, without lifting it, to enter a word.

Eg. roll over h-a-r-d to enter hard.
Old 23rd February 2012, 16:58   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sounds good!

Btw, is there an app similar to Swype that's there for Android. With it, you can roll over your finger from one key to another, without lifting it, to enter a word.

Eg. roll over h-a-r-d to enter hard.
No third party keyboards as of now as Microsot is not allowing the system keyboard to be replaced. Also there are no API's for the keyboard as of now and I don't think MS will make them.

There was something called Slyder though, but I have never tried it.

Last edited by vikram_d : 23rd February 2012 at 17:01.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:09   #95
BHPian

Quote:
All those who have the Facebook app on their Mango-device, did you have it updated to the recent version?

I find the new version of the app extremely slow; it takes forever to open the Notifications/Messages.
The newer version has new security features and groups added, maybe this is the reason its gotten bit heavy and slow.

Yesterday there was another new update, no big changes except for some security features.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:11   #96
Team-BHP Support

Do we have a Talking Tom for Windows phones. My Asus P527 runs on Windows 6.1.
Old 23rd February 2012, 17:30   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Do we have a Talking Tom for Windows phones. My Asus P527 runs on Windows 6.1.
If you mean Talking Tom for Windows Mobile 6.1, then you can try the link attached

Talking Tom on Windows Mobile? - Page 2 - xda-developers
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2012, 16:13   #98
BHPian

Guys,

Need to buy a phone in the range of 15 K. Did like the Lumia 710 full white and also have gone through this thread but, I am not able to inspire any confidence in the phone.

A few of my friends who have used the phone and some who haven't keep telling me that there are multiple issues with phone. Can anyone highlight the issues if faced.

Mostly I have been told about the Mango OS being the culprit rather than the hardware. Issues already known through them are call disconnect issue, phone hanging on heavy internet browsing, re-starting for no reason, etc.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciable.

Cheers
Old 24th February 2012, 16:43   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja
Guys,

Need to buy a phone in the range of 15 K. Did like the Lumia 710 full white and also have gone through this thread but, I am not able to inspire any confidence in the phone.

A few of my friends who have used the phone and some who haven't keep telling me that there are multiple issues with phone. Can anyone highlight the issues if faced.

Mostly I have been told about the Mango OS being the culprit rather than the hardware. Issues already known through them are call disconnect issue, phone hanging on heavy internet browsing, re-starting for no reason, etc.

Cheers
Instead of Nokia 710 you can go for Samsung WM for the same price. Better in almost every respect.

I have the HTC Radar and can tell you that windows mobile is quite good. The UI is very fluid and intuitive and It's more stable than my Android. There are some shortcomings (as with every OS out there) but if you can live with them then nothing like WM. The battery performance is quite exceptional amongst all smartphones. My radar goes on for 4 days in between charges!
Old 24th February 2012, 17:50   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareshraheja View Post
Guys,

Cheers
I got a Lumia 710 for my wife and we have faced no problems with it till now and trust me she is a very heavy phone and data user. She faced a call disconnect once or twice but on closer investigation we found that she was touching the end call soft button with her cheek while on a conversation and that would disconnect a call. All it took to solve this problem was to hold the phone at a slight angle with the mic a little away from her mouth/cheek. In the 3 months that she has used it has never hung once. Also as joslicx has pointed out you may want to look at the Samsung also.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th February 2012 at 17:51.
Old 25th February 2012, 15:36   #101
BHPian

Thanks guys for the suggestions!

Samsung is not in the radar even though I personally prefer the Omnia to the Lumia. Already using the Galaxy S and loving it but this one is for wifey and she says there are three Samsung's in the house and hence its a big no no for her. Dad is using Wave and sis is using Star. Phew!!

Well the HTC radar is also out of the radar due to the slow processor. Instead I wanted an opinion on the Xperia Neo V. Wifey is all ga ga over the looks but, I'd like a third opinion on the performance.

Guess, it is now down to Lumia 710 and the Xperia Neo V.

Cheers
Old 25th February 2012, 15:46   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guess, it is now down to Lumia 710 and the Xperia Neo V.
Spec wise both of them are pretty much the same except that the Lumia has a slightly faster processor. I guess the choice would not be decided based on the operating system. Lumia has the Windows Phone 7 and the Xperia has Android. I would choose the Lumia because I just love the simple and clean look of WP7. But that is just a personal preference.
Old 25th February 2012, 16:41   #103
BHPian

You are right with respect to OS. For wifey, looks comes first and in general she loves the Xperia series.

Well, it is a close call and somehow I prefer Android but, at the same time I am also worried about Sony and Ericsson partying ways. Sony has already exited their TV manufacturing business and what's the fate going to be on the service front with the SE brands of phone, I wonder?

Well, I suppose its best she see both phones hand-in-hand and then decide. Whats the best price for both? I checked online and Neo V was around 15 K and Lumia was 14 K. Anything better guys?

Cheers
Old 25th February 2012, 20:59   #104
TOR
BHPian

Have a look at this.

Spec wise the 710 or the omnia might be better only in terms of processor, in all other respects it blows everything including the 800 out of the water.

Have been personally using the same from the same seller and have been pleasantly surprised.
Old 25th February 2012, 22:04   #105
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are right with respect to OS. For wifey, looks comes first and in general she loves the Xperia series.

Well, it is a close call and somehow I prefer Android but, at the same time I am also worried about Sony and Ericsson partying ways. Sony has already exited their TV manufacturing business and what's the fate going to be on the service front with the SE brands of phone, I wonder?

Well, I suppose its best she see both phones hand-in-hand and then decide. Whats the best price for both? I checked online and Neo V was around 15 K and Lumia was 14 K. Anything better guys?

Cheers
If you like Xperia, then go for it. Sony is quite dependable (unlike Samsung) and they have promised to update all Xperia pphones to ICS. Neo V also has quite good camera (if a camera is one of your priorities.) Another outstanding Xperia phone in your budget (slightly overbudget) would be Ray. It looks more premium than Neo V (Neo looks quite cheapo if you ask me! They shoould have given matt finish instead of the glossy one) The Sony Ericsson divorce is actually a good thing. sony alone would be able to concentrate on this business better (as it is not the core business of Ericsson).

Otherwise if you like the 710 go for it. I didnt buy it only for one reason! It uses MicroSim instead of the normal sim. This is relatively rare Sim (in use only in Lumia and in iphones.) So if you want to swap phones occassionally (or if u go overseas and want to use another sim there) then there are inconviniences. Otherwise its quite capable phone.

One thing that is good with Win OS is its not as much of a resource hogger as Android. Even 1GHz processor works as good, there is no lag whatsoever. Its very very fluid UI and there have been no problems or crashes so far in about 4 weeks of use now. Android needs pretty high end specs like (dual core, 1GB+ RAM etc) to achieve similar performance. Your 710 will have better performance (visually) than the Sony Neo V.

Last edited by joslicx : 25th February 2012 at 22:06.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks