Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:07   #8401
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull76 View Post
Does anyone have a discount coupon for Letsbuy? AMEXLB is not working . I am planning to buy a mobile phone. Thanks in advance
try LB5POFF to get 5% off.
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:35   #8402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
Remember Windows phone is a concept copy of iOS, so they have many of the same restrictions like iOS.
more like a blind copy. MS doesn't seem to get what works in iOS and what's an intentional landmine left by Mr Jobs.

Seriously,copying a deficiency?
Old 4th December 2011, 09:40   #8403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Please do post a brief user experience if you can. I'm very interested in this device as well. Deciding between BB and E6 as a second phone. I'm leaning towards this for Nokia's brilliant maps + GPS capabilities and battery life.
was stuck in work so couldnt respond earlier. you would have found good reviews online as well, but below is what I found with my E6.

Overall the feature set which E6 has to offer in that price, its a clear winner. (I purchased from Croma for Rs.16500 and by paying 300 extra to HDFC CCard, converted to 3 month emi.)
my take, in that price range, BB could offer Curve-3G (rs.13K), which has low processor, less MP cam, no touch.

2nd day of purchased itself, I updated all apps including India maps. I have kept A-GPS on and found GPS lock taking very long at my home on 5th floor. But on roads, GPS locks within 10-15 seconds itself. The map quality is great, has pinch-zoom & touch enabled; I wander on some trails, though I havnt used for any route selection yet. I've also installed Google Maps (online data GPRS!), but as of now this doesnt have pinch-zoom.

In real life, battery is not so great. I'd say, on the phone you need to do some optimizations to increase battery life eg. Wifi - dont scan, close unwanted live home screens, close apps from memory not used etc. bluetooth for headset does consume a bar atleast by day. You can find lot of such tweaks online. For a heavy user, he may need to charge by day-end, which I feel is ok to say. But dont worry, for typically office user, this wont be an issue.
My case: Fully charge by 8.00am before I start for office. During the day, I talk for 1.5+ hours, many times explore the menus (new gadgets are vulnerable to be exploited by their owners !), corp email pulls every 15 min on gprs, few sms, bluetooth for headset - by night its 30-40% drained (2-3 bars down). which is fairly ok, as +50% is still there to enjoy. hope you god the point.

During a call, the loud speaker is not very good. dont use for a conf-call even in closed cabin. Music quality is acceptable considering this as a corporate phone and not a music gadget. Overall the UI is superb and practical for day to day usage. The 8MP cam is decent, which has Geo-Tagging.

There is this infamous issue of notification light: Nokia Support Discussions - Nokia E6 doesn

last week I contacted Nokia Support email. they didnt respond exactly on this issue, but asked to contact Nokia Support shop. but as per forum also, the replacement d-pad may take few weeks for India.

Nevertheless, Ovi Store has a solution developed by user "ayush3090" : RemindMe (free lite OR paid pro Rs.125) Nokia Store: Download Remind Me and many other games, wallpaper, ringtones and mobile apps on your Nokia phone

Nokia E6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - as per this article, newer device may get this sorted, not sure for India import schedule.

You may also want to check: Nokia Care Protect - Nokia - India which is 2nd year extended warranty. I have checked from support email, for E6 is Rs.499 and could be purchased from any Nokia Priority shop.

Finally, the E6 is surely a very good phone and you wont regret.

feel free to revert in case of any query.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 11:43   #8404
BHPian

Hi guys,

I was just scavenging through Tbhp, that i reachd this thread!
i had no information of gadgets thread on Tbhp,

anyways,

I own a Nokia e6, bought for 17k just when it was launched, it is a good phone but i am not quite satisfied with it, with the way it performs, have used the nokia e63 before this and the only improvement i must say is the quality of the graphics and the camera. thats it

i am surprised to find, that even at this price range, Nokia didnt offer a Auto focus camera and a normal camera with stupid names like fixed focus and EODF, though picture quality is great but it has to be atleast 20 cms away.

To be honest i expected a lot in this package, but it not even near the territory of what others have to offer.

Any more details i would love to share!

Cheerio!
Old 5th December 2011, 22:43   #8405
BHPian

Anyone using the Samsung Focus (i917) here?
Old 6th December 2011, 12:22   #8406
BHPian

I use Samsung Galaxy I551. Its a Froyo 2.2 based smart phone with a slide out qwerty keyboard.

I just love this phone, it is like a mini laptop to me. The only drawback is the limited phone memory which is 300 MB.

Regards,
Sushil.
Old 8th December 2011, 20:27   #8407
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil.H View Post
I just love this phone, it is like a mini laptop to me. The only drawback is the limited phone memory which is 300 MB.
Low memory is not a drawback for an Android phone. You can root, and then use applications like a2sd, which fool the phone thinking that a dedicated partition on your card is actually phone's internal memory.

IIRC, even Froyo allows you to move applications to the sd-card.

BTW, we have an Android thread here.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:23   #8408
TOR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
Anyone using the Samsung Focus (i917) here?
Was interested in the phone, heard the samples on ebay-the AT&T varieties have EDGE/GPRS lock issues with frequent disconnections.

Otherwise its a great phone and a really great buy at the current prices.
Old 9th December 2011, 12:33   #8409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Was interested in the phone, heard the samples on ebay-the AT&T varieties have EDGE/GPRS lock issues with frequent disconnections.
Otherwise its a great phone and a really great buy at the current prices.
hmm. Looked interesting to me for the price. 'was looking for some feedback from people using the ebay version, but didn't find anyone so I went ahead and ordered it anyway.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2011 at 14:08. Reason: As per your reported post
Old 9th December 2011, 20:57   #8410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Low memory is not a drawback for an Android phone. You can root, and then use applications like a2sd, which fool the phone thinking that a dedicated partition on your card is actually phone's internal memory.

IIRC, even Froyo allows you to move applications to the sd-card.

BTW, we have an Android thread here.
I was a bit skeptical about rooting the android phone, because i was scared that it may void the warranty.
Yes Froyo allows to move the applications to the sd-card, but it still has a flaw. Sometimes the applications installed on SD-Card don't load at all, sometimes they do. I think they got rid of this bug in 2.3 .

Now i have installed all the important applications in Phone memory, and the others on SD card.And to manage the problem of limited ram and battery usage I use Advanced Task Killer.

Regards,
Sushil.
Old 11th December 2011, 11:50   #8411
BHPian

Hello, I am looking for an Android phone under 10k. My requirements are that the screen resolution should be good like 320x480 and processor should be around 800 Mhz. I have finalised these models. HTC Explorer, LG Optimus Net, Sony Ericsson Live. Between these which is best and could you please suggest some more android phones under the budget? Hope to hear soon.

Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 12:06   #8412
TOR
BHPian

@HappyRoadie - have a look at the Dell XCD35 also-immense VFM, with higher resolution screen which itself at 3.5" is larger and lot of community support.
Old 11th December 2011, 18:35   #8413
Senior - BHPian

Roadie dada,

come over on the android thread - u're asking on the wrong thread and i agree with TOR. either XCD35 or Idea Blade (same phones) - latter is MRP 7992!!

That said - i am in the market for a secondary phone - or maybe primary. The Motorola defy stays. But I want a FAST (that rules out cheap prev gen nokias) qwerty phone that does email well. It would have been the blackberry if it was not for my organization not supporting blackberry at all. and I hate symbian. E6 is lovely but oh so symbian old style its not funny (nokia store is so painful after android that i cant buy a new phone)

Otherwise it may have been the Motorola FIRE XT311 - Full phone specifications - but the specs are crap.

Is there a quick (800 mhz+ 512 MB ram) candybar qwerty with/without a touchscreen that has a 320x480 display on atleast a 2.8-3" display?
Old 11th December 2011, 18:44   #8414
TOR
BHPian

@phamilyman do have a look at the HTC Chacha

Otherwise the SE Xperia Mini Pro does perform much better but with the slide out keyboard.
Old 13th December 2011, 12:30   #8415
Senior - BHPian

Windows Phone 7.5 in India

Nokia Lumia 800 (available for pre-order at Nokia dealers) is likely to be released on 15th Dec for a price of Rs 29,999. There is no sign of Lumia 710, whose expected price is 20K.

Similarly speced Samsung Omnia W is available for pre-order on Flipkart for Rs 20,900. Flipkart is throwing in bluetooth headset (Rs 1100) & car charger (Rs 260) with this deal. Even without the deal, Omnia W is VFM - compared to all Windows Phones so far. Except for slightly better designed outer shell (which is same as N9), there is nothing else going for Lumia 800. IMO, 800 is overpriced by at least 6K.

PS: Nokia gives 2 apps with WP7.5 (Nokia Drive & Nokia Maps), which is not available on non-Nokia WP7.5. Not sure if anybody will miss these apps. Similarly, Samsung has Samsung Zone apps & HTC has few WP7 apps.

Last edited by msdivy : 13th December 2011 at 12:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks