Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2014, 04:57   #10471
BANNED

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

I have a HTC desire X. It's slightly more than a year old. Recently, the touch screen went crazy. The touch screen is not sensitive anymore as in I have to press very hard, and it's supersensitive as in all kinds of stuff gets pressed automatically. The parts of the screen around the edges are nearly impossible to press.

I did a factory reset and the phone worked great for a week. Then the problems started again. 2nd factory reset worked for 1 day before the problems started again. I have very few apps installed etc.

Any idea what can be done?
Old 21st July 2014, 15:22   #10472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Hi there! Thanks for the update! That is a great find. I had no idea that such a phone even existed!

Called up the number listed on the ad. Turns out it's one guy. Not a shop. Can't walk into any shop to place the order. I have to meet the guy, and then place the order. Not just that, the entire amount has to be coughed up even before the phone arrives. The guy said it will take a minimum of 10-12 days for the phone to arrive. Seems really fishy, if you ask me.

As for Blackberry devices without a camera, I've had the worst luck finding one in India. All are for sale on sites like eBay & Shop Clues. Plus, everyone has disabled Cash On Delivery. Seems like there is no choice if one wants a smart phone without a camera in India.
Hoping you have found the required phone, if not here's a link. Might be hlepful to you and the seller is offering the COD option also
http://www.ebay.in/itm/New-BLACKBERR...item4623f0ed99
Old 21st July 2014, 15:59   #10473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer View Post
Hoping you have found the required phone, if not here's a link. Might be helpful to you and the seller is offering the COD option also...
Thanks for the update, but as it turns out any type of smart phone is not allowed. So even Blackberry phones without cameras are not allowed. .

So we got an el-cheapo Nokia 109. It has expandable memory upto 32 GB. So at least she can listen to music at the office, if not much else. Thanks to all who chipped in with their advice.
Old 25th July 2014, 12:08   #10474
Senior - BHPian

Blackberry Passport has been announced. Expected to be released in September.

Those looking for squarish phones, now have a real option.

Kudos to BB team.
http://blogs.blackberry.com/2014/07/...port-in-white/
Old 25th July 2014, 14:05   #10475
BHPian

Blackberry Q5 ?

Has anybody used Blackberry Q5? I would be getting it from my office and would like to know how is it compared to other BB devices say, Blackberry Pearl? I see that it uses a new BB OS (and touch screen), but, how is the Corporate Apps work (email / Messaging, etc)?
Old 30th July 2014, 10:20   #10476
Senior - BHPian

Any suggestions in Bangalore for replacing a touchscreen+digitizer for xperia arc S? Sony service is asking 9k, hence looking for cheaper options.

EDIT: How about Mobispares? Their website gives a quote of 4k for the touch+digitizer frame.

Last edited by ramzsys : 30th July 2014 at 10:23.
Old 30th July 2014, 11:08   #10477
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBR View Post
BHpians,

I am looking at a budget smart phone. My requirements are;

Decent rear camera (5 MP Minimum) and Front camera enough to make Skype Video Calls
Access Outlook emails (My official emails)
Access Whats App, Team BHP
Battery Back up for a day with medium to heavy usage
Durable - It should last for at least 2+ years
Good Phone Book Memory as I have a huge number of business contacts to store in my phone

Points 1, 2 & 6 are important.

Budget - Max 7K and can stretch by 1 or 2K more if required.
Time to take the plunge. Now I have an increased budget of around INR 10 - 11K. I have finalized on 2 phones but yet to decide which one to buy.

Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM - 9.5K
What I like - Outlook, Nokia HERE Maps, can open attachments in xl or pdf format which is very helpful at work & Whatsapp compatibility.
Dislikes - No front camera.
Moto G - 8 GB - 12.5K
What I like - Everything is good except for Maps which in my opinion is inferior to Nokia HERE Maps.

Any suggestions from fellow bhpians.
Old 30th July 2014, 12:24   #10478
BHPian

Quote:
Time to take the plunge. Now I have an increased budget of around INR 10 - 11K. I have finalized on 2 phones but yet to decide which one to buy.

Nokia Lumia 630 Dual SIM - 9.5K
What I like - Outlook, Nokia HERE Maps, can open attachments in xl or pdf format which is very helpful at work & Whatsapp compatibility.
Dislikes - No front camera.
Moto G - 8 GB - 12.5K
What I like - Everything is good except for Maps which in my opinion is inferior to Nokia HERE Maps.

Any suggestions from fellow bhpians.
Maps are in no way inferior to Nokia maps. But Nokia maps are available offline which is a huge advantage if you go outside the city frequently where there is no 3g connectivity. Google maps are very accurate and the traffic info is also pretty good. Nokia maps are also good but show traffic information of lesser roads. Answering based on using Lumia 525 and Moto G 16 gb for more than 6 months.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:11   #10479
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
But Nokia maps are available offline which is a huge advantage if you go outside the city frequently where there is no 3g connectivity.
This is one big advantage on why I want to consider Nokia Lumia 630 as I travel to places with less or no signal at all and the added advantage of to be able to open excel sheets as data on excel sheet's is the back bone of my company's business.
Old 30th July 2014, 13:18   #10480
BHPian

Quote:
This is one big advantage on why I want to consider Nokia Lumia 630 as I travel to places with less or no signal at all and the added advantage of to be able to open excel sheets as data on excel sheet's is the back bone of my company's business.
Folks adding feedback on HERE maps.

I am using Lumia 525 over an year now. Travelled a lot on National and State highways. Maps are good but not the best.
  • Not every road / under construction sections are marked or updated regularly.
  • Max speed warning comes in most of the major roads in Delhi & few main roads in Noida, Gurgaon but not in Bangalore, Hyd, Pune.

Last edited by OneToughRider : 30th July 2014 at 13:18. Reason: Added points
Old 30th July 2014, 13:44   #10481
SBR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToughRider View Post
Folks adding feedback on HERE maps.

I am using Lumia 525 over an year now. Travelled a lot on National and State highways. Maps are good but not the best.
Thanks for the feedback. I am not looking at the best but a manageable Maps solution which works without signal & the ability to view/edit excel files.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:37   #10482
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback. I am not looking at the best but a manageable Maps solution which works without signal & the ability to view/edit excel files.
I am not very sure HERE maps works without signal. For instance, if you are driving on a lonely empty stretch and no signal is available then HERE maps will show either 'Finding new route' or may even close without prior notification.
Old 30th July 2014, 16:59   #10483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am not very sure HERE maps works without signal. For instance, if you are driving on a lonely empty stretch and no signal is available then HERE maps will show either 'Finding new route' or may even close without prior notification.
I used both my Lumia 710 and 925 last week in the deep malnad region where network was non existent in many places. Here Maps does work without signal except for

1. GPS takes longer time to lock in. To solve this problem the phone should be kept LOS with sky, preferably over the dash or outside to lock into a GPS signal. Once it get signal its fine if we move it away.

2. Downloaded maps will load without issues.

3. Routing and destinations are limited and those destinations already installed along with the map will be available.

Else there was no issues either with Nokia drive or Here drive since I have both. Overall, the Here drive has more destinations preloaded and rarely needs online search. Nokia drive OTOTH has limited places offline.
Old 30th July 2014, 17:05   #10484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I used both my Lumia 710 and 925 last week in the deep malnad region where network was non existent in many places. Here Maps does work without signal except for

1. GPS takes longer time to lock in. To solve this problem the phone should be kept LOS with sky, preferably over the dash or outside to lock into a GPS signal. Once it get signal its fine if we move it away. .
I switched on flight mode, location services and HERE maps. There is no signal.

On my screen its showing 'Looking for GPS'. Its not tracking my location at present.

Kindly help me understand when one says 'HERE maps works without signal' how does it actually works?
Old 30th July 2014, 17:20   #10485
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I switched on flight mode, location services and HERE maps..

Kindly help me understand when one says 'HERE maps works without signal' how does it actually works?
It works because GPS signal is independent of the mobile network. The only difference is that the GPS signal takes a long time to lock in. When mobile network is there, the signal is obtained soon since it takes some information from the mobile tower.

If you have trouble regarding "looking for GPS " try holding the phone against your car windshield or a place open to the sky. It is necessary for the GPS receiver to have LOS with the sky for a good signal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks