Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 10:56   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: The Windows Phone Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Just to set your expectation right. Nokia maps available on WP7 are not as good as Ovi maps. Many of the features of Ovi maps are not provided in Nokia maps. For example, you can not save locations.
True but those features are in the pipeline.

New Maps, Drive and Transport in depth – Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog
Old 14th March 2012, 12:17   #152
BHPian

Been using the Lumia 710 for a few months now. Its great hardware, refreshingly different software, wonderful screen, excellent social integration, but just one tiny issue - making calls.

Actually even dialling is a breeze, Its ending calls thats the issue - Once you press "end call" 7 out of 10 times the phone remains on the "ending call" screen for a few minutes and then restarts ( completely switches off and back on again ), giving you a down time of about 5 minutes before you can make the next call and usually when this issue happens once, it happens again when you call immediately after the restart.
This is apparently a widely reported bug, and "they're working on a fix" :P
Also, you can't send an automatic "i'll call you later" text instead of answering a call, or flip the phone over to silence a call - Old concepts we'll probably see die out like two-line phones, but thats a different rant.

Having used iOS since the very beginning, I think i'm in a position to make a comparison between the two. While iOS is like mercedes - its got great power, wonderful build and theres really nothing you can complain about; wp7 would be the mitsubishi evo ! its FUN while giving you everything you need, of course.

Verdict :

The phone is great for everything except making calls. Its just about average at that, if you ignore the call ending bug. Unless, microsoft lets nokia reword the call app, i mean thats where their expertise should be implemented.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:08   #153
Senior - BHPian

@SiddVish - This is strange as my wife is also using the 710 for the last 3 months and this has never happened on her phone.

When this problem happens next, check how much signal is being shown. Also try to toggle between 3G and E in the networks settings and see if this helps. Have you upgraded the phone to the 8107 build?

This used to happen on my old phone HTC phone whenever I lost signal when ending a call.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:16   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
There are no arrow keys on the WP7 keyboard. To move the cursor you have keep your finger pressed and then you will see a cursor icon pop up. While continuing to keep the finger pressed on the screen you can drop the cursor wherever you want.
Thanks for the details. I never noticed this feature in any documentation / help and always struggled to navigate accross the text i typed.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:18   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiddVish View Post
Been using the Lumia 710 for a few months now. Its great hardware, refreshingly different software, wonderful screen, excellent social integration, but just one tiny issue - making calls.

Verdict :
The phone is great for everything except making calls.
Now, isn't that ironic?
If a phone fails to fulfill its basic premise, how can one praise it?
Old 14th March 2012, 13:18   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
@SiddVish - This is strange as my wife is also using the 710 for the last 3 months and this has never happened on her phone.

When this problem happens next, check how much signal is being shown. Also try to toggle between 3G and E in the networks settings and see if this helps. Have you upgraded the phone to the 8107 build?

This used to happen on my old phone HTC phone whenever I lost signal when ending a call.
Hmm, let me try and make a few calls and see LOL no but Nokia have acknowledged that it's a software issue they're working on fixing.
Wow she's really lucky her phone isn't suffering from it. This can really spoil the experience of a great phone.

Interestingly though, I cleared all my texts, call logs and turned off international assist (don't know what it does, but had switched it on because it sounded fancy ) and haven't had this issue since this morning.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:29   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalluDude View Post
Now, isn't that ironic?
If a phone fails to fulfill its basic premise, how can one praise it?
Oh you'll be surprised, the utilities of devices have changed so much nowadays. I know people who use their phones for everything but making calls, ok thats an exaggeration, but lol i know people who would barely make two calls a day. Got to be fair to that demographic

speaking of changing utilities, i'm typing this off my iPod while playing music from my phone :P
SiddVish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 15:25   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
turned off international assist (don't know what it does, but had switched it on because it sounded fancy ) and haven't had this issue since this morning.
The description for what exactly it does is kind of vague but here it is.

If you frequently travel abroad you can make use of the International assist by enabling it from the setting, application, phone, and then enable International assist. With this option enabled the phone will automatically correct the numbers required to dial.

Ok fond an example for this thing - Let's say you have a contact whose phone number is +1-12345678. So if you want to dial the number from this India this is fine. But if you want to dial this number from the US you only want to dial 12345678. International assist basically does that so that you don't have to change the number in your contacts.

Quote:
Oh you'll be surprised, the utilities of devices have changed so much nowadays. I know people who use their phones for everything but making calls, ok thats an exaggeration, but lol i know people who would barely make two calls a day. Got to be fair to that demographic
I am a part of that demographic. Since this morning I have not received a single call on my cell phone and I haven't made any. This happens with me a lot. The basic use of my phone is emails, internet and some multimedia.

And do this just this much I will be buying the Lumia 900 when it is released in India.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:09   #159
Senior - BHPian

Dudes, what might be a better option - Omnia W (with warranty) or Focus (without warranty, but some 1-2 k cheaper than the Omnia)? Please help!
Old 14th March 2012, 17:12   #160
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Dudes, what might be a better option - Omnia W (with warranty) or Focus (without warranty, but some 1-2 k cheaper than the Omnia)? Please help!
Omnia W - with warranty!

1) No point losing out on warranty, 2) No point losing out on warranty for 1-2k; you never know when Mr. Murphy pays a visit.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:24   #161
Senior - BHPian

Agree with libranof1987, go for the Omnia W with warranty.
Old 14th March 2012, 17:42   #162
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys, for the quick response! But price and warranty aside, is Omina W a "better" phone than the Focus? Reasons if any, please?
Old 14th March 2012, 18:07   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks guys, for the quick response! But price and warranty aside, is Omina W a "better" phone than the Focus? Reasons if any, please?
Full specification comparison for your perusal.

Samsung Omnia W I8350 vs. Samsung Focus - GSMArena.com
Old 14th March 2012, 18:15   #164
Senior - BHPian

^^^Thanks mate, but was reffering to actual user experience. Anyway, seems Omnia is the way to go, except for the slightly smaller screen, which may be a good thing actually (for portability).

One last question - Maps and Navigation is very important. How good would it be in the Omnia, in Indian cities? And how would it compare with the experience in an Android? What about offline maps/navigations? I can see that Google Maps has a WP version, with reduced support...
Old 14th March 2012, 18:33   #165
Senior - BHPian

For maps and navigation read the previous page.

Most Viewed