Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2015, 19:52   #10636
Senior - BHPian

Re: Upgrade from Moto G to Galaxy S3 Neo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Just saw flipkart is selling the Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo @ 12,499 with 10% Cash back on HDFC Cards. Comes to 11.2k nett.

Getting tempted to replace my 1st gen Moto G with this...
My honest opinion: not worth it. All the mumbo-gumbo regarding the specs will be like comparing a Bimmer 3'er with a Skoda Superb. Moto-G is fast, runs on the stock Android UI, is sturdy and would get updates more often than the Samsung. Not to mention the bloatware that comes "free" with Samsung phones. If you are so much inclined to upgrade your phone, get a Xiaomi RedMi Note - got quite a few people who're using it, and find it leagues ahead of a similarly or a little higher priced Samsung equivalents.
Old 19th January 2015, 20:12   #10637
BHPian

Re: Upgrade from Moto G to Galaxy S3 Neo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi folks,

Just saw flipkart is selling the Samsung Galaxy S3 Neo @ 12,499 with 10% Cash back on HDFC Cards. Comes to 11.2k nett.

Getting tempted to replace my 1st gen Moto G with this
Are you looking for an upgrade or degrade?
A Samsung in exchange of a Motorola?

Motorola is not about the spec-sheet fight. You will understand only once you use other phone and compare it side by side against a Moto. As silversteed also mentioned, atleast S3/S3 Neo are not worth to consider at all, These are not even worth to compare against MotoE, forget about MotoG. You will regret if you do that.
Old 20th January 2015, 14:30   #10638
Team-BHP Support

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Dad wants to move away from Android, and we're looking for options in ~30k INR budget. He wants to try iOS (iPhone 5S/C), while I'm suggesting the Lumia 1020.

On the off chance he decides to stay with Android, I'm suggesting the Xperia Z1 compact.

His primary usage is calling, emails and a bit of IM/texts, he's not a heavy media consumer (music, internet, streaming etc). He does need a decent camera for his work (clicks a lot of textile sample images so image quality is a must).

Advise?
Old 20th January 2015, 14:41   #10639
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm suggesting the Lumia 1020.

On the off chance he decides to stay with Android, I'm suggesting the Xperia Z1 compact.

His primary usage is calling, emails and a bit of IM/texts, he's not a heavy media consumer (music, internet, streaming etc). He does need a decent camera for his work (clicks a lot of textile sample images so image quality is a must).
I would suggest to check out the Lumia 830. Checked it out a couple of days back, and found to be a very competent product. The size is just right, looks extremely classy in black or white back panel, and the 10MP Pureview camera is just fantastic.
Old 20th January 2015, 15:15   #10640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He does need a decent camera for his work (clicks a lot of textile sample images so image quality is a must).
That pretty much points to iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3. Thee phones have the best camera sensor.
Old 20th January 2015, 16:52   #10641
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I would suggest to check out the Lumia 830......
Thanks! 830 does look good and has decent specs. Compared to 1020: better design, bigger battery, WP 8.1 outof the box, lower camera spec, slightly bigger size(lengthwise?), ~25% more expensive. Enough to justify a premium over the 1020 which has the better camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
That pretty much points to iPhone 6 or Xperia Z3. Thee phones have the best camera sensor.
Thanks! The latest iPhones would be out of budget mostly (and I prefer the previous-gen design language), and the Android choices are only a fall-back if he can't find something he likes better on the other OS options. Z3 is a very good device though, but I like the 'premium spec in a compact frame' Z1C. Let's see. I'll have him try all options before finalizing, it's his phone ultimately.
Old 20th January 2015, 17:14   #10642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks! 830 does look good and has decent specs. Compared to 1020: better design, bigger battery, WP 8.1 outof the box, lower camera spec, slightly bigger size(lengthwise?), ~25% more expensive. Enough to justify a premium over the 1020 which has the better camera?
I have been checking out quite few reviews on the 830, and it looks the difference in camera performance is minimal (compared to the 1020). Other than that, I find the 830 more than good enough to justify the premium. Got bigger screen, classy body with the metal finish on the sides. Get your dad to check both the phones side-by-side, and I am quite sure he’ll go with the 830
Old 20th January 2015, 23:25   #10643
BHPian

Bought HTC One M8 Eye two weeks ago from Flipkart for Rs. 34,872. Was using a Samsung Galaxy S which I bought 4 yrs back & is still in good condition. Zeroed in on M8 Eye after a lot of comparisons with Motorola X2 32GB & Xperia Z2.

The most obvious change felt was the solid feel in hand. I simply love it's metal body. Well worth the money spent. Will post a short review in the near future.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:15   #10644
BHPian

Urgently need to buy a new cell phone for mom. Requirements are simple:
Phone calls
Whatsapp
Camera (random click a month)
Reliable and good battery life

Needs to be under 10k. The cheaper the better. The simplest option is to buy a Nokia Lumia 630. I liked the Asus Zenfone 5 as well but have read bad reviews about the battery. I do not like the mi. I was thinking of the new Micromax Yu but honestly I dont think those phones age well.
Mom currently uses a Bold 4 and I honestly thing Windows will be an easier switch than moving to the Android ecosystem.

The other option is to give her my old Lumia 520 and upgrade to a Lumia 730.

Options/suggestions welcome
Old 21st January 2015, 18:30   #10645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post

The other option is to give her my old Lumia 520 and upgrade to a Lumia 730.

Options/suggestions welcome
Hey Akshay,

Giving her the 520 and upgrading to a 730 would be a very good choice. I myself upgraded from a 520 to a 730 although I still use the 520 as my secondary phone. 520 would be suitable for her limited needs. And 730 would be the perfect upgrade for you. So a win-win situation
You should be able to get a Lumia 730 for around 14k with a Original Nokia screenguard at a retail store. Happy shopping.
Old 21st January 2015, 18:32   #10646
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
U
Mom currently uses a Bold 4.......
If she's already comfortable with a BB, why not look at the Q5? It's just slightly over-budget(~2k), but meets all your criteria and will give her continuity in terms of user experience.
Old 23rd January 2015, 21:53   #10647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amansanc View Post
Hey Akshay,

Giving her the 520 and upgrading to a 730 would be a very good choice. I myself upgraded from a 520 to a 730 although I still use the 520 as my secondary phone. 520 would be suitable for her limited needs. And 730 would be the perfect upgrade for you. So a win-win situation
You should be able to get a Lumia 730 for around 14k with a Original Nokia screenguard at a retail store. Happy shopping.
Even though this was a very tempting option, I decided against it. My 520 is already 16 months old and has had its screen replaced once. I think I will use it for a few more months and then upgrade.
At 5500, the Nokia 630 seemed like a smart buy for Mom's usage.

Quote:
If she's already comfortable with a BB, why not look at the Q5? It's just slightly over-budget(~2k), but meets all your criteria and will give her continuity in terms of user experience.
That was my first suggestion as well. But honestly, I am done with BB's. The Bold 4 was my primary phone before I switched to the 520. I spent close to 30k on the Bold 4 and the damn thing used to restart at will and turn off at times. The service center was useless and could never fix it and thats when i decided to get a no nonsense 520.

The 630 should be here in a day or two.
Old 24th January 2015, 15:34   #10648
BHPian

Blind camera test by Phonearena:
Nexus 6 beats the iPhone 6 Plus by a mile in our blind camera comparison
Old 24th January 2015, 16:34   #10649
BHPian

Guys any reviews about the HTC 816G ??
I am planning to buy that as my secondary phone. My primary phone is an iphone5 which is still working without any issues.

Just want an android phone for easy transfer of songs, videos, etc.

Have almost decided on the HTC 816G.
Old 24th January 2015, 16:55   #10650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohitj92 View Post
Guys any reviews about the HTC 816G ??
Don't know about review but thats a Mediatek, that too only with 1.3GHz clock. Looks far older generation than current standards. Then 720P HD resolution is not enough for massive 5.5" screen. Checked that phone on a store with my BIL when he was looking to buy a similar spec phone and wasn't impressed. Finally BIL took the plunge with Moto G 2nd gen which was just launched that time and thats doing the job fine since then. MotoG also has got stereo speakers similar like 816G.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 24th January 2015 at 16:57.

Most Viewed