Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2009, 11:41   #301
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I think sunfilm on windscreen is spoiling the signals. As tsk mentioned, external antenna is most obvious option.

Given that this unit does not have a port for antenna, you can try finding some spot in car that has better signal reception.

But overall it should not be a problem. If you are out of city keep the unit outside car for 5 mins so that it gets the fix. Once it locks on satellites it should work.
Thanks guys for the inputs. I'll explore the option of an external antenna and while I do that, let me see if there is a way of 'force feeding' Ephemeris data to the device through software on the Win CE platform. I am aware that I may be beating around the bush with this - but there is no harm trying. I might just stumble onto something
Old 27th October 2009, 13:40   #302
BANNED

Just received my unit. here are the initial pics. As someone said earlier its opened, examined, repacked and delivered it to me.
Attached Thumbnails
Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?-dsc04666.jpg  

Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?-dsc04667.jpg  

Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?-dsc04668.jpg  

Will a GPS PND bought from abroad work in India?-dsc04669.jpg  

Old 27th October 2009, 19:38   #303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_maassk View Post
Finally received my unit yesterday evening . MMI loaded, Garmin loaded, installed Vishek's BlackRedEdition menu. Everything works - except for bluetooth audio being routed to FM. Not a biggie though!

Buying a 16GB card today evening and will then load up some test videos to figure out the best encoding parameters for this device.

Next in line is Miopocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
Just received my unit. here are the initial pics. As someone said earlier its opened, examined, repacked and delivered it to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
That's good news, Did it come to your house? Were you able to track it when it reached India?

When did you order yours? How did you find out that it reached India? Mine departed HK on 15th, any idea when i will get it?
Could you answer me )

Last edited by akshay_b : 27th October 2009 at 19:45.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:53   #304
BANNED

^^^
I ordered it on 18-09-2009 . Item Shipped from DX store on 27-09-2009, Item left HK on 6-10-2009 (as per Hongkong Post tracking), after several call to FPO Bangalore finally confirmed that Item reached here in India on 23-10-2009, and due for custom clearance and checking/repacking. Today 27-10-2009 received the item to my address. I hope you got the answer.

Update:- Now my GPS unit runs on custom menu i.e GPS_Menu_Pez_ver2.0
Can any one tell me whether Destinator 8.0.20.21.1 works with MapmyIndia 200909 map , if so how and where to put the map?

Last edited by wildon : 27th October 2009 at 19:56.
Old 27th October 2009, 19:57   #305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Normally your unit sees the satellites through the windscreen, and roof is opaque to it.
So lets say you start moving, and your unit sees satellites 4,7,18,22
ITs trying to get positon fix using them.
I don't think GPS devices need direct line of sight. they work on radio frequency. My GPS works well even indoors. of course it's not as accurate because of waves bouncing from walls etc.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:13   #306
BHPian

Quote:
^^^
I ordered it on 18-09-2009 . Item Shipped from DX store on 27-09-2009, Item left HK on 6-10-2009 (as per Hongkong Post tracking), after several call to FPO Bangalore finally confirmed that Item reached here in India on 23-10-2009, and due for custom clearance and checking/repacking. Today 27-10-2009 received the item to my address. I hope you got the answer.
Thanks for the info buddy, My GPS was ordered on 2nd of October and left HK on 15th of October, I'll have to wait for 9-10 more days
I guess i'll get it sooner if i collect it from the foreign post directly. I would've got it sooner if they sent it through a marathon walker
Old 27th October 2009, 20:29   #307
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the info buddy, My GPS was ordered on 2nd of October and left HK on 15th of October, I'll have to wait for 9-10 more days
I guess i'll get it sooner if i collect it from the foreign post directly. I would've got it sooner if they sent it through a marathon walker
in my case the FPO person said i cant collect it directly from them so i had to wait for couple more days.
Old 27th October 2009, 20:54   #308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
er Destinator 8.0.20.21.1 works with MapmyIndia 200909 map , if so how and where to put the map?
Destinator works with Satguide maps. MMI uses a different software (Miero viaGPS)
Old 27th October 2009, 23:17   #309
BHPian

Quote:
in my case the FPO person said i cant collect it directly from them so i had to wait for couple more days.
Is there anyway that i can track the shipment online after it reaches India?

Oh, and Tushargohil's package wasn't opened.

Last edited by akshay_b : 27th October 2009 at 23:26.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:22   #310
Senior - BHPian

Online tracking did not work for me. Had to call them to get status.
Old 27th October 2009, 23:45   #311
BANNED

hm.... tried with Miero viaGPS & MapmyIndia 200909 map combi and its working. Done a quick drive through ORR and came back home now.

Take me home feature worked great .

Can any suggest which is best combination of software & map for India?

Last edited by wildon : 27th October 2009 at 23:48.
Old 28th October 2009, 02:09   #312
BHPian

Using my Garmin StreetPilot

Friends,

I'm not aware of the GPS scene in India. Also, I'm not too techie. So please be easy on my post.

I'm currently using a Garmin StreetPilot C330 in the US. It has a slid for sd card but since the maps are already loaded, i didn't bother much.

I'm planning to bring my unit when I come back to India.
1. I assume a Garmin StreetPilot will work in India.
2. I have the maps from MapsMyIndia.

Now, how do I install these maps in a SD cards and use the gps when I'm in Bangalore.

Is there anywere I would refer or is there someone whom I can communicate with offline on this.

Thanks.
Chandra
Old 28th October 2009, 09:17   #313
BHPian

Quote:
Could you answer me )
I was not able to track it once it left HK. The tracking number did not show up any results on the Indiapost website! I just waited and kept calling the local post office a couple of times. I was delivered to my house. It took exactly 36 days to reach after I had ordered it on the website. From the day it departed from HK, it took 25 days.

Can't really tell when should you expect it. Just wait and watch!
Old 28th October 2009, 09:20   #314
BHPian

Quote:
hm.... tried with Miero viaGPS & MapmyIndia 200909 map combi and its working. Done a quick drive through ORR and came back home now.

Take me home feature worked great .

Can any suggest which is best combination of software & map for India?
Have tried quite a few mapping apps on this. The best I found is MMI maps with its application. Has plenty of good features and the turn-by-turn navigation works great too!
Old 28th October 2009, 09:33   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandras View Post
1. I assume a Garmin StreetPilot will work in India.
2. I have the maps from MapsMyIndia.

Now, how do I install these maps in a SD cards and use the gps when I'm in Bangalore.

How much did you pay for MapMyIndia maps?

These maps come in an SD card. So no need to install.

1. Just remove current SD card from your device
2. Put in card that MapMyIndia sent you

India maps would show up in few mins.
StreetPilot maps are on internal memory. So removing current SD card would not impact maps that are already on device.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks