Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th February 2008, 15:34   #2596
BHPian

Hey MC Mayank,
it is a combination of both. Even though some phones have the capability to act as recievers, this technology has not gained much ground in India as of yet. Thereby Service Providers are rare. So even though GPS is just starting to make an entry, traffic updates is a long time coming.
Old 18th February 2008, 16:03   #2597
BHPian

Beware, people planning to buy Nokia 5310 and 5610.

Read lot of complaints about the mobile restarting after 20mins of music, freezing during music play on receiving an sms/call. Even the latest firmware does not seem to address the bugs... so much for the dedicated piece of hardware for music that Nokia put into these mobiles.

After an exhaustive search, reviews etc, bought the Nokia 6500 slide for my Wife. Have to say shes mightily impressed with my decision
Old 18th February 2008, 16:27   #2598
BHPian

Planning to buy the HTC S710, love the design...have any of you guys used the model.

Avaiable for Rs 13,500/= in Lajpat Nagar Market

HTC
Old 18th February 2008, 17:01   #2599
Senior - BHPian

Any O2 XDA Stealth users here? I just saw an offer from an online shopping site (Am forgetting whether it was Sify/Rediff/Indiatimes) which was advertising it for INR 10K. I think its a great buy at that price.
Old 18th February 2008, 17:07   #2600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail4ajo View Post
I have been using a E50 for 2 months now. Overall happy except for the OS which is pretty slow. No firmware update available now. Sometimes while roaming on certain networks, I hear echo on the line. Disappears when I keep the speaker volume low. I suggest you take a proper demo before you buy.
Check Nokia Software Updater service. If it doesnt work on the India site, go to Nokia EMEA site and update from there. I had an E50 and it was updated to the latest version (Sep 2007). Works like a charm. The only grudge with that phone was the tiny font size
Old 18th February 2008, 17:10   #2601
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
How good is O2 XDA Stealth for 14k? B&W!

and O2 Zinc for 22k
hey jkdas, check this link. It seems that Stealth prices have fallen below 10K level
O2 XDA Stealth SmartPhone - Lowest Price With Vendor Warranty. gifts in india at rediff shopping
Old 18th February 2008, 17:12   #2602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
I got Advanced Call Manager and SMS Spam Manager along with my E51. I remember installing it two days ago.

I had to format the memory card and after which I cant see the programs or its installation ( these initially came under a folder called Installations).

How can I get these back?
I don't think there is a way to get these back from the memory. This used to happen with me every time I upgraded my phone's firmware on E50. Although the icons and programs used to show in the Installation folder, I had to re-install all the applications
Old 18th February 2008, 17:31   #2603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
hey jkdas, check this link. It seems that Stealth prices have fallen below 10K level
O2 XDA Stealth SmartPhone - Lowest Price With Vendor Warranty. gifts in india at rediff shopping
yup. Why the sudden price fall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
I don't think there is a way to get these back from the memory. This used to happen with me every time I upgraded my phone's firmware on E50. Although the icons and programs used to show in the Installation folder, I had to re-install all the applications
So I cant get it back? I dont have the setup :(
Old 18th February 2008, 18:51   #2604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Hey MC Mayank,
it is a combination of both. Even though some phones have the capability to act as recievers, this technology has not gained much ground in India as of yet. Thereby Service Providers are rare. So even though GPS is just starting to make an entry, traffic updates is a long time coming.
Oh so you are saying with the GPS phones that we have available in the market today, we would be able to run traffic monitoring GPS kinda stuff later when it does become available in INdia?
Old 18th February 2008, 21:40   #2605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Mayank View Post
Oh so you are saying with the GPS phones that we have available in the market today, we would be able to run traffic monitoring GPS kinda stuff later when it does become available in INdia?
Mayank-bhai, the traffic monitoring has to be provided by some agency - it is not sensed by the GPS or any other satellite. Right now the only service of this kind is the Radio City traffic guidance based on feedback from you and me stuck in a traffic jam!!!

Not unless the traffic cops implement camera-based traffic monitoring as done in US & Europe, will we be able to get a reliable traffic advisory service.
Old 18th February 2008, 22:05   #2606

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Mayank-bhai, the traffic monitoring has to be provided by some agency - it is not sensed by the GPS or any other satellite. Right now the only service of this kind is the Radio City traffic guidance based on feedback from you and me stuck in a traffic jam!!!

Not unless the traffic cops implement camera-based traffic monitoring as done in US & Europe, will we be able to get a reliable traffic advisory service.

totally agree with you,i dont think you can get live traffic info here..
Old 19th February 2008, 00:13   #2607
BHPian

Exactly what i said people, that it is a looong time coming.
In order for it to work, the infrastructure regarding the technology has to be built.
So like i said. GPS is still in its new born stages here, so we can forget traffic updates for a loong loong time.
At the moment, people are still going AW!!! at GPS. And maps are still to be made, of Indias countless gallies and bylanes. So 1st let GPS enter & then dream of Traffic Updates
Old 19th February 2008, 01:37   #2608
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijit.gangwar View Post
Planning to buy the HTC S710, love the design...have any of you guys used the model.

Avaiable for Rs 13,500/= in Lajpat Nagar Market

HTC

My friend just bought this phone, upon using it i found the fone to be noticably slow. Esp when u open the sliding keypad it takes a while to switch to landscape, But otherwise its fine. Vodafone people told her that Vodafone Live can't be activated on this model only Vodafone Access (199Rs min) But we copied the settings from my fone and its working fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Do we get N95 version in India with 1200mah battery and extra RAM (same as N95-8GB)?

Basically, I want N95 with SD card stuff but same battery life and performance as N95-GB.

Thanks.

Andro if you get the latest firmware for N95, it brings demand paging to your phone and also increases the available memory after a reboot. The phone becomes much faster. So incase u go for N95 make sure it has the latest firmware.

Last edited by aZa : 19th February 2008 at 01:40.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:37   #2609
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xehaust View Post
Exactly what i said people, that it is a looong time coming.
In order for it to work, the infrastructure regarding the technology has to be built.
So like i said. GPS is still in its new born stages here, so we can forget traffic updates for a loong loong time.
At the moment, people are still going AW!!! at GPS. And maps are still to be made, of Indias countless gallies and bylanes. So 1st let GPS enter & then dream of Traffic Updates
What is your expectation regarding Infrastructure and Technology? In my opinion we have all the Technology ready, we have the infrastructure. its just that we need a good service provider. There are lots of company coming up with good maps, and its just matter of time that we will see many more service providers coming in to the market.

And if you have used Google Maps with GPS, I guess they have details at the level of all the lanes in Chandani Chowk, from Baali Maran to Dariba Kalan .

also people need to learn to take the advantage to Current Maps and GPS technology.
Old 19th February 2008, 12:59   #2610
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
MVodafone people told her that Vodafone Live can't be activated on this model only Vodafone Access (199Rs min) But we copied the settings from my fone and its working fine.
That is what the morons tell everyone who's not using a Nokia phone. They told me that too but I went to their regional office & the tech guy gave me all the setting within a minute & it started working on my iPhone without a problem!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks