Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 09:35   #8386
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
But what about the signal booster? Would it help?
They are too expensive and not worth it. Best is to change operators. If signal is marginal then check out a BB. They have better sensitivity than most others.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 18:21   #8387
BHPian

I had put my queries/views on this thread few days back. After lot of thinking & reading, finally purchased Nokia E6 Black and now exploring this gizmo.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 23:11   #8388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I doubt changing the cell phone will help unless your current phone is ancient.

I had the exact same problem; my cubicle had 0 connectivity from Vodafone. The problem was faced eqaully by a humble 3310, my Razr2 and a friend's Galaxy S2.

The Govt. did something really wonderful for me - MNP! I switched to Airtel.
I had a similarly different problem. I changed my handset from Nokia to Android based Acer Liquid E Ferrari edition. And there started my problems. When in office and certain other areas in the city, whenever I get a call, I pick, the phone used to restart. Mind you I was/am with Vodafone. A few calls logged with Acer support and they agree its a lemon and i get a brand new replacement. However the issue continued. Any incoming call, Outgoing call, send message - Boom! phone restarts. When I used to come to work - nearing Mekhri circle, the phone restarts. whether I am on a call or not.

So I thought this must be Vodafone playing tricks (as they had just launched 3g). I got a Airtel connection - Absolutely no problem irrespective of the area that I was in.

The govt boon - MNP - didn't work as Vodafone was simply not letting go of a customer who pays them a fat monthly bill. They promised call backs, engineer visits etc but NO Porting code.

Then one engineer came and gave me an old Hutch sim card and that worked like a charm - So it was proved that something ain't right with Vodafone. But they refused to let go of me.

Meantime I was talking to the store from where I had purchased this unit and they were very helpful in coordinating with Acer to recall this handset and get me a credit note for the amount I had purchased the phone for.

So here I am still stuck with "Hutch" showing on my phone but with a different Android device - HTC Evo 3D!
Old 20th November 2011, 21:33   #8389
BHPian

Hey Bhpians can anyone confirm the launch date of Samsung Galaxy W in India? And what is the expected price for the same?
Old 21st November 2011, 18:53   #8390
e46
BHPian

Fellas,
Anyone knows hows the market feedback for Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.5) and at what price is it currently retailing?

Thanks,
Abhishek
Old 23rd November 2011, 11:44   #8391
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I had put my queries/views on this thread few days back. After lot of thinking & reading, finally purchased Nokia E6 Black and now exploring this gizmo.
Please do post a brief user experience if you can. I'm very interested in this device as well. Deciding between BB and E6 as a second phone. I'm leaning towards this for Nokia's brilliant maps + GPS capabilities and battery life.
Old 25th November 2011, 10:59   #8392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by e46 View Post
Fellas,
Anyone knows hows the market feedback for Nokia Lumia 800 (WP 7.5) and at what price is it currently retailing?

Thanks,
Abhishek
Lumia 800 has good feedback overall except for weak battery. Nokia has promised to release an update next month. Not sure how much it will solve the battery woes.

Lumia 800 will compete with HTC Titan and will be priced less than that. Most likely the price will be in the range 27K~30K. But at that price it competes with Samsung Galaxy S2, which wins hands down.
Old 25th November 2011, 11:43   #8393
Senior - BHPian

Why aren't Windows based phones coming with an external memory slot ? Any limitation in the OS ?

8 GB would not be sufficient in today's times.

Rohan
Old 25th November 2011, 11:59   #8394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Why aren't Windows based phones coming with an external memory slot ? Any limitation in the OS ?

Is it so?
I dont know about the recent Win Mobiles, but my HTC Touch Diamond2 does have a external memory slot. I am sure 'lack of slot' has nothing to do with OS limitations.
Old 25th November 2011, 13:25   #8395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky_Balboa View Post
Is it so?
I dont know about the recent Win Mobiles, but my HTC Touch Diamond2 does have a external memory slot. I am sure 'lack of slot' has nothing to do with OS limitations.
Nokia Lumia 800, Samsung Focus S, HTC Titan - no external memory slot.

Just checked that Nokia Lumia 710 has an external memory slot. Go I guess it can't be an OS limitation like I thought.

Still, what may be the reason behind this trend of not providing external memory slot ?

Rohan
Old 25th November 2011, 14:06   #8396
BHPian

Quote:

Still, what may be the reason behind this trend of not providing external memory slot ?
Maybe the 16Gig internal storage on these mobiles is more than enough for an average user. I have a 8Gig card on my mobile but have hardly 2Gig of data in it, at any given point of time.
Old 25th November 2011, 14:25   #8397
BHPian

Quote:

Just checked that Nokia Lumia 710 has an external memory slot. Go I guess it can't be an OS limitation like I thought.

Rohan
The SD Slot in a Windows Phone device doesn't work like the normal SD slot in Android phones. This is an OS limitation. If the manufacturers provide an SD slot, they would provide the SD card too alongwith it. The OS considers this SD card as part of the flash memory and you cannot change or remove it. If it comes with an empty slot, you cannot buy and insert your own card. The phone won't recognize it. Remember Windows phone is a concept copy of iOS, so they have many of the same restrictions like iOS.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 14:39   #8398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Rohan
More than a limitation, its the restriction from OS. Like iPhone, WP7 doesn't recommend upgrade of memory. But, if there is a memory card slot in WP7, its possible to use it. But you have to reset the phone.

Acer Allegro (WP7, to be launched on 30th Nov) has an external card slot along with 8GB internal memory.
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:37   #8399
BHPian

Does anyone have a discount coupon for Letsbuy? AMEXLB is not working . I am planning to buy a mobile phone. Thanks in advance
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:55   #8400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Another scary situation: Assange: 'iPhone, BlackBerry, Gmail users - you're all screwed' ? The Register
Quote:
  • Surveillance companies can use your iPhone to take photos of you and your surroundings without your knowledge
  • Companies also sell products that will let them change the messages you write, track your location and nick your email contacts
  • Phone could be used to record and send information about you even when it is in stand-by mode. Data included location, recordings of your conversations and even photographs

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks