Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2014, 11:58   #10456
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Howdy folks!

Here's a quirky request! Do you know of any smart phone that comes without a camera?

Recently, the wife has switched jobs and the current work environment is very secure. So no camera phones/iPods allowed.

This is quite irritating as she is used to carrying her portable devices with loads of media on it. But now, it seems that even internet access is going to be restricted at the office. So we are searching for a non-camera phone that has some multimedia capabilities. At least it should have the ability to play some videos, and browse the internet on 3G.

Any ideas at all? If yes, please do let me know. Thanks in advance! Cheers!
Perhaps you should nudge your employer to go for security solution such as Samsung knox they can disable camera based on geo - fencing and unlike other 3rd party solutions it is pretty unhackable.
Old 3rd July 2014, 12:02   #10457
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Friends,

I needed a car charger for my Xcent, and after some research, zeroed in on this one:

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-car-...mdfa6dfevk8zbc

Now my doubt is that i have a Samsung phone (Grand2), but wife has a HTC mobile. However the HTC Mobile works well with the default Samsung charger home as well as micro-USB cable.

Now the above product is specifically for Samsung, but it has a micro-USB port - which i suppose is universal.

So, will using the Samsung car charger with HTC mobile have any adverse affect (on the phone or car electronics) ?

Please suggest.
A charger is charger .. use bigger current rating charger out of the two let's say if samsung charger is 1 amp ans HTC is 2 Amp use HTC or vice versa.
The whole purpose of EU mandate for universal standard charger was to reduce pollution and ensure interoperability.
Old 3rd July 2014, 14:10   #10458
Senior - BHPian

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Here's a quirky request! Do you know of any smart phone that comes without a camera?

Recently, the wife has switched jobs and the current work environment is very secure. So no camera phones/iPods allowed.

INO 2 -- Runs Android 4.2.2 1 GB RAM and Quad Code MediaTek CPU

Street cost seems to be 17k:

http://chennai.quikr.com/iNO-2-NonCa...AdIdZ172367821

Apart form this, quitea few Blackberry devices have "Non Camera" versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Perhaps you should nudge your employer to go for security solution such as Samsung knox they can disable camera based on geo - fencing and unlike other 3rd party solutions it is pretty unhackable.
Knox and similar solutions are not reliable for this level of security... so her employer is not likely to depend on any software.

One example:

http://www.droidviews.com/root-att-a...knox-warranty/
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:04   #10459
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Apart form this, quitea few Blackberry devices have "Non Camera" versions.

Knox and similar solutions are not reliable for this level of security... so her employer is not likely to depend on any software.

One example:

http://www.droidviews.com/root-att-a...knox-warranty/
Totally orthogonal but

That is fair amount of misreporting by not so technical tech press.

Towelroot vulnerability actually does not affect the Knox container data that is data at rest or data in motion security. Neither it helps to bypass the controls applied on device. Knox warratey void bit is a OTP memory fuse which is one of the many checks. Other intgerity checks still work and they deny acess to corporate data.

Data protection is done by AES 256 bit encrypted filesystem and if the original kernel is not there the encryption key will not be released from trustzone storage. So suppose if you replace the kernel still encrypted data is not compromised.

Towelroot was result of Linux vulnerability , Basically in Knox devices boot security was hardened and enthusiasts were not able to bypass the checks at bootloader level and they found kernel vulnerability which was not plugged. A patch was ready within days as per press release.

FBI has ordered Knox

http://fedscoop.com/fbi-requests-265...-2-0-software/
Old 3rd July 2014, 15:05   #10460
BHPian

Quote:
INO 2 -- Runs Android 4.2.2 1 GB RAM and Quad Code MediaTek CPU

Street cost seems to be 17k:

http://chennai.quikr.com/iNO-2-NonCa...AdIdZ172367821

Apart form this, quite a few Blackberry devices have "Non Camera" versions.
Hi there! Thanks for the update! That is a great find. I had no idea that such a phone even existed!

Called up the number listed on the ad. Turns out it's one guy. Not a shop. Can't walk into any shop to place the order. I have to meet the guy, and then place the order. Not just that, the entire amount has to be coughed up even before the phone arrives. The guy said it will take a minimum of 10-12 days for the phone to arrive. Seems really fishy, if you ask me.

As for Blackberry devices without a camera, I've had the worst luck finding one in India. All are for sale on sites like eBay & Shop Clues. Plus, everyone has disabled Cash On Delivery. Seems like there is no choice if one wants a smart phone without a camera in India.
Old 3rd July 2014, 18:29   #10461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Data protection is done by AES 256 bit encrypted filesystem and if the original kernel is not there the encryption key will not be released from trustzone storage. So suppose if you replace the kernel still encrypted data is not compromised.
In this specific context, Knox will not be useful since Camera will still be operational if user has chosen to root the phone.
Old 3rd July 2014, 19:46   #10462
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In this specific context, Knox will not be useful since Camera will still be operational if user has chosen to root the phone.
In case you are interested you can PM me and discuss offline.
Basically as soon as a phone is rooted or custom binary is loaded or any kernel module load happens the software signature ( SHA1 checksum) will change this report after signing is sent to remote server and alert for the device is raised to IT Admin , All business functions are disabled but consumer can continue to use phones for consumer usage.

In case enterprise IT admin chooses to do nothing for people / device for which they have alert and allow them to carry devices in premise ofcourse
nothing can be done.
Old 4th July 2014, 09:46   #10463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Basically as soon as a phone is rooted or custom binary is loaded or any kernel module load happens the software signature ( SHA1 checksum) will change this report after signing is sent to remote server and alert for the device is raised to IT Admin
This specific exploit does not trip Knox. Samsung continues to believe that device is running official firmware and reports as such in Kies and device management console.
Old 4th July 2014, 10:17   #10464
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This specific exploit does not trip Knox. Samsung continues to believe that device is running official firmware and reports as such in Kies and device management console.
This is not the case warranty void fuse is only one of the multiple systems and it is not primary mechanism. Remote attestation server deployed by enterprise is another thing which can be used to check software baseline. in case of no report or checksum failure alert to admin can be generated.
warranty void bit was alternative mechanism for people who chose not to invest in more comprihensive systems. Government and defense sector does not dependd on anything onn device side.

if you need more technical info PM me.
Old 6th July 2014, 18:03   #10465
BHPian

Re: Windows 8.1 Device under/around 12K?

I would like to know of any decent windows 8.1 device with front camera priced under/around 12K. This would be for my sister, who is currently using a P500.

Please advise.
Old 8th July 2014, 13:53   #10466
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Their snapdragon 800 equipped Mi3 is in Malaysia for ~15k. That completely kills the MotoG!We should not be too far away from its launch http://www.mi.com/in/ is up.
Launch Announced .

Source : http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_launc...-news-8970.php
Old 8th July 2014, 15:20   #10467
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Friends,

I needed a car charger for my Xcent, and after some research, zeroed in on this one:

http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-car-...mdfa6dfevk8zbc

Now my doubt is that i have a Samsung phone (Grand2), but wife has a HTC mobile. However the HTC Mobile works well with the default Samsung charger home as well as micro-USB cable.

Now the above product is specifically for Samsung, but it has a micro-USB port - which i suppose is universal.

So, will using the Samsung car charger with HTC mobile have any adverse affect (on the phone or car electronics) ?

Please suggest.
I know this is a bit late.

I have been using that Samsung charger for the past year and half (incidentally bought from Flipkart). I have been using it to charge Samsung, Nexus, Sony phones without any issues.

I have not noticed any adverse issues in the car or in the phones, as a result of this charger.
Old 8th July 2014, 22:15   #10468
BHPian

Re: Lumia 625?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Go for lumia 625 eyes closed. my wife got this phone almost 6 months back and till date not even a minor issue, does not hang, neither slows down. Its a true power horse phone and VFM too. she switched over from samsung galaxy Ace duos running on android which gave her lot of troubles within 6 months of purchase, loving the lumia experience now. Last i saw the price on flipkart ~ 15K. Go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
I would like to know of any decent windows 8.1 device with front camera priced under/around 12K. This would be for my sister, who is currently using a P500
How about the overheating/quick discharge discharge problems on lumia 625? There is a lot of talk on net about this issue.

Does this happen, even after the upgrade to 8.1? Please do let us know about the call quality and also the secondary camera for skype calls, considering it is of 0.3 MP.

Old 8th July 2014, 22:30   #10469
BHPian

Quote:
How about the overheating/quick discharge discharge problems on lumia 625? There is a lot of talk on net about this issue.
6 months since my wife is using this phone and none of the above issues observed so far. battery lasts for 1.5 days with heavy voice calls and moderate 3G use. Also, the phone neither hanged till date nor it slowed down

Quote:
Does this happen, even after the upgrade to 8.1? Please do let us know about the call quality and also the secondary camera for skype calls, considering it is of 0.3 MP.
Right now there is no public release of 8.1 for lumia 625. just last week my wife was on business visit to US and we constantly connected via skype both voice calls as well as video chat. No issues so far and the video quality is above average!

Last edited by lazybrain : 8th July 2014 at 22:34.
Old 10th July 2014, 18:00   #10470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
Right now there is no public release of 8.1 for lumia 625.
How does 625 cope with just 520MB of RAM? I feel, at the least there should have been a GB of RAM for a 13K device. Are there any new releases of lumia 6 series, near future?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks