Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:04   #61
Senior - BHPian

re: The Windows Phone Thread

Does anybody use the HTC Radar here? Hows the phone?

I am looking to replace my wife's phone. She was earlier using a budget Samsung (I think Star). I do not want to buy Android (am currently using an Android and am totally frustrated with so frequent crashes and bad battery. I use the HTC Sensation.) Apple is also ruled out as the only decent Apple (4S) is too expensive. That leaves Symbian/Belle and Win Mobile. Right now contemplating between Nokia N8, Nokia 701, Nokia Lumia 710 and HTC Radar.

The primary requirement is very good camera and very good battery life (as my wife is too lazy to keep charging it every day/night). Apps dont matter, looks matter. It will be used mostly for talking and for taking pictures.

Earlier I was using HTC touch Diamond and it was a good phone. Without too much use I would easily get 3 days between charges and at least it never crashed! It ran Win 6.1. I like MS (at least OS is stable enough) and I like HTC (very sturdy phones, I must have dropped my Touch Diamond lot of times, still it survived another day.) If Radar camera is good it will be Radar. Otherwise will have to look at Nokias.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:11   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Does anybody use the HTC Radar here? Hows the phone?

I am looking to replace my wife's phone. She was earlier using a budget Samsung (I think Star). I do not want to buy Android (am currently using an Android and am totally frustrated with so frequent crashes and bad battery. I use the HTC Sensation.) Apple is also ruled out as the only decent Apple (4S) is too expensive. That leaves Symbian/Belle and Win Mobile. Right now contemplating between Nokia N8, Nokia 701, Nokia Lumia 710 and HTC Radar.

The primary requirement is very good camera and very good battery life (as my wife is too lazy to keep charging it every day/night). Apps dont matter, looks matter. It will be used mostly for talking and for taking pictures.

Earlier I was using HTC touch Diamond and it was a good phone. Without too much use I would easily get 3 days between charges and at least it never crashed! It ran Win 6.1. I like MS (at least OS is stable enough) and I like HTC (very sturdy phones, I must have dropped my Touch Diamond lot of times, still it survived another day.) If Radar camera is good it will be Radar. Otherwise will have to look at Nokias.
The HTC Radar is a pretty good phone, but it's specs are a little bit outdated. You might want to look at the Nokia Lumia 710.

A quick comparison between both

Nokia Lumia 710 vs. HTC Radar - GSMArena.com

On paper the Radar look better than the Lumia 710.

Last edited by vikram_d : 22nd December 2011 at 18:15.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:30   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The procedure to make a custom ringtone is rather simple. Right click on the file that you want to make a ringtone and select Properties. In the Details tab set the Genre as Ringtone. Now sync this file through Zune and it will appear in your Ringtone + Sounds menu as a custom ringtone.
Thanks.

My frustration was because you have to create ringtone using Zune and transfer it. In most of other phones, you can just point to any music file present on the phone and that's it.

Also it means that earlier ringtone that I have created using MP3 cutter need to be reprocessed using Zune.
Old 22nd December 2011, 18:33   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Thanks.

My frustration was because you have to create ringtone using Zune and transfer it. In most of other phones, you can just point to any music file present on the phone and that's it.

Also it means that earlier ringtone that I have created using MP3 cutter need to be reprocessed using Zune.
What reprocessing? You just need to ensure they are below 1Mb size and set the Genre to Ringtone. Setting of the Genre can be done for all the files in one go. You don't have to do them separately.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 20:44   #65
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Thanks.

By re-process, do you mean getting them under 40 seconds? You can do that in Windows Movie Maker too; hardly a tedious job.

Another thing, I think it is recommended that you change the genre to Ringtone once you have added the particular file to Zune.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2011, 21:52   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Quote:
Also check Samsung Omnia W - spec wise its better than Lumia 800 (1500 mAh battery, front camera, gyro, smaller & lighter) except back camera (5MP) & storage (8GB). Its available in the store from today. Cheapest price so far is in Mobile Store at Rs 18,319 - http://www.themobilestore.in/mobiles...g_Omnia_W.html
Old 23rd December 2011, 10:58   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Another thing, I think it is recommended that you change the genre to Ringtone once you have added the particular file to Zune.
Doesn't matter what you use to set the Genre. All methods work.

Oh another small tip to get very high quality PNG files as your wallpaper. Email that file to yourself and download it on the phone. Do not save it on the phone. From the email itself open the file and once it is open directly use the option Set as Wallpaper.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:09   #68
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am using Samsung Omnia Pro (7610) which has windows 6.1 OS. Have few questions regarding microsoft marketplace.

Are there any applications avaiable on marketplace for Windows 6.1 os or marketplace is purely for os win 7 and above?

If yes, how these applications could be installed on the phone?

Is there a navigation application for Windows 6.1 Os available? (I have google maps installed on my phone however I could not used that for navigation)
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:19   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Hi Guys,

I am using Samsung Omnia Pro (7610) which has windows 6.1 OS. Have few questions regarding microsoft marketplace.

Are there any applications avaiable on marketplace for Windows 6.1 os or marketplace is purely for os win 7 and above?

If yes, how these applications could be installed on the phone?

Is there a navigation application for Windows 6.1 Os available? (I have google maps installed on my phone however I could not used that for navigation)
The Marketplace for Win 6.1/6.5 has been discontinued. Moreover it never had any good apps. For Win6.1 you can find tons of apps on the internet directly.

For Navigation you can try using Waze. It is a free app with good maps. Only downside is you need a data connection for it to work. Or you can go with Satguide or MapmyIndia both of who have good apps for Win 6.1.

Last edited by vikram_d : 23rd December 2011 at 11:20.
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
The Marketplace for Win 6.1/6.5 has been discontinued. Moreover it never had any good apps. For Win6.1 you can find tons of apps on the internet directly.
Thanks Vikram. Appreciate if you could PM me any sites where these apps are available. Also any idea how to install these apps on mobile?
Old 23rd December 2011, 11:29   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Thanks Vikram. Appreciate if you could PM me any sites where these apps are available. Also any idea how to install these apps on mobile?
The sites will depend on what sort of apps you are looking for.

You could just google the app. For example "win6.1 satguide app" etc.

The apps on Win6.1 are "cab" files. You just transfer them onto your phone or the memory card and you can execute them from there. On execution the cab file will install it's software based on your preferences like where you want to install it.

Remember to install navigations apps on the memory card as the map tends to take up a lot of space. I used to install everything on the memory card.
Old 23rd December 2011, 15:32   #72
Senior - BHPian

Samsung Omnia W is available for Rs 15,400 on Sulekha. Check this: Samsung Omnia W|Samsung Omnia W Price|Samsung Omnia W Mobile Phone Model\

Also Lumia 800 is available for Rs 26,500 there.

Last edited by msdivy : 23rd December 2011 at 15:49. Reason: Add Lumia info.
Old 23rd December 2011, 19:10   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The HTC Radar is a pretty good phone, but it's specs are a little bit outdated. You might want to look at the Nokia Lumia 710.

A quick comparison between both

Nokia Lumia 710 vs. HTC Radar - GSMArena.com

yes Lumia 710 and 800 are appealing enough (specially 800) but the only (and the ONLY) problem is the mircoSim they use! It means that I will not be able to use other sims (not to mention getting microsim in the first place from Airtel). 710's camera is also not getting good reviews (which is our main requirement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Also check Samsung Omnia W - spec wise its better than Lumia 800 (1500 mAh battery, front camera, gyro, smaller & lighter) except back camera (5MP) & storage (8GB). Its available in the store from today. Cheapest price so far is in Mobile Store at Rs 18,319 - http://www.themobilestore.in/mobiles...g_Omnia_W.html
Specs might be better on samsungs but not the looks. since its for wife, specs dont matter much. thats why samsungs were ruled out. also samsung is notorious with updates (just learnt they are not updating their original Galaxy S to ICS! While similar specced google galaxy is updated already!).

as of now heavily leaning towards the HTC. Have very good previous experience with the brand.

If only nokia had updated their N8 to a good 1GHz processor and at least 512 MB RAM and a good display (qHD or something) that would have made the best smartphone in the world! The best 12 MP camera, a killer OS (Belle is really good) and good build quality and Nokia's reliability. What more needed.
Old 25th December 2011, 17:28   #74
BHPian

Nokia Lumia 800 (Black) for Rs.24,798 at Sulekha, for all who are looking for a bargain deal on this phone

Nokia Lumia 800 Price India|Nokia Lumia 800 Price List|Nokia Lumia 800 Rates
Old 25th December 2011, 20:39   #75
Senior - BHPian

anybody using HTC touch pro/fuze/raphael can directly use my keyboard-remapper xml file.

Vivek's weblog: Things I can do with my HTC touch pro

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks