Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2012, 12:39   #9301
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
Well i dont want to go for a nokia as it doesnt have android. Do i have any more options ?
Buy Android only if your parents are tech savy. Parents get irritated with less than a day battery life.

In case it has to be between the three then my experience with HTC is better than Samsung.
Old 14th November 2012, 12:57   #9302
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h
Hi. I'm looking for a voice chat over wi fi capable phone(Dubai to Blr). A quick search returned Spice M6800, MM A25 and Huawei U5510, but I'm not sure if they're Skype, Gtalk or any other voice chat app/software compatible.

A friend said that all android phones are Skype compatible irrespective of the brand and model. If you can confirm that, I'll get the MM A25 right away. I actually wouldn't mind one ordering one from DX, since I won't be putting a SIM in it(IMEI).

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.
Yes, all android phones are Skype capable.
Get a cheap android phone.
I would advise you to buy one from India.

I have a Spice Android phone which cost me o ly 3900 Rupees. HVGA screen and snappy enough for most apps
Old 14th November 2012, 13:32   #9303
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

I have a Spice Android phone which cost me o ly 3900 Rupees. HVGA screen and snappy enough for most apps
Will do just that. Thank you.

Although, Skype claims that their app is compatible with Nokia N81(my spare phone), but it crashes every time I try opening it. Might be worth doing a factory reset or firmware reload before I spend 4k on another.
Old 14th November 2012, 14:25   #9304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Hi. I'm looking for a voice chat over wi fi capable phone(Dubai to Blr). A quick search returned Spice M6800, MM A25 and Huawei U5510, but I'm not sure if they're Skype, Gtalk or any other voice chat app/software compatible.
Why not use a second hand E71 or maybe a friend can give it away- it will have skype video calling also. Voice should work on most, but I would not advise you to buy before research on xda-developers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post

partly true - Most run Skype, but the cheap ones don't do video calling. Check up the exact specs but i think Skype video calls don't happen on ARMv6/v7 or such phones. On the chacha, skype crashes on even trying video Even on my Defy, it is erratic. Of course, his need is voice, but what's the harm if it does video too?
Old 14th November 2012, 14:37   #9305
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Why not use a second hand E71 or maybe a friend can give it away- it will have skype video calling also. Voice should work on most, but I would not advise you to buy before research on xda-developers
I've just given my N81 for a firmware reload. Will try an E71 if my N81 doesn't cut it. Thank you.

Quote:
partly true - Most run Skype, but the cheap ones don't do video calling. Check up the exact specs but i think Skype video calls don't happen on ARMv6/v7 or such phones. On the chacha, skype crashes on even trying video Even on my Defy, it is erratic. Of course, his need is voice, but what's the harm if it does video too?
I use a laptop when I want to video chat. I've never liked the video chat experience on any smart phone.
Old 14th November 2012, 18:12   #9306
BHPian

Quote:
Are you married to Android?

Galaxy Y for instance is a crappy phone with 320x240 screen, its only redeeming feature is the processor.

instead 610 gives you a 800x480 screen in a phone that's quite good, and better with battery than android. though yes, you can't play angry birds on it yet !

android ain't no magic bullet.
i am not married to android ! i saw the the lumia 510 today. It has a great screen and a wonderful touch screen but the major con was that it doesnt support bluetooth file transfer. This is one thing my mom would need all the time. Otherwise its a great phone no doubt.
Old 14th November 2012, 18:36   #9307
Senior - BHPian

I heard that 7.8 update will have this function? not sure how true. has anyone got more info on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.bhardwaj View Post
i am not married to android ! i saw the the lumia 510 today. It has a great screen and a wonderful touch screen but the major con was that it doesnt support bluetooth file transfer. This is one thing my mom would need all the time. Otherwise its a great phone no doubt.
Old 14th November 2012, 20:03   #9308
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
hunji, saw that. Note 2 is ginormously big no? Personally i would not consider any phone more than 4-4.3" else i'll be worried about it slipping out of my shorts etc

nexus 4 is ideal. uber cheap. What do you want? To take baby's life in this money?
Yes, It is HUGE but much better than Note 1, I was of the same opinion on screen size as you until I really started using my Android phone, more screen real estate definitely helps, ofcourse it should be comfortable as a phone too & that's where it fails. The reason why its in consideration is because it would cost just $70 more over the Nexus 4 & S3 costs $30 less & hence the whole confusion. Ofcourse these are contract prices for Note 2 & S3 & oh btw I think I can get an S2 for free which is somewhat tempting too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
May I confuse a bit more?

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_droid_razr_hd-4971.php

Take a look at the new Droid Razr HD. It's got the same chipset as S3 albeit 1GB RAM. Battery is bigger 2530mAh and the phone looks and feels awesome. I got to try this and my S3 side by side and man the S3 just felt cheap. The CF finish back panel and solid feel of the Droid just owns the S3. It was also very snappy to use.
Nah, its on Verizon, I am not on Verizon & have no intention to switch to them.

Quote:
True, my HTC Glacier sucked in doing Skype calls even with what was a good hardware(1GHz proc, 768 RAM) 2 years back on 2.2, it was post 2.3 & a an app update post that, that it started working somewhat better.
Old 14th November 2012, 20:06   #9309
BHPian

The day i bought my iPhone, i had 3G from the first moment. At home wifi was always available. I never felt the need for bluetooth for file transfer as email and whatsapp do the job perfectly. I only use bluetooth for the headset.
I don't think it is a deal breaker for most , otherwise iPhone & lumia wouldn't be selling.

4 years back i would have said how can one live without bluetooth.
Old 15th November 2012, 11:57   #9310
Senior - BHPian

Need some help folks, I'm planning on buying a new phone, have shortlisted the below:-
1) Iphone 5
2) Iphone 4s.
3) Google LG nexus 4.
4) Samsung S3.
5) HTC Windows 8X.

Yes, the iphone 5 is the best, no doubt, but the most expensive as well. So unless it is absolutely required, I would rather not spend that kind of money.
Just to give you a background on my past experiences, I bought one of the first Android phones- A Sony ericsson xperia and had a horrid time. The phone had so many issues, mother board was replaced and the phone was in the service center for 4-5 months out of the 1.5yrs that i owned it. I finally let it go, replacing it with a samung Galaxy ace. The Galaxy ace is not a great phone, but I didnt have options and I figured that I didnt want to spend too much on an android device again considering what I had been thru.
Anyways, things have become better with android 4.0 now and I was thinking of moving to a much better phone. But at the same time I'm also very apprehenisve about the whole experience since Android devices dont seem to be trouble free. I'm not a huge gadget freak, use the phone primarily for personal calls, browsing and some basic apps.{ I carry a BB for official emails and phone calls}.
I was actually quite excited by the reviews of windows 8 devices, but I was wondering if it is the right move considering that every one is on an android or an apple. Windows seems like a big risk.
To me the 4S seems the safest bet, not so expensive, proven, reliable. But at 38.5k, it is just 7k cheaper than the 5.
I read reviews about the nexus 4 and it seems reasonably ok and i think it might be priced around 26-28k in India and seems like a good deal when compared to the 4s or 5.
Need your suggestions.
Old 15th November 2012, 12:08   #9311
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Need some help folks, I'm planning on buying a new phone, have shortlisted the below:-
1) Iphone 5
2) Iphone 4s.
3) Google LG nexus 4.
4) Samsung S3.
5) HTC Windows 8X.

--------------------SNIP------- But at the same time I'm also very apprehenisve about the whole experience since Android devices dont seem to be trouble free. I'm not a huge gadget freak, use the phone primarily for personal calls, browsing and some basic apps.{ I carry a BB for official emails and phone calls}.
------------------------SNIP-------------your suggestions.

Get the 4s, thats the safest for you going by the bold bit.

Also, which xperia did yo buy?
Old 15th November 2012, 12:33   #9312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Get the 4s, thats the safest for you going by the bold bit.

Also, which xperia did yo buy?
my only issue about the 4s is that its priced too close to the 5, thus making the newer 5 a much better deal.

I had the sony ericsson xperia X10 I and it was the worst phone ever!
I swore by sony ericsson phones until then, now not going to touch them ever again.

Anyways, what do you think about the windows 8 phones? HTC has them under 20k. My wife / brother are all on Android / Apple, so do you think windows 8 supports most apps that are available in android / apple? T-BHP App is not available on windows as well, right?
Old 15th November 2012, 13:07   #9313
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks

my only issue about the 4s is that its priced too close to the 5, thus making the newer 5 a much better deal.

I had the sony ericsson xperia X10 I and it was the worst phone ever!
I swore by sony ericsson phones until then, now not going to touch them ever again.

Anyways, what do you think about the windows 8 phones? HTC has them under 20k. My wife / brother are all on Android / Apple, so do you think windows 8 supports most apps that are available in android / apple? T-BHP App is not available on windows as well, right?
I cannot bring myself to recommend wp, mostly because I don't like nokias.
If you're comfortable, then get the ip5 by all means.

I think you must have kept your x10 stock.
I used the same for 2 years, and only stopped as I moved up to the ion.
No problems ever, whatsoever.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:21   #9314
Senior - BHPian

omnia W is a brilliant phone (some 15k few months back).

wait for new wp8 phones (8x etc). i would recommend nokia. far better solid hardware than HTC (my phone took 2 warranty repairs). FWIW-HTC does a crap job of customizing software, as I have seen with the HTC chacha. I expect Nokia to integrate software much better.
Old 16th November 2012, 10:39   #9315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
1) Iphone 5
2) Iphone 4s.
3) Google LG nexus 4.
4) Samsung S3.
5) HTC Windows 8X.

Yes, the iphone 5 is the best, no doubt, but the most expensive as well. So unless it is absolutely required, I would rather not spend that kind of money.
Just to give you a background on my past experiences, I bought one of the first Android phones- A Sony ericsson xperia and had a horrid time. The phone had so many issues, mother board was replaced and the phone was in the service center for 4-5 months out of the 1.5yrs that i owned it. I finally let it go, replacing it with a samung Galaxy ace. The Galaxy ace is not a great phone, but I didnt have options and I figured that I didnt want to spend too much on an android device again considering what I had been thru.
Anyways, things have become better with android 4.0 now and I was thinking of moving to a much better phone. But at the same time I'm also very apprehenisve about the whole experience since Android devices dont seem to be trouble free. I'm not a huge gadget freak, use the phone primarily for personal calls, browsing and some basic apps.{ I carry a BB for official emails and phone calls}.
I was actually quite excited by the reviews of windows 8 devices, but I was wondering if it is the right move considering that every one is on an android or an apple. Windows seems like a big risk.
To me the 4S seems the safest bet, not so expensive, proven, reliable. But at 38.5k, it is just 7k cheaper than the 5.
I read reviews about the nexus 4 and it seems reasonably ok and i think it might be priced around 26-28k in India and seems like a good deal when compared to the 4s or 5.
Need your suggestions.

I suggest you get Nexus 4. Why? 1) It saves you some money. 2) You say you're a gadget freak, so it's a more of a gadget that iPhone any day (according to me). 3) It'll get Android updates for next 2 years at least. And Nexus will get immense community support in the future. 4) It's, as of this moment, the fastest phone.

I've lost my faith in Apple ever since the great turtleneck-wearing-geek walked past the pearly gates. Horrible, amateurish mistakes in their iOS 6 updates.

Just waiting for the official release of LG Nexus 4.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks