Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2012, 14:05   #9256
Team-BHP Support

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam planning to gift my wife with a Samsung S3 as I and she both are knocked over by its looks after a brief feel around with it in a mall.

The cheapest price that I saw for S3 on ebay is Rs.32,000. As iam not in a hurry to buy it, will the price drop in near future?

Also, is it a better phone than the IPHONE 4S?

We both are noobs in terms of Androids and its plus and minus as we both are blackberry users.
Not sure if the S3 is better/worst than iPhone 4S, but if your wife is someone who likes an easy-to-use phone with excellent features, iPhone 4S maybe the ideal option.

My wife has been using iPhone for past few years, and she now refuse to move into any other platform
Old 24th October 2012, 18:24   #9257
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
No I am also a touchscreen allergic person. So you are not alone.
I am now using the workhorse of E series, E63. Super cheap but with 1500 mA battery. Will upgrade to an E-series only. But later. Till this one is dead or gets stolen.
Money spent on Mobiles is a waste in my opinion.
I am looking for a non touchscreen as well. The Nokia E5 looks like the only decent option as of now.

Any suggestions on this would be a huge help.
Old 24th October 2012, 18:33   #9258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
1st thing 1st. Iphone 4s cannot be compared with SGS3, you need to compare SGS2 or some components of SGS3 with Iphone 4s, features present in Iphone 5 were something which users of SGS2 are already used to. SGS3 is way ahead of Iphone5 specs and much better in all aspects. SGS series are more valuse for money, but then as I usually always say, Iphones are always good to have, they make real good and posh paper weights in office.
Thats a pretty strong statement Shammi. Can you list out a few features that are introduced in IPHONE 5 but, already there in SG2?

Similarly, which features make SG3 way ahead of IPHONE 5?

Btw, someone was saying today afternoon that their friends were not having a good experience with SG3 ( call quality is not good it seems, is this true?)
Old 25th October 2012, 00:08   #9259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The Nokia E5 looks like the only decent option as of now.
1250mA battery will be a deal breaker for me. I feel that battery should be atleast 1500mA for any smartphone.
Old 25th October 2012, 05:20   #9260
Senior - BHPian

Posted this in the Android thread,but i think this thread is more appropriate.

I am in the market for a phone with a budget of about 15K,stretchable to 16K if its worth it.I have narrowed it down these requirements:

1.Android,ICS.
2.Dual-Core isnt a bad idea,Xperia U is a good buy? Rest all mostly run on 1 ghz Snapdragons.
3.Mostly have a 512 Ram and i think thats enough for me,i dont anticipate super-heavy use.
4.A bit wary of the homegrown brands.Micromax A100 looks enticing.
5.Not too fond of the Tipo range.

Galaxy S Dous,HTC Desire V, Xperia U and Xperia Miro are my current favourites.What do you guys suggest?
Old 25th October 2012, 10:09   #9261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avishar View Post
Posted this in the Android thread,but i think this thread is more appropriate.

I am in the market for a phone with a budget of about 15K,stretchable to 16K if its worth it.I have narrowed it down these requirements:

1.Android,ICS.
2.Dual-Core isnt a bad idea,Xperia U is a good buy? Rest all mostly run on 1 ghz Snapdragons.
3.Mostly have a 512 Ram and i think thats enough for me,i dont anticipate super-heavy use.
4.A bit wary of the homegrown brands.Micromax A100 looks enticing.
5.Not too fond of the Tipo range.

Galaxy S Dous,HTC Desire V, Xperia U and Xperia Miro are my current favourites.What do you guys suggest?
If you dont care about warranty and OK with plain android, there is Nexus S in the market which is retailing for 13.5k on hurrah.in and ebay.
currently it received update of android 4.1.2 from google directly.
Old 25th October 2012, 11:59   #9262
BHPian

Quote:
Thats a pretty strong statement Shammi. Can you list out a few features that are introduced in IPHONE 5 but, already there in SG2?

Btw, someone was saying today afternoon that their friends were not having a good experience with SG3 ( call quality is not good it seems, is this true?)
Hardware specs of both SGS2 and IPhone 5 are almost same, SGS 2 has screen which is a little bigger than IP5, Speed of processor and its performance is a little better in IPhone5 but all the features that IPhone is boosting itself with are present in SGS2 like wallet NFC (Via rooted rom) since more than an year.

In SGS3 there are many features like smart stay, touch n transfer etc.
I am attaching a picture with differences. Only one info which is different in this model of SGS3 is that RAM is 1GB instead of 2GB but SGS3 is a quad core model in India as compared to Dual core 2gb model in US.
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-samsungsgs3vsiphone5.jpg  

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 25th October 2012 at 12:01.
Old 25th October 2012, 14:55   #9263
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Anybody here still using the Nokia N79 ? I had bought it in 2009 for 20k & i have been using it till date. Its working flawlessly without any major issues. Only recently i got a new battery for it as previously it tended to heat up & die.
Only other irritant perhaps with the phone is it tends to hang maybe twice in a month or so. I wish to pass on this phone to my mom & buy a new phone for myself in the next 2 months!

Now i do not have any fixed criteria or budget about the phone. Have checked out a few phones namely - Samsung Ace Duos, S2, S3, Xperia S, iPhone 4S.
My primary usage:
- Making calls,messaging.
- Surfing the web(facebook,twitter).
- good camera (should be better than my existing 5mp of N79), should have sequence/burst mode.
- decent battery life.
- should be trouble free. intend to use it for 3yrs atleast!

I have never used touchscreen phones before so this is going to be a first! Don't have much of a choice since most of the phones coming out are touchscreens.
Have never used Apps before so thats going to be another first!

From the Reviews that i have read, i have norrowed down to the Xperia S which retails for around Rs 28k i believe.
Only negative's that i have read :
- doesn't come with ICS. or does it?
- Capacitive buttons take time getting used to.
- Micro sim. what happens if the Xperia stops working 1 day & i need to insert the sim into my spare phone. It wouldn't work i guess. (btw, im still using a 10yr old sim which reads maxtouch).

What do you guys suggest? I'm ready to wait for a couple of months for the prices to come down.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:06   #9264
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
1250mA battery will be a deal breaker for me. I feel that battery should be atleast 1500mA for any smartphone.
I don't think average battery life would be a deal breaker for most people. Almost all android phones require charging everyday. An average Nokia easily survives for more than a day on a full charge. Even if it doesn't, I don't have an issue plugging it for an hour or two before I go to work each day.

The bigger issue for me is, if I go for the E5 now, I might not be able to find another non touchscreen phone whenever I decide to upgrade from the E5. Hence I am thinking of those touch and type phones too, so that I can gradually get used to the touch interface.
Old 25th October 2012, 16:10   #9265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Now i do not have any fixed criteria or budget about the phone. Have checked out a few phones namely - Samsung Ace Duos, S2, S3, Xperia S, iPhone 4S.

I have never used touchscreen phones before so this is going to be a first! Don't have much of a choice since most of the phones coming out are touchscreens.

What do you guys suggest? I'm ready to wait for a couple of months for the prices to come down.
It would be easier to suggest a phone for you if you could decide on the smartphone OS - Symbian/Android/iOS etc.

I would suggest you to visit a nearby store like Croma to touch and feel the models from different brands, especially Samsung, HTC, Sony and Apple.

See what screen size you are comfortable with. I personally like 4 inch.

If camera if important for you, HTC One X and One S would suit you. Sony Xperia S and Xperia P are also good. Samsung models are not really known for their camera performance, but are not bad either.

Finally, if you are interested in Android phone only, post a query on the Android thread. You will get much better response.

Rohan
Old 25th October 2012, 16:10   #9266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not had any issues on my SGS3 for last 4 months. Voice clarity is really very very good.
Old 25th October 2012, 21:57   #9267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS
Anybody here still using the Nokia N79 ? I had bought it in 2009 for 20k & i have been using it till date. Its working flawlessly without any major issues. Only recently i got a new battery for it as previously it tended to heat up & die.
Only other irritant perhaps with the phone is it tends to hang maybe twice in a month or so. I wish to pass on this phone to my mom & buy a new phone for myself in the next 2 months!

My primary usage:
- Making calls,messaging.
- Surfing the web(facebook,twitter).
- good camera (should be better than my existing 5mp of N79), should have sequence/burst mode.
- decent battery life.
- should be trouble free. intend to use it for 3yrs atleast!

From the Reviews that i have read, i have norrowed down to the Xperia S which retails for around Rs 28k i believe.
Only negative's that i have read :
- doesn't come with ICS. or does it?
- Capacitive buttons take time getting used to.
- Micro sim. what happens if the Xperia stops working 1 day & i need to insert the sim into my spare phone. It wouldn't work i guess. (btw, im still using a 10yr old sim which reads maxtouch).

As a Xperia S user, I can say that you'll love the touch screen. It's super smooth. Screen is great- videos look awesome. The best thing is it has a hdmi port. I've watched many movies hooking up to my hdtv. It plays them very well. Yeah, the capacitive keys will get time to get used to. And it comes with ICS, Sony has also promised Jelly bean sometime in 2013. You'll love the interface. Personally I love Sony's skin to HTC or Samsung.

And yes, please check the modela yourself before making a decision.

Also, if you are willing to wait till November, I would also recommend you to wait for lumia 920 and 820 along with HTC and Samsung models.

Cheers!
Old 26th October 2012, 10:18   #9268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

You might find this useful.

http://www.gsmarena.com/iphone_5_vs_...review-837.php

Rohan
Old 26th October 2012, 11:08   #9269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Not had any issues on my SGS3 for last 4 months. Voice clarity is really very very good.
Thanks Viddy. It's relieving to know as users feedback matters the most. Hope your enjoying the phone and no known issues till date?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
I am attaching a picture with differences. Only one info which is different in this model of SGS3 is that RAM is 1GB instead of 2GB but SGS3 is a quad core model in India as compared to Dual core 2gb model in US.
Thanks Shammi. That image indeed gives a snapshot view

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
You might find this useful.
Wow! Thats what i call a comprehensive review. Will need some time to go through that one. Thanks for the linky
Old 26th October 2012, 11:24   #9270
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Viddy. It's relieving to know as users feedback matters the most. Hope your enjoying the phone and no known issues till date?
Surprisingly no issues at all till date. I have been closely looking out for anything that I do not like and surprisingly there has been nothing major that I have been unhappy with.

There is however one irritating grouse with the phone. When I am on a conference call using the headset or on speaker phone, the display times out in the stipulated time. To turn the display back on, you need to press the power button. Just touching the screen does not bring it back on.

Example: You are on a conference call using speakerphone. You put yourself on mute. The display turns off after the set time, as is expected. When you need to talk and unmute, you need to turn the display on by pressing the power/home button then the unmute button.

In the iphone, the display turns off as well but the screen touch is still active. As a result just touching the screen in between the call will bring the screen back on and you can unmute the mic.

Just a small niggle.

ps: My dad has now switched over to an iPhone 4 from his old Noika C5 and sister has got a new iPhone 5 after passing the iphone4 to dad. Dad also uses a iPad and I have just pre-ordered an iPad mini from my sis.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th October 2012 at 11:26.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks