Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2009, 20:19   #4846
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrit7 View Post
. . . . works without edge/gprs
It's not an offline map system. . . .
Thats exactly what's offline, where you don't have to download the maps while on the go.
Old 24th May 2009, 23:47   #4847
BHPian

Sorry.
I thought offline would mean no real time gps, where only the map would be available and car position could not be determined. Apologies again
Old 25th May 2009, 10:03   #4848
Senior - BHPian

ok here's a query to the experts in here.

using a motoQ9h for sometime now after a couple of HTCs. noticed that the phone shows only "G" for GPRS on the top and has never shown "E" for EDGE even after changing SIMs and trying other networks as well. And yes was getting EDGE on my HTCs.

When i queried Moto's customer care about this issue, this is the reply i got:

"Thank you for writing us at Motorola Customer Care.

With reference to your mail regarding MOTO Q9h, we would like to inform you that this is EDGE enabled handset and according to the requirement of data transfer speed, it will automatically enable Edge feature."

If a network is EDGE enabled which most networks are these days, then is not the phone supposed to show EDGE?

or am i paranoid?
Old 25th May 2009, 11:43   #4849
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
ok here's a query to the experts in here.

using a motoQ9h for sometime now after a couple of HTCs. noticed that the phone shows only "G" for GPRS on the top and has never shown "E" for EDGE even after changing SIMs and trying other networks as well. And yes was getting EDGE on my HTCs.
EDGE is just a fast GPRS, so I won't be surprised if some brands choose not to show EDGE separately. Nokias and Windows show E for EDGE.

If I can recall correctly, this was the case with another Moto phone I saw with someone in office. I guess they just don't show EDGE.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:02   #4850
Senior - BHPian

In EDGE-capable phones, the phone switches between GPRS and EDGE based on signal strength. So, if the radio section sensitivity is poorer than another handset's, in the same place that one would be in GPRS mode and the other in EDGE.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:26   #4851
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
In EDGE-capable phones, the phone switches between GPRS and EDGE based on signal strength. So, if the radio section sensitivity is poorer than another handset's, in the same place that one would be in GPRS mode and the other in EDGE.
I doubt that!, That happens with 3g, but not EDGE as far as I know.

I have never seen my Nokia show anything other than 'E' in Delhi, even if it's about to lose all signal [i.e. very poor signal]

EDGE is same as GPRS, its just a better protocol you can say! It doesn't need better signal to work.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:44   #4852
Team-BHP Support

E will drop to G when signal strength is weak in Bangalore, i have experience it in Nokia, Win Mob and iPhone. And where there is no E (like far out places/towns) it will show G.
Old 25th May 2009, 12:46   #4853
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLK View Post
That reminds me of the nokia maps. It tried to make me miss ALL the flyovers on the outer ring road [Delhi].
It has more to do with the maps and the way the software reads it. More like human error in the coding!

The names of places in our parts have been done without much care taken. I am sure they should have had somebody with a little local knowledge to help them.

Namewise, I am staying in a road which is parallel to ours, though the position corresponds to my own house and street.

I am sure in future all these things would be corrected.

Last edited by trrk : 25th May 2009 at 12:47.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:05   #4854
aZa
Senior - BHPian

The maps on the nokia are pretty old, infact they are pretty similar to google maps which itself is like 4-5yrs old. Like Greater noida is still not present in Google maps, The maps ends half way on the EXPRESSWAY. So the newer flyovers and all are obviously absent.

I used MAP my INDIA for a short while, the maps were very detailed. It helped us navigate through congested suburb in Agra, Delhi maps on map my india are very detailed too.
Old 25th May 2009, 14:41   #4855

Quote:
Don't know about windows mobile, but I get a feeling its not the best thing to buy a High end windows phone at this point. Within the next 1 year windows mobile 7 should be out and would probably not be an upgrade option to the version 6.

7 is expected to be a class apart as far as interface is concerned, i.e. it'll be comparable to the iphone with the flexibility and expandable-ty of windows.

For a phone that is really functional you should try the Nokia line-up for now.

Lot of emailing - E71
Otherwise - N79 or N82

I've a N82, and its camera is indispensable.

As for gps, all these phone have gps but you'll have to pay for the full navigation packages, no matter what phone you buy.

Was just checking gsm arena and to my surprise, N82 is the second highest rated phone, only next to xperia! Statistics - GSMArena.com
hi slk,
i too own N82 but the thing is i could not browse web through wi fi and each time when i try to do so in a secured wi fi zone(even in my home) it simply displays "no gateway reply" do you have any solution or suggestion to set it right?
Old 25th May 2009, 15:08   #4856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... even if it's about to lose all signal [i.e. very poor signal]

EDGE is same as GPRS, its just a better protocol you can say! It doesn't need better signal to work.
I don't think you can be convinced unless you read the standards! As far as the signal strength is concerned, at lower signal levels, the noise is too high to guarantee successful packet delivery at the EDGE bit-rates, hence the downshifting to GPRS. EDGE and GPRS are the same only in functionality, the bit rates and other internal considerations are different.

The 'very poor signal' that you define is at a certain amplification factor of the radio section. The handset increases or decreases the amp factor based on the actual radio signal strength and data loss being experienced. This optimizes the battery power consumption under varying conditions. The bars that you see on the handset are only indicating a relative level within that factor.

Observe carefully and you will be able to see the display go down to 1 bar and then jump to 5 after a delay. If it didn't, the radio signal is just too weak, else it has been able to adjust by increasing amplification. In your case the signal level would have been just about good enough for the E not to switch to G. The old Motorola's radio may not be good enough to do that under the same conditions, so it stays at G.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr_ind View Post
... each time when i try to do so in a secured wi fi zone(even in my home) it simply displays "no gateway reply" do you have any solution or suggestion to set it right?
I use N82 also, and sometimes I get the same problem. Haven't been able to figure out why, but the data traffic goes through properly as soon as I reset the WiFi Access Point or Router.

Last edited by DerAlte : 25th May 2009 at 15:26.
Old 25th May 2009, 15:09   #4857
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmr_ind View Post
hi slk,
i too own N82 but the thing is i could not browse web through wi fi and each time when i try to do so in a secured wi fi zone(even in my home) it simply displays "no gateway reply" do you have any solution or suggestion to set it right?
Ok, well, there could be 2 things,

1) Ensure your wireless gives IP addresses automatically. i.e. DHCP is on.

2) On certain wireless adapters there is this feature called WMM (Wireless Multimedia). Disable that

Quote:
The 'very poor signal' that you define is at a certain amplification factor of the radio section. The handset increases or decreases the amp factor based on the actual radio signal strength and data loss being experienced. This optimizes the battery power consumption under varying conditions. The bars that you see on the handset are only indicating a relative level within that factor.

Observe carefully and you will be able to see the display go down to 1 bar and then jump to 5 after a delay. If it didn't, the radio signal is just too weak, else it has been able to adjust by increasing amplification. In your case the signal level would have been just about good enough for the E not to switch to G. The old Motorola's radio may not be good enough to do that under the same conditions, so it stays at G.
Well then I guess, my phone's got a very good radio .

Last edited by SLK : 25th May 2009 at 15:24.
Old 25th May 2009, 15:12   #4858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't think you can be convinced unless you read the standards!
Or come to HSR 6th sector plenty of black holes which will get you the desired result

Thanks Der now i understand the actual technical side of this phenomenon also.
Old 25th May 2009, 15:33   #4859
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Or come to HSR 6th sector plenty of black holes which will get you the desired result

Thanks Der now i understand the actual technical side of this phenomenon also.
EDGE can modulate and code according to radio strength too. You don't need to drop down to GPRS to do that. EDGE uses different modulation to increase the bit rate and also has better coding (the redundant bits) than GPRS.

So if you get GPRS, there is no EDGE but then a phone can show 'G' and support EDGE and vice versa. EDGE is also called EGPRS.

Last edited by srishiva : 25th May 2009 at 15:36.
Old 25th May 2009, 19:03   #4860
Senior - BHPian

so what you guys are saying is that it is not a defect per se and everything's fine?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks