Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2012, 21:59   #8491
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Folks,
I am facing a strange issue on my cell phone. Its a Nokia 6500 Slide with an Idea postpaid connection.
Now every night, exactly at 10.30pm, my calls automatically disconnected , and I have to reconnect. I have status calls with US clients every day, and this is very frustrating if I am disconnected mid sentence. This happens every day without fail and is very irritating. Anybody else, with this issue ?

Last edited by sajo : 20th January 2012 at 22:00.
Old 20th January 2012, 22:38   #8492
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Folks,
I am facing a strange issue on my cell phone. Its a Nokia 6500 Slide with an Idea postpaid connection.
Now every night, exactly at 10.30pm, my calls automatically disconnected , and I have to reconnect. I have status calls with US clients every day, and this is very frustrating if I am disconnected mid sentence. This happens every day without fail and is very irritating. Anybody else, with this issue ?
Most probability, it's the Idea network causing it. I had experienced this with Vodafone in Chennai. Because of similar frustrating experiences as yours, I approached their support team and finally a technical guy admitted that it's because of some sort of switching happening in the cell tower to which I was locked on to, and there's hardly anything they can do about that until an upgrade happened.

You can however verify if it indeed is the network by using another handset.
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2012, 22:49   #8493
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yes, I believe it is network based only. Reason being, the "3G" network strength icon is replaced by the normal (2G) range bars as soon as this happens.
Old 21st January 2012, 16:26   #8494
BHPian

Quote:
^^ Yes, I believe it is network based only. Reason being, the "3G" network strength icon is replaced by the normal (2G) range bars as soon as this happens.
I was facing same problem with Airtel Mumbai while i had 3g service active the calls used get disconnected, after i discontinued 3g service and opted for 2g gprs the problem was solved.

All you can do is select the network to GSM rather than Dual Mode when you make any important call.

Last edited by driving_smartly : 21st January 2012 at 16:27.
Old 22nd January 2012, 14:17   #8495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, the 3G network provided in India is still in its growing stage. Nobody provides a very reliable service. While using data services, disruptions to connectivity, poor speed, etc and while on call, difficulty in connecting, fluctuation in signal strength and consequent variation in call clarity etc continue to cripple the services.

Use 3G only when you need it, such as for browsing, video calls, etc. When all you need is to make a call, or send a text, stay locked to GSM itself. Improves battery life as well.
Old 22nd January 2012, 21:04   #8496
BHPian

I want to gift my father a dual sim phone. He just uses the phone for making calls and SMS's. A good camera would be nice to have. But the most important criteria is that the phone should NOT be 'Made in China'. Are Nokia phones manufactured in China? I was having Asha in mind. Any Samsung phones that can be considered?
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:20   #8497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
I want to gift my father a dual sim phone. He just uses the phone for making calls and SMS's. A good camera would be nice to have. But the most important criteria is that the phone should NOT be 'Made in China'. Are Nokia phones manufactured in China? I was having Asha in mind. Any Samsung phones that can be considered?
I guess Asha range of phones are "Made in India". But I'm not sure if it's "completely" made in India. Their parts are sourced from china and taiwan. But hey, the best person to ask this question will be iGyaan's Bharat Nagpal https://twitter.com/Djkrimp OR here Posts by Bharat Nagpal | iGyaan.in
creative420 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:40   #8498
Senior - BHPian

Low end Nokias are manufactured in India.
DerAlte is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:46   #8499
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Unless you buy "Chinese Nokia phones", there's nothing wrong in buying Nokia phones that are made in China. They have the same QA processes all over the world.

The no-frills Nokia phones are made in their factory in Sriperumbudur, Chennai.

Used to have friends working in Nokia, and hence I can vouch for the info above
silversteed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:35   #8500
Senior - BHPian

The price of the Nokia Lumia 710 has been slashed to 15.6k on Flipkart, which now makes it pretty good value for money. Considering it has got a 1.4Ghz processor, 512MB RAM and HD recording too from its 5 MP Camera.
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:40   #8501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The price of the Nokia Lumia 710 has been slashed to 15.6k on Flipkart, which now makes it pretty good value for money. Considering it has got a 1.4Ghz processor, 512MB RAM and HD recording too from its 5 MP Camera.
2 issues with Lumia 710:
- Only 8 GB memory
- micro-SIM support

If these 2 issues don't bother you, it will be a good buy at this price.

Rohan
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:44   #8502
BHPian

I just picked up a Samsung Omnia W yesterday, and i love it . One issue though, when i load Bing Maps, i get no menu features... . All i can see is the map and my location. All i can do is move around the map. What could be the problem?
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:55   #8503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My 4 year old 'made in China' Nokia has withstood so much abuse that present day phones will yield within a month under such abuse.

The perception that made in china is bad is wrong (I can't believe I am saying this, I am eating my own words here)

I have dropped it nothing less than 20-30 times, its been completely drenched thrice, survived two accidents. Once while running fast I tripped and my phone flew a good twenty feet, its still good to go. 4 years,500 hours of talking, thousands of texts, hours of gaming and it still looks good to go for another year. And oh, still running on the original battery,I get two days back-up.

Last edited by sachinj12 : 23rd January 2012 at 14:57.
Old 23rd January 2012, 15:39   #8504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
I just picked up a Samsung Omnia W yesterday, and i love it . One issue though, when i load Bing Maps, i get no menu features... . All i can see is the map and my location. All i can do is move around the map. What could be the problem?
Bing Maps aren't released for India yet.

Try one thing : when you set up your phone thru' the Windows Live ID, configure the Live ID in US; that's when Bing Maps and a host of other features like Local Scout and integrated Shazam in the search feature are activated.
Old 23rd January 2012, 16:07   #8505
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Bing Maps aren't released for India yet.

Try one thing : when you set up your phone thru' the Windows Live ID, configure the Live ID in US; that's when Bing Maps and a host of other features like Local Scout and integrated Shazam in the search feature are activated.
Do i need to delete my existing Live ID and register a new one?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks