Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2013, 18:24   #9901
BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Hey guys needed your advice.
I am planning to buy a new phone with a budget of 10k (+1k). Looked at the options in the market. I just don't like android(no offence to any owner). My mom has a Samsung Galaxy Grand and it keeps giving some or the other trouble every 15 days. So that leaves me with only two options : A windows phone or a blackberry.
I loved the looks of Nokia Lumia 520 but don't know how good is the phone. I even saw the Blackberry 9220 but just didn't seem to like it.
Any help regarding this matter would be highly appreciated.

P.S. I currently own a Nokia E5 and totally vouch for Nokia's build quality(my phone fell from from 4th floor and it still works!!!).
Old 20th June 2013, 18:55   #9902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
OK so this is how it works. Samsung is giving dealers 7 thousand rupees off on the price. The rest three thousand comes from the phone that you are going to exchange. If the phone dealer thinks your phone is worth 3k's used, he will take it else he won't. My friend owns a mobile shop and this information comes from him.
The phone is available without exchange for 27xxx online. So the complicated exchange offer just doesnt make sense. Here are the details I found on some site

http://www.tradus.com/samsung-galaxy...ff-IA-cuelinks

Select Seller " Mysore_Electronics"

Use Coupon “MAIL10” to get this for Rs.27999/-

Use Coupon “MFLAT10” to get this for Rs.28149/-

Disclaimer: Have not tried the coupons

gopinathann: The HD2 is a brilliant piece of hardware. At least for its time. I am saying this even after owning a piece that had heating issues and finally died in less than 2 years. But man, in the 2 years I had it I had like 4 dozen different custom ROM's. Both windows and Android
Old 21st June 2013, 21:24   #9903
BHPian

Yes, the HD2 is still doing good for me except some touch screen issues and randomly gets restarted, have been using for 4 years, build quality is still great. I can use this as a test device to try different ROMs or give it to my kid for playing games. As per your advice we can get the Note 2 without exchange.

Yesterday I got an update that they are going to stop Note 2, probably the Note 3 is coming so they want to clear the inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
The phone is available without exchange for 27xxx online. So the complicated exchange offer just doesnt make sense. Here are the details I found on some site

Last edited by GTO : 1st July 2013 at 13:54. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 24th June 2013, 15:18   #9904
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
I loved the looks of Nokia Lumia 520 but don't know how good is the phone. I even saw the Blackberry 9220 but just didn't seem to like it. Any help regarding this matter would be highly appreciated.
My wife is using the Lumia 520. Very capable phone. Standard social apps all available at windows market place. Havent tried any of the games. Phone is good no apps lags despite the lower 512MB RAM. Decent battery life. Will last you through a day and a half easily with 3G / Wifi, calling, music and occasional maps. Maps are a good feature it worls without the need for internet.

Hope this helps
Old 24th June 2013, 15:42   #9905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
My wife is using the Lumia 520. Very capable phone. Standard social apps all available at windows market place. Havent tried any of the games. Phone is good no apps lags despite the lower 512MB RAM. Decent battery life. Will last you through a day and a half easily with 3G / Wifi, calling, music and occasional maps. Maps are a good feature it worls without the need for internet.

Hope this helps
Thanks for your reply buddy!
I bought it 2 days back and i am lovin it!
Lovely phone for the price.
Replied using my phone only
Old 25th June 2013, 11:03   #9906
Senior - BHPian

Need feedback on Bluetooth headsets , I am sorry this is not the topic of thread but since it is closely related to mobiles asking it here.

Is anyone here using cheaper bluetooth headsets like iBall Groovy and Amkette trubeats ?Is there any reported problem in pairing them with known brands like Samsung / Nokia etc ? How is the noise cancellation performance

I am looking for a BT stereo headset with A2Dp for both calls and music.

Nokia BH 505 is another option in my mind but I am seeing this on ebay at almost half price are they genuine or fake lookalikes ?
Old 25th June 2013, 11:36   #9907
BHPian

Amazon.in has started selling mobiles. You'll get a 10% discount too...
Old 26th June 2013, 19:45   #9908
e46
BHPian

Hi gearheads,

Posting this after a long hibernation. I am very much interested in getting a Nokia 8800 (2004-2005 era) and found no pointers to buy in INdia except for a seller Maruthienterprises, charging INR 16k, and shipped from Hong Kong. Is this a legitimate/ trustworthy dealer or these are refurbished pieces. I have long dreamt of owning this beauty.

The link is http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-BRANDED-N...-/140786685926

Could you please comment. Does octroi, customs make it a cumbersone process. Those who have placed overseas orders like these, please let me know.

Abhishek
Old 27th June 2013, 10:58   #9909
BHPian

Any news about MMX Canvas 4. Pricing,specs etc.
Old 27th June 2013, 12:52   #9910
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Quick Query to the Gurus here!

For me a phone has to be good at the following:
1. Calls
2. SMS
3. WhatsApp etc
4. An excellent point and shoot Camera is a necessity for me
5. Email (for personal and office) - but some small time lag here is perfectly fine -I will never buy a BB because I hate them as a concept.
6. A few apps here and there - news etc for example
7. Sat Nav capability with constant map updates and turn by turn voice guidance

I find that my one and a half year old Nokia N8 does all these jobs admirably. When supported by a 3.5 to 4G network as I discovered recently on a trip abroad, it works amazingly well compared to my India 2G network.

Given all of the above, do you think it makes sense for me to consider buying the brand new Nokia 808 which operates on Symbian Belle despite the fact that Nokia has come out with Windows Lumia phones and there are other excellent technologies like the iPhone etc available?
Quote:
Originally Posted by inder_s1 View Post
You want a replacement for point and shoot ? If you read the blogs , 808 is being compared to High end DSLRs like Canon MKIII which costs $4300 with lens.
I have the exact same usage pattern. I did try Android, found it alright, not really great. Battery drain on my current droid is a serious issue.

And I too am a recent Apple convert (IPad Mini). Now that my mother in law needs a new phone, I am planning to pass my current droid to her and buy a new phone for myself.

Does the Nokia 808 make sense even now? How has your experience been? Would really appreciate a feedback.

Last edited by Eddy : 29th June 2013 at 13:46. Reason: Please do not quote a big post, it hampers readability for our mobile users. Thanks
Old 27th June 2013, 19:00   #9911
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post

I have the exact same usage pattern. I did try Android, found it alright, not really great. Battery drain on my current droid is a serious issue.

And I too am a recent Apple convert (IPad Mini). Now that my mother in law needs a new phone, I am planning to pass my current droid to her and buy a new phone for myself.

Does the Nokia 808 make sense even now? How has your experience been? Would really appreciate a feedback.
Mate
Ive deserted the ranks of Nokia users and waddled off to Apple i4s around 9 months ago or so...
808 is super in terms of camera but now after apple I m not going back there...
Cheers!
Old 29th June 2013, 11:17   #9912
BHPian

Pre-booked the Micromax Canvas-4 on their website. Launch is on 8th July. Price and specs will be revealed on the same day.
Old 1st July 2013, 00:10   #9913
BHPian

Got the Note 2 today which is the last day for the offer. Went to Poorvika and exchanged my HTC HD2 (installed WP7 2 days back as it was originally windows). They verified it and accepted and got the cash back of 10K, and used the HDFC card for 6 months EMI without interest. There was no piece available in any of the store and waited for 1 hour to get it from other stores at last, couldn't get white and left with grey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Yes, the HD2 is still doing good for me except some touch screen issues and randomly gets restarted, have been using for 4 years, build quality is still great. I can use this as a test device to try different ROMs or give it to my kid for playing games. As per your advice we can get the Note 2 without exchange.

Yesterday I got an update that they are going to stop Note 2, probably the Note 3 is coming so they want to clear the inventory.
Old 1st July 2013, 12:46   #9914
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopinathann View Post
Got the Note 2 today which is the last day for the offer. Went to Poorvika and exchanged my HTC HD2 (installed WP7 2 days back as it was originally windows). They verified it and accepted and got the cash back of 10K, and used the HDFC card for 6 months EMI without interest. There was no piece available in any of the store and waited for 1 hour to get it from other stores at last, couldn't get white and left with grey.
Basically you have sold your HTC HD2 for 3k's. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, Samsung gave a discount of 7k's to the retailers and the rest comes from the phone which you give them. So if he thinks the phone is atleat worth 3k's or more he will take it else he wont.
Old 1st July 2013, 13:24   #9915
BANNED

Anybody using the HTC Sensation XE?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks