Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2009, 12:41   #4831
BHPian

Since you dont prefer LG, try this new Samsung piece..It has 3 inch touch-screen, 3.2 Mp Cam, It is Candybar as u wanted, Its thin and would cost around 11k.

Check these links:
Samsung Star Overview - Samsung Mobile India

Samsung Launches Touchscreen Phones in India - Samsung Star, Samsung Star 3G and Samsung BEAT DJ - Softpedia

Hope this helps..
Old 22nd May 2009, 13:12   #4832
BHPian

Thanks Zenster! It is really good looking and weighs just 92g! After my TV, Fridge and Washing Machine, this will be my 4th Samsung in the family if I go for it.

I will be hunting the market tomorrow. If I do not get more options by end of day today, it will most likely be the Star tomorrow.
Old 22nd May 2009, 14:44   #4833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
I must admit I haven't touched an LG since their first generation phones hit the market. They were too tacky then. Maybe I need to take a look now. Any cookie users here?

I also need more choices.
You can read the review below, and the cam is 3mp not 2mp sorry.

LG KP500 Cookie review: Grab a bite - GSMArena.com
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:06   #4834
BHPian

You assumed correctly zenster. There are applications like gsen which allow you landscape mode in whichever application you want. I don't quite feel the need for it though. Messaging the ordinary way seems more convenient.
Youtube for diamond and u'll get to see everything.
Just don't go by the speed of the handset though, They're really slow in those videos, with the latest updates they're blazing.

The gps should be available, I was surprised though when I saw that the dec packaging didn't have the offer. You'll have to check on that.
Shall upload pictures soon, you can check out samples on the gsmarena review.
Feel free to clarify.

I'll be candid about one point though, battery life isn't great. Even with the new battery I can barely manage 24hrs. The screen and motion sensor gaming consume a lot.
If ur planning to use a lot of the gps ensure you have a car charger. It'll die out in around 3 hours
Old 22nd May 2009, 15:19   #4835
BHPian

Check this out...
Samsung Star S5233 Price in India - Portable Devices

It says LG Cookie is for 9700 and Samsung Star for 9300.
I could not find a comparison between the two. They have mostly identical features.
Old 22nd May 2009, 23:52   #4836
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone here got a chance to use the PALM PRE ? The phone looks very funky and the OS seems to be the next best thing. How much is this gonna cost if it ever comes to india?
Old 23rd May 2009, 00:51   #4837
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Just a piece of news. . .
HTC Touch Pro battery explodes, the trend continues
Old 23rd May 2009, 01:08   #4838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Has anyone here got a chance to use the PALM PRE ? The phone looks very funky and the OS seems to be the next best thing. How much is this gonna cost if it ever comes to india?
Well it's launching only on June 6th. I think the pricing would be premium in India. In the IPhone sort of range. But I'm not sure if Palm would ever come to India, even the Treo or the old Palmtops are not very popular here. BlackBerry's and Nokia's rule in India.
Old 23rd May 2009, 07:33   #4839
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
Thats the spare battery that he was carrying.. Quiet possible that a metal object, like coin, was kept with the battery and the + - terminals connected for a prolonged period.

Its not safe to carry a spare battery without a proper shield/ cover for it.
Old 24th May 2009, 10:00   #4840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Check GPS status from Tools->Connectivity->GPS Data->Satellite Status.

How many satellites do you see there? [This Menu is fron N82, so location could be different]

For Nokia, You can buy

1. MapmyIndia
2. SatNav
3. Gamin XT

I am trying to Garmin and its quite decent. Cost is 1900 Rs. Have mailed them for better maps. Maps it has were updated last time in 2008, Quarter 1. Maps are from Navteq

MapmyIndia is the best in terms of Maps so far. And its the costliest.
Hey NetFreak, Sorry to bring-up this old post from you. I just wanted to check with you that the 1900/- cost u mentioned above is valid for how long, i mean is it a monthly payment or annually etc. Please forgive my ignorance on this topic but i'd like to understand things and keep them in perspective with the Rs.300 package from SatNav mentioned earlier.
Old 24th May 2009, 11:03   #4841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
My apologies, internet hasn't worked in a long time.
@zenster- The ordinary t9 keyboard works brilliantly with one hand. No issues at all. The onscreen keyboard isn't small at all. It's huge.
Take a demo, that'll help
I have huge hands
Camera's decent. Don't use it much though. Would you like me to attach a few sample pics ?

@Rodeo- Don't agree, haven't had trouble messaging while driving using the t9 keyboard. There are also lots of additional keyboards available on xda forums. Pick one you like!

@SLK- seems the diamond will support win7, htc may not release a version for it though, xda forums again .

Now what all of you seem to be wondering about.
My pack(packaged, mfgd oct2008) came with a satguide disc. I had to pay a lifetime subscription cost of Rs 300 for unlimited usage, all india map with one free upgrade(they provided the april map free of cost, I thought that was wonderful of them, I still have the update option open)
No navigation costs, no hidden costs. No offline maps either. Real time gps for 300/-

Does this work with out GPRS/Edge?
Old 24th May 2009, 11:05   #4842
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenster View Post
Hey NetFreak, Sorry to bring-up this old post from you. I just wanted to check with you that the 1900/- cost u mentioned above is valid for how long, i mean is it a monthly payment or annually etc. Please forgive my ignorance on this topic but i'd like to understand things and keep them in perspective with the Rs.300 package from SatNav mentioned earlier.
The garmin maps, well,

I think first you need the software [garmin mobile xt 5], which would cost [don't know how much, but it isn't free]
Then the maps - those are offline maps, it'll be your copy to keep and use for ever. [can't say if it'll include updates in the Rs 1900 pack]

No more to add. . .

Last edited by SLK : 24th May 2009 at 11:07.
Old 24th May 2009, 11:45   #4843
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
Does this work with out GPRS/Edge?
The Satguide, Mapmyindia and Garmin work with maps stored in the external memory of a phone or a navigation device and do not need internet connectivity.

I have mapmyindia in a navigation device and works beautifully even in my parts of the world.

But it does occasionally goof up about one ways and non existent roads. One particular 'no road' that it tells me to use is in the latest version. In the older version it never tells me to take the 'no road'.
Old 24th May 2009, 12:13   #4844
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trrk View Post
But it does occasionally goof up. . .
That reminds me of the nokia maps. It tried to make me miss ALL the flyovers on the outer ring road [Delhi].

I think, a few of these softwares have problems with left/right side driving,
Old 24th May 2009, 12:53   #4845
BHPian

Just to clarify, my 300Rs satguide as its become known now works without edge/gprs
It's not an offline map system, shows real time speed,position of car and voice prompts are pretty good.
Does mess up at times but mostly it's places where the metro is being constructed. It's understandable I guess.
Trip from ggaon to vasant vihar to gk2 was handled well, by the gps, not by the battery

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks