Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2009, 09:39   #151
BHPian

I am getting MIO MOOV 400 for $99 in US. Pls let me know if this is a good deal and can work in INDIA
Old 28th September 2009, 19:45   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyrana View Post
I am getting MIO MOOV 400 for $99 in US. Pls let me know if this is a good deal and can work in INDIA
instead of buying MIO M400, go for MIO S 501, its the latest with spirit software, miomaps are available for india.

MIO's have one of the best PND's in market, and one with bluetooth will be a great bargain.

Last edited by indie : 28th September 2009 at 20:04.
Old 28th September 2009, 19:51   #153

also, one more thing.. if its preloaded with NAVMAN software, u won't be able to use, iNDIA map as the maps are in .map format, for miomap 2008,maps can be used as supported maps are of cpf format..

you need to use cracked versions (replacing original files with cracked one) as the map is not officially available..

over all, you can use MIOPOCKET to unlock your device & load anything.
Old 28th September 2009, 21:58   #154
BHPian

I bought a GARMIN nuvi 205W preloaded with UK map. You think I can use this set in India?
What I need to do to get Indian map? Which map is suitable for this set?
Old 28th September 2009, 23:02   #155

yes you can this in india.. you have three options to choose from..
mapmyindia, satguide or navteq maps.. out of which navteq maps you can find across many forums.

google you'll find maps on ipmart n others.
Old 29th September 2009, 12:26   #156
BHPian

Poll

Hello All,

Can someone start poll for best Maps for india? right now i dont have enough permission to start new poll

MapmyIndia Mireo Black Edition/Mio Map 2008
MamyIndia inav
Satguide
Polnav
Route66

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 29th September 2009, 13:06   #157
Senior - BHPian

Would there be any point in polling for a map, when all of them start from just one source? Unless that source does a great job, and covers the whole of India at a detail level, everyone is stuck.

All that the Navigation software companies are providing is a User Interface, the Route Guidance engine and slightly different graphics.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:15   #158
BHPian

Poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Would there be any point in polling for a map, when all of them start from just one source? Unless that source does a great job, and covers the whole of India at a detail level, everyone is stuck.

All that the Navigation software companies are providing is a User Interface, the Route Guidance engine and slightly different graphics.
Make sense... DerAlte,

I thought poll will give better picture to first buyer as well as people who want to shift to other interface.. but as people say boss always right

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 29th September 2009, 13:35   #159
sun
BHPian

If you want a poll there will only be two contestants, MapMyIndia and Satguide.

Among them, no doubt MMI is better, IMO.
Old 29th September 2009, 13:39   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
If you want a poll there will only be two contestants, MapMyIndia and Satguide.

Among them, no doubt MMI is better, IMO.
Agree... No doubt on it... MMI is better but i personally feel POI list is better in Garmin unless i added them manually...

Thanks,
Tushar
Old 29th September 2009, 15:54   #161
Team-BHP Support

I do not know on what basis you people believe that MMI is better than Satguide or vice-versa. Both of them now cover a lot many more POIs and both now offer over 400 cities' maps.

I do not know whether it is the accuracy of the maps that you are talking about. However there also I have a strong doubt about the MMI guys. Simply because they try to bluff too much. It is accepted that the world over the accuracy of the GPS data and maps has not gone beyond 92% as yet, though they are improving but it is said the pace of change is faster than the rate at which maps are updated. Now, you ask Satguide people and they are very humble in accepting, without any prodding from your end, that their maps are around 85% accurate. They also tell you that they are continuously improving and they hope to reach 90% in a couple of years.

In contrast when I talked to MMI sales guys they first shot back saying "Saab haath se banaya map nahi hai. They are very accurate". This infuriated me a bit and I insisted that still, GPS maps are always sold with an accuracy scale. At this the guy said that MMI maps are more than 98% accurate and in many cases almost 100% accurate. And you should have heard the indignance in the voice of that guy. Almost like I am a kid that he is being forced to talk to. I just threw the phone away in disgust after that. They think they can bluff their way through anything. I will like to know their actual accuracy though. For now, I have moved to Satguide (after the above experience).

However, I have been given to understand that they do cover Delhi and up north pretty well. Also, their coverage of rural India is apparently better than Satguide.

Last edited by Zappo : 29th September 2009 at 15:56.
Old 29th September 2009, 21:55   #162
sun
BHPian

My opinion about MMI has been based on my limited travel through TN, KA and KL. Coverage of MMI is definitely better than Satguide, especially the smaller roads. Example being, the road from Mangalore to Kollur is so damaged that vehicles often take side roads to avoid the hopelessly bad sections. Most of these roads are present in MMI, while Satguide draws a blank. I am yet to test the coverage in the northern parts, so no comment on that.

Front end of MMI is snappy and responsive, while Satguide is slow and sluggish. This is based on my usage of both on my Win Mobile 6 phone.

I haven't yet talked to any representative of either companies, so cant comment on that. But I have had a 'live chat' with one fellow from MMI, who said that my phone is not supported, but that was not the case, he was ill informed about the product.
Old 29th September 2009, 22:28   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
However there also I have a strong doubt about the MMI guys. Simply because they try to bluff too much....
.... Almost like I am a kid that he is being forced to talk to.
Couldn't agree more on this. MMI is simply arrogant. I sought some details on their maps for Nokia phones response was like they are doing a favour by selling maps.

OTOH, MMI does have a better software then SatGuide (Miero ViaGPS vs. SatGuide's Destinator). Destinator's UI looks dated. And PC version of destinator is pathetic.

In my experience, Garmin's App + Satguide maps make for a decent unit.
Old 30th September 2009, 08:34   #164
sun
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

...And PC version of destinator is pathetic.

Check out Destinator 9 for PC

Old 30th September 2009, 08:38   #165
BHPian

Quote:
In my experience, Garmin's App + Satguide maps make for a decent unit
Garmin apps with Satguide maps ? you mean OneIndia-09 ?

Thanks,
Tushar

Most Viewed