Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2014, 17:31   #10486
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
On my screen its showing 'Looking for GPS'. Its not tracking my location at present.

Kindly help me understand when one says 'HERE maps works without signal' how does it actually works?
Most phones disable GPS radio in airplane mode. Example of iPhone :

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1355

To validate HERE maps in absence of cell phone signal, you can remove SIM from phone and try running the map application.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:03   #10487
BHPian

My sons samsung galaxy tab, fell from his hand and the screen has developed a crack.The tab is working fine but i need to change the screen,the samsung service centre is quoting a price of Rs7500,is there any other option left and if so where?All suggestions are welcome.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:11   #10488
D4D
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
My sons samsung galaxy tab, fell from his hand and the screen has developed a crack.The tab is working fine but i need to change the screen,the samsung service centre is quoting a price of Rs7500,is there any other option left and if so where?All suggestions are welcome.
If it's out of warranty, you could give it to a local guy and get it done at half the price.
Old 31st July 2014, 10:56   #10489
Senior - BHPian

I had a similar situation on my note 2 after it fell on hard concrete at an angle. Service centre was quoting around 9K and I got it done outside for 5K.
but the quality is not as good as OEM.

(1) The screen developed a bubble in the centre and also towards bottom left side there is a small patch where touch doesn't work.
(2) Sometimes touch screen stops responding and making screen go blank with power button brings it back to life.

So IMHO don't try to save money on this and get it from official service centre it is not worth it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
If it's out of warranty, you could give it to a local guy and get it done at half the price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vindrider2626 View Post
Old 31st July 2014, 14:02   #10490
BHPian

• I have a AIRCEL Karnataka local SIM used in my BlackBerry.
  • I came to Jharkhand for holidays and the AIRCEL sim was unused for that period(1 month).
  • Today, when i inserted the SIM in my BB, there was a SOS logo and NO SERVICE error.
  • To cross-check, i inserted the SIM in a old Nokia. I get a PIN Blocked error. I call Customer Care and ask for the PUK code. They give it and i input the code. The phone accepts the PUk and asks me to enter a new PIN code. I enter a new one and verify it after which it gives me a error.
Please help me out of this situation.
Old 31st July 2014, 14:27   #10491
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
  • I have a AIRCEL Karnataka local SIM used in my BlackBerry.
  • I came to Jharkhand for holidays and the AIRCEL sim was unused for that period(1 month).
  • Today, when i inserted the SIM in my BB, there was a SOS logo and NO SERVICE error.
  • To cross-check, i inserted the SIM in a old Nokia. I get a PIN Blocked error. I call Customer Care and ask for the PUK code. They give it and i input the code. The phone accepts the PUk and asks me to enter a new PIN code. I enter a new one and verify it after which it gives me a error.
Please help me out of this situation.
I don't have a technical solution, but if this matter cannot be solved, then you have to walk into the Aircel store and get a new SIM for the same number. It takes few hours to activate a new SIM, and perhaps some paperwork is needed as well.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:28   #10492
BHPian

I change my smartphone every 3 or 4 months.I was using Sony Xperia Z2 since last 1 month.It was a good phone,excellent spec sheet.But Sony's user interface is dull and is same since last few years.Also it is full of bloat apps like Line.I was using different launchers ,for breaking the monotony.Still I was not happy.

So I went ahead with LG G3. It has two varients ,one with 2 gb RAM and 16 GB internal memory.The other one has 3gb RAM and 32 GB storage .Both support 128 gb micro sd card.I am using 64 gb sandisc card.Works perfectly.

Compared to LG's previous attempt -the G2,this one is amazing.User Interface is extremely customizable.You change ICONS and FONTs even without using any third party launchers.Till G2 ,LG was blindly imitating Samsung,but now they have stopped that to a good extent with G3.

Runs on snapdragon quad core 801 processor clocked at 2.5 GHz. Mine has 3GB RAM and 32 GB storage onboard.

The best part is the amazing screen, True HD-IPS + LCD capacitive touchscreen
of Size 13.97cm (5.5) with a resolution of Quad HD (2560 X 1440).Only other phone with such a beautiful display is oppo find 7.

Comes with free smart case,where the circle cutout has different clock templates and even one app ( game) .Case does not add much bulk as you have to remove the "Amitabh Bachchan " signed back case first.
The case has another unique feature ,that's an inbuilt LED on the chrome rim,which lights up every time you open or close the case.

[EDIT: Sorry for the wrong information,the case has no built in LED,its just a transparent plastic ring,the light effect is from the screen.]

The 13 mp camera has Optical image stabilization and Laser guided autofocus, both work great.

LG is also giving premium earphones ,the quad beat 2 for free.Only down side is lack of stereo speakers unlike Sony xperia Z2 or HTC One.But speaker output is good.

I am extremely happy with my purchase ,so couldnt help sharing

Any potential buyer out here, I strongly recommend it!
Attached Thumbnails
The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03841.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03832-2.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03833.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03831.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03820.jpg  

The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here-dsc03834.jpg  

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd August 2014 at 13:54. Reason: Making edits as per your latest post. Please put some effort into formatting & including spaces (only) after punctuation.
Old 1st August 2014, 15:47   #10493
NGM
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
I change my smartphone every 3 or 4 months.I was using Sony Xperia Z2 since last 1 month.
Change phone every 3 months?So what did you do to your Z2. I hope you did't throw it away .
I would say LG G2 is a very good phone,so i guess G3 is surely going to be an upgrade on it.
Old 1st August 2014, 16:44   #10494
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGM View Post
Change phone every 3 months?So what did you do to your Z2. I hope you did't throw it away .
I would say LG G2 is a very good phone,so i guess G3 is surely going to be an upgrade on it.
No I exchange my phones
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:46   #10495
Senior - BHPian

Experts,

I lost my Samsung Galaxy Grand phone few hrs back. Dont know wether it was flinched or fell down, was travelling in local train. I called up Airtel to lock and shut the SIM. Before that made lot of calls to the phone but no one answered. I dont remember activating the SIM change alert either. So I guess I will have to live with the loss. Is there any way to trace the phone with the help of IMEI number? I was told that I will have to lodge an FIR for the phone to be traced using IMEI number, is that true? My office colleague had similarly lost his cell phone and had lodged a FIR 8 months back and till date no luck with getting the phone back.

Mods: If a seperate thread exists to discuss the issue, pls move the post accordingly. Thanks in advance.
Old 3rd August 2014, 16:51   #10496
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Is there any way to trace the phone with the help of IMEI number?
Android Device Manager
You may hope for some luck if you have activated it earlier.
Old 3rd August 2014, 20:36   #10497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilntny View Post
No I exchange my phones
What do you mean by exchange?
Old 4th August 2014, 12:55   #10498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Experts,

I lost my Samsung Galaxy Grand phone few hrs back. Dont know wether it was flinched or fell down, was travelling in local train.

I was told that I will have to lodge an FIR for the phone to be traced using IMEI number, is that true? My office colleague had similarly lost his cell phone and had lodged a FIR 8 months back and till date no luck with getting the phone back.

Mods:
Sad to hear, but i will suggest you to register FIR with police even if chances of getting the phone are none.

What if the phone ends in wrong hands and is used for some in anti social activity.

It is better to be safe than sorry
Old 4th August 2014, 13:02   #10499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Sad to hear, but i will suggest you to register FIR with police even if chances of getting the phone are none.

What if the phone ends in wrong hands and is used for some in anti social activity.

It is better to be safe than sorry
Also the FIR will be generally required if you need the Same Number restored to a new SIM from your telecom operator.
Old 4th August 2014, 13:23   #10500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driving_smartly View Post
Thanks. Did that y'day itself and was given a complaint no in written format by the cops. For once they didnt fuss about it. When asked the chances of finding the phone, was told if its within the state limit and if fallen in the hand of novice I can still get the phone back. But if its in the hands of experts, then chances are slim. Very slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path_Finder View Post
Also the FIR will be generally required if you need the Same Number restored to a new SIM from your telecom operator.
Since its a corporate card, I wouldnt need that but still have the document just in case somebody asks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks