Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2011, 10:05   #8311
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Does Microsoft Windows Phone 7 OS have any application to record GPS logs? Say, something like My Tracks.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: My cousin is planning to buy any Microsoft Windows Phone 7 and asked me to check if any app exists or not.
Old 7th October 2011, 18:44   #8312
Senior - BHPian

Anybody with HTC Evo 3D? I got it a couple of days ago and I am over-awed by it! Amazing piece of a smartphone!
Old 7th October 2011, 18:57   #8313
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Does Microsoft Windows Phone 7 OS have any application to record GPS logs? Say, something like My Tracks.

Thanks in anticipation.

PS: My cousin is planning to buy any Microsoft Windows Phone 7 and asked me to check if any app exists or not.
Here's the thing. All the Apps on WP 7.5 (ie Mango) run on Marketplace; and Marketplace has not been launched in India *yet*. It has been almost a year since Windows phones have been in India.

There is a work around of course; the Windows live account you create (mandatory when you use a WP); mention the location as US. Now, you get access to Marketplace and all the Apps. BUT BUT, all the Apps are US-based; hence all the Maps/GPS Apps too.

All the good ones are charged and most hardly work in India.

The in-built Maps App in the phone is mainly a GPS tracker; no logs.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2011, 00:07   #8314
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Anyways my dad is mainly going to use the phone for calling and SMS. Smart and elegant looks are a must. Never listens to music so even an average music player would suffice. Same thing goes for Camera and browsing capabilities. My dad will not be using them but just want to have them in case he feels like using them. Brands like Micromaxx/Lava are a strict no. Only Nokia/Samsung/HTC/LG preferred. Budget is around 13k-15k. He does not have much experience of touch phones but is not against them. But he likes the traditional bar phone. Also he would prefer a compact phone and not the bulky big ones. Note that weight is not an issue but the size can be an issue.
Might I recommend the Nokia C-3 with the QWERTY keypad?
Very well below your budget, at around 6-6.5K, but it has WiFi, internet browsing, a music player, a 2MP camera, a good battery, and the QWERTY keyboard would be different and fun (might give the feel of a more expensive phone as well).
Alternately, if most of his friends are using a smart phone such as a Blackberry, get him one as well. BBM is great with staying in touch with your friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I don't want to sound like a Nokia fanboy (because I'm actually a Sony Ericsson fanboy ), but I feel that Nokia may be lagging behind in the high end smartphone race , but it would not be correct to write them off as yet.

IMHO, Nokia still makes the best mid range smart phones which provide the best bang for your buck. For example, the upcoming Nokia 600 has a 3.2 inch capacitive display with nHD resolution, 1 GHz processor, 2 GB internal memory, pentaband connectivity, wifi, GPS, bluetooth 3.0, NFC, FM Tx, internal FM Rx, 5 MP still camera, 720p HD video recording, 15 hrs talktime, 60 hrs music playback and much more.

Show me one phone which provides such features at 13k INR and I will be the first person to bash Nokia.

Rohan
I completely agree. Was in the market for a second phone recently, and wanted something with a good battery life. Was looking for a basic phone, at a low cost as this was to be my second phone purely for making calls and texts for work. However, once I stumbled upon the Nokia C3 at 6K, I was quite impressed. It has the same features as a 9K Blackberry, with fewer bugs (or so it seems), and no BBM & App world. For a mid-range buyer who seeks VFM, this is ideal as many of them will not see the need in BBM and a better app world (the Nokia has the Ovi Store). In fact, most of the people I have seen have a Nokia, if not a BB and Androids and iPhones. And those who have two phones, normally have a Nokia as the second one.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:41   #8315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Might I recommend the Nokia C-3 with the QWERTY keypad?
Thanks for the suggestion. But the problem is we already have a C3 in the family. Just got one a month back for my sister. Ofcourse there is no rule not to buy it again but then having two similar phones doesnt feel right. I have had good experiences with Nokia and Motorola and wanted to try some different brand this time. LG or Samsung perhaps. ANy offerings in these brands?
Old 8th October 2011, 16:49   #8316
BANNED

@Saanil - LG Optimus 500 / 660. 9 or 13K respectively.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:54   #8317
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. But the problem is we already have a C3 in the family. Just got one a month back for my sister. Ofcourse there is no rule not to buy it again but then having two similar phones doesnt feel right. I have had good experiences with Nokia and Motorola and wanted to try some different brand this time. LG or Samsung perhaps. ANy offerings in these brands?
Well, other phones I looked at were the Samsung Galaxy Android line up. Was very close to getting one of those, but better sense kicked in, as I have a Blackberry as my primary phone, and two hi-tech phones would've been a waste. The Nokia offered me all what I wanted.
Another option is the Blackberry Curve/Bold 3. Not as reliable, but has the brand value and differentiation factor you are looking for. You can even look at the BB Torch which has a touch screen and a slider with keys, though it will be a little over your budget.
Old 8th October 2011, 17:07   #8318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
@Saanil - LG Optimus 500 / 660. 9 or 13K respectively.
Looks good. But the LG India site does not have the 660 in their list? Is it possible this model was not launched in India? Flipkart shows only LG Optimus 500. The models look good for my dad though. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 8th October 2011, 17:58   #8319
BANNED

Quote:
Looks good. But the LG India site does not have the 660 in their list? Is it possible this model was not launched in India? Flipkart shows only LG Optimus 500. The models look good for my dad though. Thanks for the suggestion!

The 660:- (Ok - I was wrong about the pricing)

Flipkart.com: LG Optimus Pro C660: Mobile

Flipkart.com: LG Optimus One P500: Mobile

What I use:-

Flipkart.com: Samsung Galaxy Pop S5570: Mobile

Flipkart.com: Sony Ericsson Xperia Mini ST15i: Mobile

I am not recommending/ referring the site - have not used it before. Use that as a starting point. Where possible, buy one with 2.3 version of android.

Edit:- re-read your original query. If you can go higher in teh budget range, there are other options. Some qwerty android phones too are available in sub 10K range - esp from Moto. But I do suggest he try touch phone. Though at my young age, I too 3/4 days to get used to touch screen, with swype keyboard and some patience and getting used to, things are back to normal business within 3/4 days.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 8th October 2011 at 18:03.
Old 10th October 2011, 17:56   #8320
BHPian

Looking for a mobile for my dad. He uses it only for calls and reading smses. Nothing more. He needs a mobile with descent battery life and colour screen. Bigger display would help. Regular candy bar phone. Any suggestions?

Budget is around 3K + or - 500. I checked Nokia 2700, 2690 and 2700. Any other suggestions?

How are Samsung mobile in this range?
Old 10th October 2011, 19:13   #8321
BANNED

I own a 2690. Crap. Forget it. Even wife does not want it. But does show some huge text. Very low battery life.

Samsung has close to 10 models at that price range - including touch phones with 2.4 in display. Look for "champ" and "chat" variants. LG seems to have very good looking phones with 2.4 inch screens - but they cost around 3.8K.

Battery life depends a lot on network and actual area you use. For example, On my X2, 5130 and 2690, on Idea network battery needs to be recharged every 3rd day. After a 230 KM x 2 train journey, the battery is drained. On same phones, with BSNL network, charge lasts 3-4 days and 60% + battery remaining after the journey.
Old 11th October 2011, 16:32   #8322
BHPian

Thanks. I will check it out. Budget is now upto 4K. I need a good one for my dad. Does Sony Ericsson have any in that range?

Will checkout Nokia and Samsung this weekend. Letsbuy and Flipcart don't have many in stock. Its either Univercell or Sangeetha for me now.
Old 12th October 2011, 22:55   #8323
BHPian

Anyone with Motorola Defy here?
Currently upgraded it to Froyo 2.2.2, need advice on rooting & going ahead with official CM7.1 (GB 2.3.7). If anyone has used Custom GB on Defy before, need advise regarding CPU Usage , battery usage & specially the temperature, as currently my defy heats a lot (goes till 42-43degC.) if using internet/ browser for longer time...

(Dear Mods, can we open a new thread for Device specific discussions?)
Old 13th October 2011, 08:55   #8324
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Anyone with Motorola Defy here?
Currently upgraded it to Froyo 2.2.2, need advice on rooting & going ahead with official CM7.1 (GB 2.3.7). If anyone has used Custom GB on Defy before, need advise regarding CPU Usage , battery usage & specially the temperature, as currently my defy heats a lot (goes till 42-43degC.) if using internet/ browser for longer time...

(Dear Mods, can we open a new thread for Device specific discussions?)

We have an android thread for that. Come over.
Old 14th October 2011, 22:59   #8325
BHPian

Unbelievable but game changer.

832 MHz processor + Android 2.3 phone + 2GB card included = which is ~ 7.3K.

It is Samsung Galaxy Y S5360. If you compromise with camera, it is a good budget phone as on now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks