Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2009, 21:41   #4861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
so what you guys are saying is that it is not a defect per se and everything's fine?
I had similar issue in my Asus P526. Spec says it is EDGE enabled but it always displayed G. I updated the firmware after which it started showing `E`. Never seen it switching between E and G after that in Bangalore.
Check the firmware of teh phone to see if it is the latest one.
Old 25th May 2009, 22:28   #4862
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
So if you get GPRS, there is no EDGE but then a phone can show 'G' and support EDGE and vice versa. EDGE is also called EGPRS.
EGPRS bit am aware off, the phenomenon iam pointing is: An area where E is usual phenomenon, but once in a while becomes G. This i have clearly noticed on Airtel network both in HSR and Koramangala area.

You mean to say that unless there is a G tower somewhere there, this shouldnt happen?

Next time am getting this, am taking a screen shot and putting it up maybe with gmap for my positioning ahh brilliant i am, will make a check of the tower without GPS, to confirm if it happens with the same tower.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:07   #4863
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
... You don't need to drop down to GPRS to do that. EDGE uses different modulation to increase the bit rate ...
So if you get GPRS, there is no EDGE but then a phone can show 'G' and support EDGE and vice versa. ...
Go out and smell the coffee, buddy! All this is an on-the-fly decision taken by the radio section firmware. We are only discussing what a user can see as end-result, not the theory behind it. Definitely the user cannot influence selection of a different modulation to continue in EDGE!

I see this phenomenon every morning on my Blackberry. Where I normally park it for the night, it shows to GPRS (BB shows full-form) with 5bars on signal strength. When I pick it up and move 2m away, it goes to EDGE with 2bars. Further away, the bars increase.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:23   #4864
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Go out and smell the coffee, buddy! All this is an on-the-fly decision taken by the radio section firmware. We are only discussing what a user can see as end-result, not the theory behind it. Definitely the user cannot influence selection of a different modulation to continue in EDGE!

I see this phenomenon every morning on my Blackberry. Where I normally park it for the night, it shows to GPRS (BB shows full-form) with 5bars on signal strength. When I pick it up and move 2m away, it goes to EDGE with 2bars. Further away, the bars increase.
Maybe there's a tower that doesn't support EDGE.

I have no interest in continuing this discussion, but I too use push mail and the 'E' is connected 24x7, and never have I seen non-EDGE in Delhi. Nevermind.
Old 26th May 2009, 12:29   #4865
Senior - BHPian

Am thinking of a communicator kind of phone, did get to try Nokia E75 while working on the demo but am pretty impressed with E90...

Any other phone which comes to this category?
Old 26th May 2009, 15:01   #4866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
Buddy, you dont need a separate phone for that. A software called Handy Blacklist or Best Blacklist or Advanced Call Manager will do. I have used all three on Symbian phones (Nokia E series) and have been most happy with Handy BlackList.

Thanks Nishant, and sorry for the delay in replying. I had an old Sony Ericsson, and now have a Blackberry Bold. Can I block calls from a BB? Do I need to install any third party app like Handy Blacklist and does it work for BB?
Old 26th May 2009, 15:22   #4867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalvaz View Post
Thanks Nishant, and sorry for the delay in replying. I had an old Sony Ericsson, and now have a Blackberry Bold. Can I block calls from a BB? Do I need to install any third party app like Handy Blacklist and does it work for BB?
I doubt whether Handy BlackList works on a BB. Honestly, I have only tried it on Symbian phones. Please check out the websites of Epocware and Handy Software.
Old 27th May 2009, 09:38   #4868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyamhegde View Post
I had similar issue in my Asus P526. Spec says it is EDGE enabled but it always displayed G. I updated the firmware after which it started showing `E`. Never seen it switching between E and G after that in Bangalore.
Check the firmware of teh phone to see if it is the latest one.
its the latest firmware. i use an Idea connection but when i inserted an Airtel SIM it showed E but another Idea SIM same old G again. But confusing thing is both Idea SIMs are showing E in my HTC phones?!
Old 27th May 2009, 10:54   #4869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

Each tower (called BTS in GSM) broadcasts its capabilities. This is what is shown in your phone. What data rate you get is based on radio conditions, loading etc,. and the modulation and coding is changed accordingly with instructions to do so by the controller.

So now, you could be between two towers with one supporting only GPRS and the other EDGE.

If there is only EDGE, it can support high data rates specific to EDGE or low data rates without dropping down to GPRS (or showing so) as you say.
Old 27th May 2009, 12:10   #4870
Team-BHP Support

Nokia fans Ovi stores is up for official downloads
Old 27th May 2009, 12:35   #4871
Senior - BHPian

Hmm I have no idea what its about but I am registering there
Old 28th May 2009, 01:51   #4872
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Guys ...

When i switch the network selection to manual on my Blackberry i get various carriers ...

now i get

hutch : 2GH
Airtel : 2GX
MTNL : 2GX
Aircel : 2G
Idea : 2GX
Reliance : 2GX

So now what does this signify ? I'm on hutch/vodafone
Old 28th May 2009, 03:55   #4873
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Guys ...

When i switch the network selection to manual on my Blackberry i get various carriers ...

now i get . . . .

So now what does this signify ? I'm on hutch/vodafone
Yeah, one always gets all the signals, but you can select only the one which you are actually registered with.

When roaming, the option is normally limited to more than one carrier, so one can shift across.

Moreover, the phone always keeps a track of all the networks available, so that it can make emergency calls using any available network. I.e. the difference between the phone saying 'emergency calls only' [when any one is available] and 'no service' [when no network of any sort]

Last edited by SLK : 28th May 2009 at 03:58.
Old 28th May 2009, 09:52   #4874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nokia fans Ovi stores is up for official downloads
Thanks Jaggu, for sharing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
Hmm I have no idea what its about but I am registering there
Techno, its like having an extra laptop which is online.

Everything that you have on your phone can be synced on with OVI, everything right from Contacts, To Dos, Calendar items, Pictures, Songs.

Similarly you can upload anything from any source on your OVI account and it will be synced into your phone when you will sync it with OVI.

Cheers.
Old 28th May 2009, 11:11   #4875
aZa
Senior - BHPian

@SLK i know about manual switching of networks but what i wanted to know was

Quote:
hutch : 2GH
Airtel : 2GX
MTNL : 2GX
Aircel : 2G
Idea : 2GX
Reliance : 2GX